Sign in to follow this  
Chiquita Fanjita

You never loose that love of watches

Chiquita Fanjita

As some of you know, my Dad hasn't had the best of health this year and has been in hospital since May, even knocking on deaths door days after he was admitted.

A stint in high dependency and then coronary care, saw him medically make it back to some sort of normality, but physically and mentally he is failing and after a brief spell at home in August for three weeks, was admitted back into hospital after having three falls and my Mum not being able to cope with his change in circumstances and immobility.

After being back in hospital for a few weeks he contracted the Novo virus and was put in isolation for over a week back at the start of October where he refused to eat or take his medication, resulting in him being put on drips and oxygen again. However, after getting better he has now been moved to a dementia ward in a geriatric hospital, although he only has the early stages of dementia.

Since going into this ward he has become very withdrawn and hardly speaking to anyone and just staring or nodding and shaking his head, but we are now looking at nursing homes for him and after initial resistance from him, he has agreed and think he has become more at ease with the idea.

Anyway, my main reason for posting was despite all this and his recent lack of interest in pretty much everything, I showed him my new Tudor Black Bay tonight and asked if he liked it. To my surprise he lifted his head up off the pillow and put his hand out to pull my wrist closer for a better look and took a genuine interest. He had a good look and nodded his approval and gave me the look of "not another watch".

If it wasn't for my Dad's love of watches rubbing off on me I wouldn't have the collection I do and be on here. So it seems that despite everything you never loose that interest and love of watches :)

onzenuub
:) Nice post mate.

dfq23

Your dad has good taste

RichardMiami

Best wishes for healing and comfort for your father and regards and strength for your family.

R

Rusty2801

Nice andy.

nunu78
Best wishes for healing and comfort for your father and regards and strength for your family.

R

+1

andyboy

I know it's been a tough time for you and the family.

Nice post mate,your dad's obviously got good taste.

:)

graman

Good stuff mate,

I've just gotten my Dad home after a spell in coronary care, myself.

Treasure he time you get with your parents....Dad never had a love of watches, but we do share a love of wood.

I hope the next chapter moving into care will be positive for you, him and your Mum.

Chiquita Fanjita

Thanks guys and for your well wishes.

elp

Great that you guys share this passion. I went though similar circumstances with my dad, feel free to reach out if you ever want a chat or have a whinge (it's important to let off steam occasionally ...). My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Chiquita Fanjita
Good stuff mate,

I've just gotten my Dad home after a spell in coronary care, myself.

Treasure he time you get with your parents....Dad never had a love of watches, but we do share a love of wood.

I hope the next chapter moving into care will be positive for you, him and your Mum.

Thanks mate. Hope your Dad is back to full health.

Great that you guys share this passion. I went though similar circumstances with my dad, feel free to reach out if you ever want a chat or have a whinge (it's important to let off steam occasionally ...). My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Thanks mate, that's much appreciated. You have got that spot on about a whinge, there seems to be lots of things that get to me recently.

Pob

R

+1

Gazzla
:clap:

rusky27

It's the little moments like that with your dad tonight that mean a hell of a lot.

Nice of you to share it with us Andy!

Not Quite Dead

I lost my dad when I was in my early twenties, well over 30 years ago now and still miss him. So treasure the time you have even if it has the frustration of the person you love only being there in part or for some of the time.

Good post, well written and makes us think about the things that matter. Hoping your situation gets better.

dave47

Very best to you and your family; Blessings for comfort and hope to your Dad. Like you, watches were an excellent escape for me after the brain surgery and long months of therapy and recovery. Helped pass a lot of troublesome nights. Peace be with you.

dave

Chiquita Fanjita
It's the little moments like that with your dad tonight that mean a hell of a lot.

Nice of you to share it with us Andy!

Thanks Russ, you're right mate. Its daft wee things like this that stick with you. Left hospital last night feeling kinda positive for a change.

I lost my dad when I was in my early twenties, well over 30 years ago now and still miss him. So treasure the time you have even if it has the frustration of the person you love only being there in part or for some of the time.

Good post, well written and makes us think about the things that matter. Hoping your situation gets better.

Very best to you and your family; Blessings for comfort and hope to your Dad. Like you, watches were an excellent escape for me after the brain surgery and long months of therapy and recovery. Helped pass a lot of troublesome nights. Peace be with you.

dave

Thanks guys, your posts mean a lot .

narikaa

Loose love of watches

I was expecting some torque settings

;)

But the post reminded me of the trials and tribulations of my father's passing, even brought a chuckle when after his death the hospital manager took me to his office and with great reverence opened the safe and passed me my fathers watch which I had to sign for and declare it was OK (Patek Power reserve calendar...hadnt the heart to tell him it was a raving 'Sexton Blake' :giggle: )

Corv99

Nice post Andy...

Hope all goes OK with your Dad mate, make the most of every day.....

Chiquita Fanjita
Loose love of watches

I was expecting some torque settings

;)

But the post reminded me of the trials and tribulations of my father's passing, even brought a chuckle when after his death the hospital manager took me to his office and with great reverence opened the safe and passed me my fathers watch which I had to sign for and declare it was OK (Patek Power reserve calendar...hadnt the heart to tell him it was a raving 'Sexton Blake' :giggle: )

Cheers Reg, that gave me a chuckle. Actually had to take home his Rolex GMT IIc a few months ago that I got from you in case someone thought it was real and tried to swipe it :)

Nice post Andy...

Hope all goes OK with your Dad mate, make the most of every day.....

Cheers Dave :)

Hornet

Sorry to hear about your dad and I can really sympathise as I went through pretty much the same with my dad last Christmas. Having to look at care homes is depressing to say the least.....

I had a similar experience with watches and my dad; got his dad's Eterna fixed (hadn't been running for years...) and took it in to show my dad and despite his fairly advanced dementia we managed to talk for an hour about his dad, the watch and my dad's childhood. Was wonderful....

Jamjam

Very Touching post for me after loosing my dad 3 year ago an my grandad 7 days ago. I wish you all the best.

Pseudonym

What a poignant sentiment Andy. Really touching to know that amidst all the issues, the interest you share with your father remains. Something that must bring you some sort of comfort, however little.

My thoughts are with you pal.

Rob

Or4n6e

Great post.

Ishmael

I have a 3-year-old son and he's become quite fond of watches himself, always telling me he wants a full watch box someday. Part of the fun is how excited he gets when I show him "what the mailman brung me" (my wife is another story). I think ahead to when I'm much older and hope that its still something we can share together.

Very sorry to hear of all the health issues with your pops, but such a nice picture of mutual enjoyment. Enjoy those moments to the utmost. Best of wishes to you and yours.