Sign in to follow this  
plankton

2014 Noob DSSD- My next build (step by step)

plankton

I have had some of you ask so I'm going to attempt a pictorial build of the steps I take in my DSSD builds.

Before I start I typically source some links or the entire bracelet, a dozen DSSD link pins or screws, a white polish rouge stick, some Cap Cod towels, new O'Rings (I bought a bunch off eBay) and a movement from "b_line55cc" on eBay or of course my friend Vac.

One important note- If you ever get the chance to buy the first group of the second run of a watch (like this is the first group out from Noobs second run), do it. Ken Li has been telling me to do this for some time and he is correct. GREAT quality.

The first thing to do is time the watch on a timeograph and then adjust the movement so it runs as close to 0 SPD off at 3 angles, sometimes I get lucky with the A-2836 and it runs well. In that case I can put off the install of a Gen ETA 2836 but eventually that has to happen. Vac does that for me and will do the lume or touch it up when its with him.

The second thing is the bracelet.Always the links and screws have an issue. I will replace and high speed polish these and install. (pic 1 and 2).

-left is what came on the watch, rt is polished with a new polished screw and the second pic is with a finer polish w Cape Cod. I do use white or blue lock-tite on the link screws as well, Rolex uses white.

(These extreme close up pics catch everything.)

left- before, right half way polished and below is final

eZSgCZW.jpg

Make sure the bracelet is as perfect as could be then lightly hit it on a high speed buffer using my white rouge, buff and brush off using a natural soft brush. Then some Cape Cod.

Bycnv3w.jpg

And then the final

cgVHPNL.jpgXdwCKGv.jpg

Next while the polish is out I use my aluminum tape and a 3mm punch to make a hole in the tape that fits the pearl for the pearl mod. Apply the tape and use a small straight edge polishing stick to slightly round the metal edges on the pearl. Then hit the top very lightly with some Cape Cod before removing the tape (lightly). Nice end result IMO. Compare it to Angus's pics on his site.

es9iqh4.jpg

Next use what is left of my polishing stick and some Semichrome and polish just the top edges of the bezel, I try to make the tips sharp as I can. I like them to be sharper than from the factory and they look better in a close up. See pics.

uTank5B.jpg7GME0f6.jpg

Next I use some watered down windex and my soft brush to clean all the shit from polishing off the watch. I wipe it with a microfiber towel and then use a Cape Cod towell very lightly over the entire watch. Let it set up for 5 minutes and wipe it down maybe using one little spray of Windex and wipe again for pics. I'm ok soaking it with windex when I clean it because I put my new O'Rings already siliconed from step 1.

cYXxjHm.jpg

A couple of notes, notice how deep the teeth are and the depth of the lettering in the back plate on the new Noobs... Really nice, gen removal tool fits perfectly.

j86kemX.jpg

The lume is much better on this one, it is the first of the new run. Pics from 1 minute to 10 on the stock lume - sweet.

pXfb3Bn.jpgIfreUBx.jpg0PYnAJv.jpg

10 minutes

WAhHJEf.jpg

Another surprise is I found the engraving on the buckle actually engraved and not burned on the metal. The engraving is nice and deep. Still I polish this and clean it.

Before

CblFXP3.jpg

And after

lvQBZhs.jpg

ydAw3Nf.jpg

And my finished product, great pearl (I may not have a lume done on this one just the movement in the next week or so. The A-2836 is currently running really well, about +1 to -3 SPD which is pretty incredible.

With Jacobs signature hornback strap.

sLIra5N.jpg89vaXMP.jpgcs5Qj5C.jpg

plankton

Here is a look at the deviation in the link screws, 15.50 mm is perfect so 1st pic is great but the second pic shows one to long that needed to be replaced as well.

GSCF182.jpg

15.65 mm so a quick wetsand or replace (replace in this case)

KqoYPse.jpg

DSSD link- 15.50mm

SjRZzjy.jpg

nunu78

wow

nunu78

man what can I say, this DSSD is nothing but a true beauty.

sacsha1

Plankton, did you buy this recently?

ArcAngel

It makes me feel that I should click 'buy it now' button without hesitation

N.Rico

Thats Plankton !

im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

plankton
Plankton, did you buy this recently?
it arrived today. I just sold my last build.

sacsha1

Lol do you have one more?

Simms

:drool:

Looks great

ArcAngel

Plankton

'One important note- If you ever get the chance to buy the first group of the second run of a watch (like this is the first group out from Noobs second run'

Do you refer to the latest stock of DSSD Noob V7? ;)

Edited by ArcAngel

plankton

I am referring to this group available now, the beginning of the second run.

They just seem to me to be a lot better than 1st run stuff.

WaterfrontChemist

Nice tutorial! ;)

Rod Farva

Nice work!

plankton

Thats Plankton !

im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Your the man bro!!!!!

Colingwhufc

This is music to my ears,got one from bk on the way!!!!!

Quality pictures Plankton, you are the DSSD MASTER

Edited by Colingwhufc

Gacko

OMG that really is stunning. Will try to follow you on some very basic level of polishing, but man this just make me more happy that i opted for latest noob dssd.

plankton

I splurged on a killer strap, $350 from Jacob. Anyhow he just sent me my pic and my strap is in the mail. I went with a Jacobs Straps original "Hornback" in black.

Personally I think the 21mm to 18mm bracelet on the DSSD is wimpy, Rolex could certainly do better IMO. This is a 29mm with a 21mm cutout to 26mm at the buckle.

Sweet!!!!

8cfcf5c6-bb7d-4645-82e4-0533f17850b9_zpscd75bd24.jpg

ztrman

Wow. Wonderful work.

I could not agree more on the bracelet being wimpy. I have owned a DSSD for two years. I prefer bracelets over straps. But the DSSD bracelet has always felt under sized for the watch.

arctice

Awesome...just got my second batch noob from toro and it looked incredible. Had to give it to my fiance so she could give it to me on Christmas though lol.

Stuvetjee

I am referring to this group available now, the beginning of the second run.

They just seem to me to be a lot better than 1st run stuff.

So what is actually different then with the second run? I cant spot any difference when comparing my 1st 'run' dssd.

stormclock

What TD has stock of the second run? Everybody seems to be out. :(

What about the platinum mod for your mod?

Gacko

@stormclock toro has it in stock.

@plankton where can i get those link screws from? Mine are generally ok, but one is a bit too long and i would like to replace it. Tnx

Do you guys locktite screws on the bracelet?

stormclock

@stormclock toro has it in stock.

No he hasn't ;) He says he has them but he actually hasn't any. I won't be dealing with that guy anymore.

Any other option?

plankton

What TD has stock of the second run? Everybody seems to be out. :(

What about the platinum mod for your mod?

Everyone is actually out currently. Bummer....