Sign in to follow this  
lucas_buck

What watch to get next, Blancpain vs Panerai

What watch should I get next - Blancpain vs Panerai  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which rep would you buy out of these?

• Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
    • Blancpain Fifty Fathoms No Radiations
    • Pam 438 Tuttonero full ceramic
    • Pam 531 GMT

lucas_buck

Hi all,

I am ordering a new rep soon with some specific watches in mind and thought it would be interesting to see what you guys thought. Please vote and any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by lucas_buck

ShovelnTC

I don't like big watches but if I did my preference would be Regular FF and then Pam 531, i don't like either of the others.

That's my preference which of course make no difference as your not me!

lucas_buck

Hi ShoveInTC,

Thanks and I totally agree with your view. I have already made up my mind but just thought it would be fun to see what others thought.

Links to the watches are as below:

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms:

http://www.pf-818.com/bp00011-fathoms-ssny-black-asian-2824-p-15976.html

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms No Radiations:

http://www.pure-time.com/product/fifty-fathoms-11-noob-best-edition-ss-no-radiation-dial-on-sail-canvas-strap-a2836/

Pam 438 tuttonero:

http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=438&product_id=1265

Pam 531:

http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=531&product_id=1144

Edited by lucas_buck

Mike 1108

Just got the FF, Want the 438 - I don't have anything in the style/color etc. of the PAM - I have a couple of SS PAMs that I wear frequently. The divers not as much. I wear them as a "new toy" then move back to my PAMs.

Just my thoughts. You can't go wrong either way. But I don't like the sail cloth band and that means another $100 - $150 for a nice strap for a FF. It adds up.

Mike

UmpaHimself

I say the 438 but I am totally partial to black watches

Daywatch

While I like PAMs, imho there is quite nothing out of the box that compares to the Blancpain. A nice vintage build PAM with open caseback, a Cortebert 616 with a Rolex bridge, fully lumed, now maybe that would be another story.

BPPAM_2104_zps3803c72e.jpg

DW2_0751c_zps4590dfc6.jpg

DW2_0749c_zps63d70645.jpg

BPL_2779c_zps7d40b2e5.jpg

Simms

Fifty fathoms is pretty sweet

Cheesemonger

I would have to say out of those choices, the BPFF. It is just really well done, but you may have to buy another strap if you have over a 7" wrist.

lucas_buck

(un)Luckily my wrist is 6.75 so strap would be fine for me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the No Radiations version of the FF - does it cheapen the look and elegance of the standard FF?

Cheesemonger
(un)Luckily my wrist is 6.75 so strap would be fine for me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the No Radiations version of the FF - does it cheapen the look and elegance of the standard FF?

I think it has its admirers. But, for me, the BPFF no radiation just has a more elegant look to it without having the rad symbol on the dial. It looks great as a dress watch or even a little sporty too with the sailcloth strap. I use mine really for dress only and put a NuBuck strap on it.

P1020718_zps8fa08dad.jpg

P1020719_zps7319ee88.jpg

Horace Derwent

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (especially the vintage, No Radiation dial one) is one of the BEST looking watches EVER.

PAMs are good, but not at the same level in my opinion....and speaking about exclusivity, Blancpain is way more 'elite' than PAM.

OF course, i'm italian and so here PANERAIs are relatively frequent, don't know if in US or other EU countries would be the same.

B

GenTLe

OF course, i'm italian and so here PANERAIs are relatively frequent, don't know if in US or other EU countries would be the same.

B

Hi Mate.

I'm Italian too. From when I started to look at other's people wrists, the only PAM I've seen so far was wore by the Italian AD (General Manager) of HP Italy... I've seen plenty of (bad) fake rolexes, gen Rolexes, some Omega and some IWC and Breitling. But no PAMs around here.

Maybe you get in touch with different social levels: normally I'm out with CIO or IT managers, not more.

Back to the OP: I'd go for BP too. There are (and there will be) always a ton of Pams rep. But I'm not sure for how much the FF will be available (1 year only, maybe).

lucas_buck

Thanks for the thoughts guys. As I said earlier, I already had my mind set before this poll and it is going to be the standard BPFF. I am also really tempted by the Pam 438 but I'm figuring to get the FF whilst still available. Not sure how long it will still be around but the 438 being new should still be available to buy well into next year - when funds become available again.

As an aside, I paid a visit to all the fancy watch shops on Old Bond Street to look at the watches and try them for real before choosing which rep to buy:

The BPFF looked absolutely stunning, photos just do not convey the beauty and class of the watch. It was also very comfortable to wear.

The Pam 438 looked good, not standout good, but just quite good. The bracelet was what really elevated the watch - if the rep bracelet quality is anywhere near as good, it is well worth buying the rep

The Pam 531 looked really nice, much better looking than the 438 in my opinion. The dial really pops at you under the lighting and the polished case really suited it plus it looks good on the wrist.

ag69

438!!

Thrasher