Sign in to follow this  
neogeo999

How can I tighten a Bell & Ross lug screw

neogeo999

I recently bought a BR03-92 via m2m.

One of the lug bars seems to have loosened, it slightly protrudes from its housing.

I can not find a suitable tool to tighten it, I tried with the right size flat screwdrivers and with Torx screwdrivers, without any success.

I saw that there are BR Strap Changing Tool but they cost 39€, a bit too much for a watch paid 100€.

Any idea?

greg_r

If it's one of the models that use the same arrangement as the gen (not all do - there's an annoying amount of variation, especially with some of the cheaper reps), then it's a hex key you need (actually two hex keys as you need one to hold the screw on the other lug in order to tighten), and they're an unusual size. I believe it's 1.3mm but you'd need to double check that.

I bought the proper tool, which made life a lot easier, but then my watch is an upmarket BR01, which uses the same size screws as the gen.

Sorry to be so vague, but it's a bit of a lottery with these...

neogeo999

From what I saw also my BR03 has the same measure of originals.

Where did you get the tool?

greg_r

Mine came from watchobsession.co.uk

Member X

Great link, cheers G :)

I think I picked up a 1.3mm hex key for mine, seems to have worked ok.

You may be able to order Gen replacement strap bars and screws but IIRC it's £8 for one screw so, like you say, not economically sensible really... lol

neogeo999

I'll try with the 1.3mm hex key i've got one 1.5mm but is slightly too big.

If that goes wrong I'll have tossed 4€.

I will let you know if it works

conx

I never found a hex that fitted. In the end I used a 1.4mm one (in fact two as you need one for each side) and gently sanded it on emery paper until it did fit. Not ideal, but it allowed me to change straps.

T0T0

Panatime has a set of two for $35.

T0T0

35% discount today use CYBER14 coupon code at checkout.

myaz
neogeo999

I have tried using the hex 1.3mm and 1.4mm but they dont seems to fit properly.

Eventually I discovered that two T4 screwdrivers are the perfect solution.

scottie83

The OEM Bell & Ross tools (and any aftermarket from Panatime, BandRBands, etc.) WILL NOT work with replica BR 03-92 lug screws. The hex holes are larger on the replica, so the OEM size will just spin. The tools that the rep makers originally included always worked best for me, but I was able to use a pair of bicycle hex tools to get mine to work (they didn't fit perfectly, but with patience I was able to get it).

Also, FWIW, buying OEM replacement full sets of tubes and screws from PanaTime, BandRBands, ebay, etc. WILL NOT work on an 03-92. These aftermarket tubes are designed for the 01-92, which has the same inner lug width for interchangable straps between the 01 and 03, but a slightly longer outer lug width, making the tubes too long for the 03-92. If you bought these aftermarket tubes, your lug screw would always hang outside the lugs about 1mm.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Scottie