Sign in to follow this  
PhillyRock

Stingray: Round One

PhillyRock

I kept looking at stingray bands. Over and over I looked with want and aww in my eye. I had to get myself one!!

Low and behold, everywhere I searched the prices were CRAZY. I couldn't believe how expensive a good Stingray band was.

I said," Screw it, I'll make myself one".

...............................Then the headache began.

I couldn't believe how HARD this SH#T is to work with.

Broken razor blades, pearls sharp as glass when raw cut, smells like death

when cutting with a rotary tool, tons of 1200 grit sanding and an experience I'll never forget.

Oddly enough, thru the entire job, headaches - pain - cuts - gag reflex smells,

I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

2015-01-05122601_zps2b59b283.jpg

2015-01-05122611_zpsd0d92250.jpg

2015-01-05122630_zps63f6886c.jpg

2015-01-05122641_zpsdc28664f.jpg

2015-01-05122713_zps5741cb28.jpg

2015-01-05122723_zps45207192.jpg

2015-01-05122733_zps0b705225.jpg

2015-01-05122750_zpsae01166b.jpg

Icemix69

That looks awesome, i must have one

fortman

Great work there matey..

Wonderful result and well worth the gag of cutting and shaping that shit.!

Did it smell like rancid fish..?

P4GTR

You want sympathy for making a simple straight cut strap using power tools?! :lmao2:

Make a few AP straps with inserts out of stingray, then lets talk.....

.....about your new highly lucrative career. :lol: The saying go's "when they ask for stingray, quickly say no thank you, no way, and back away!!

McJules

Now you know why they are expensive ;)

Great job on this!

I'm working on one too for a customer but in dark purple

3089C12D-F10B-4550-A7FB-2FA6735669A0_zpsxld4ch0s.jpg

I love the finished product but hate working with it

I didn't want to stitch it all the way but the customer wanted it. I hate how it turned out

Dendo

Great job mate - you strap makers are impressive - and what a difference they make to the watch.

neil

Awesome work Philly, I love the look of that stuff but had no idea how hard it was to work with...good job!

PhillyRock

I didn't want to stitch it all the way but the customer wanted it. I hate how it turned out

Your work is amazing. Leather, Toad, Stingray and every thing else you use.

I agree, stingray doesn't look good stitched because of the pearl pattern and the varying differences

in height over the skin itself. BUT,..you've pulled it off much better than I would have imagined it to look like.

The randomness of the pearl pattern doesn't let you set any template up either, for even a side stitch.

What may I ask did you use to punch the holes? (I used a .33 fluted ball etch bit on the dremel.)

.....and do my eyes deceive me or is that a flatter pearl on that skin?

I've been checking out some hide crafting sites for decorative exotics and what I've read/seen

some people sand down the pearls and re-dye the skin. Sadly the color isn't very deep and it scratches

when bumped (I.E. desk diving) which brings up the duller/lighter look when originally sanded.

HeavyKrush

Pain in the ass for sure. Try grabbing some row stone...

DSC_2966_zps647cdfdc.jpg

DSC_2955_zpsa2c22da2.jpg

avc0002

love it

Pamfan47

Great several questions. Where did you get the stingray hide? Only place i can find is ebay. Comes from thailand takes a month to receive. How did you punch the holes? Did you use dremmel to cut it? What is the lining I meant the leather that touches your skin. Last question how did you finish the edges? Leather paint ? Beewax? Great looking. Planning to do one for my bell and ross.

PhillyRock

Great several questions. Where did you get the stingray hide? Only place i can find is ebay. Comes from thailand takes a month to receive. How did you punch the holes? Did you use dremmel to cut it? What is the lining I meant the leather that touches your skin. Last question how did you finish the edges? Leather paint ? Beewax? Great looking. Planning to do one for my bell and ross.

Look harder on eBay, there are skins from a company based out of Texas which arrive in two weeks tops. The ones from Thailand arrive in 3 weeks max (from my own orders and experience)

I used a plastic guard on the face to imprint the hole design on the back side of the skin with a hole punch. The plastic was to prevent any marks or chipping on the face until my hole layout was imprinted with a little pressure. Used a Dremel first to initiate the hole, then worked the rest with a diamond rough barrel bit. .

I used Edge Kote shiny black for my edge. Edge Kote is a miricle for shiny black or brown leather straps. Haven't seen Edge Kote in many other colors but would love to know if there is more. (edge kote is a name brand leather edge finishing paint. Latex in nature and dries fast. Be careful though, it is easy to get an uneven finish using it, and it shows all flaws.)

I adhered the stingray to 1.5mm tanned leather. On the tanned leather (against the skin) I used .5mm black sheep skin for the super extra comfy feel. (3.5mm thickness is the result.)

Icemix69

Pain in the ass for sure. Try grabbing some row stone...

DSC_2966_zps647cdfdc.jpg

DSC_2955_zpsa2c22da2.jpg

The best AP & strap combo ever seen

Pamfan47

Damn you are good. Thanks for the information. I was looking at combat straps. Very good finish but so expensive. Stil buying all the tools and effort it may worth buying from him.