Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

kirbytherat

There's also a 15-30-45 bezel that fits for those model seikos sold by yobokies. Dagaz will have them soon too

Daywatch

what do you guys think of this? Good price?

http://www.ebay.com/...%3D171854896691

The price including the strap is good. It´s a stock 42mm Seiko SNZH57 with a Yobokies dial that cost $50+shipping or more and it´s a very nice one with the red lettering. I´d recommend someday buying the lumed $50 bezel insert upgrade (easy to replace with a Stanley knife) as it´s what changes the character of the watch. I often prefer to wear it instead of the 45mm Blancpain. And it´s a Seiko (non-winding/non-hacking/ waterproof to 50meter). I´ll let the comparison pictures talk and go get it out of the box to wear tomorrow:)

IMG_4537.jpg

SFF1024_0218c2.jpg

BP_byDW1024_0262fc_zps9cc2a072.jpg

wiggindude

I´d recommend someday buying the lumed $50 bezel insert upgrade (easy to replace with a Stanley knife) as it´s what changes the character of the watch. I often prefer to wear it instead of the 45mm Blancpain.

Thanks. I bought the watch. Where can I find the bezel? I searched on ebay and didn't see one.

Daywatch

I´d recommend someday buying the lumed $50 bezel insert upgrade (easy to replace with a Stanley knife) as it´s what changes the character of the watch. I often prefer to wear it instead of the 45mm Blancpain.

Thanks. I bought the watch. Where can I find the bezel? I searched on ebay and didn't see one.

Very nice, congrats on the acquisition. You have to contact Yobokies on WUS (maybe You must register for free to see the page). Scroll down to the bezel part on my review here for the links: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=72681

hkbob

I recently got a chance to see & feel the black & blue gen FF at the local Blancpain boutique. Some personal observations

Both are beautiful, but the blue looks more special than the black, more eye-catching, but in a good way. I would feel comfortable wearing the blue in the office, weddings, etc. - any occasion where the black is appropriate.

The gen strap and rep straps feel the same, the main difference being the details (how indented the letters are on the strap, slightly different shade in color). If you don't like how the rep strap feels on your wrist, you won't like the gen strap much better.

I have a middle-of-the-line blue rep (definitely not top) which, even compared to the gen, looks pretty damn good. Having seen the gen blue is making me inch closer to getting the top-of-the-line rep.

Noticeable differences between my blue middle-line rep & the gen:

1. Lighter shade of blue in the face than the bezel in the rep; same shade in the gen

2. Gen comes with a butterfly buckle; rep comes with a pin buckle

3. white lettering on the gen has whiter, thicker ink; the rep's white seems thin

4. the outer edge of the crystal on the gen is pushed further out such that you can see all the minute tick marks; on the rep the crystal's edge is too far inside and end up covering the tick marks so you can hardly see them.

Honestly couldn't find any other noticeable difference.

greg_r

I have to strongly disagree about the strap - I've had the gen on my wrist and the gen strap is a considerable improvement - yes, it's still thin, but it feels significantly better quality.

hkbob

I am guessing the cost of the gen strap alone can probably buy several top-grade reps lol.

I didn't do a side-by-side comparison. My comments were strictly first impressions - I took off my rep, walked into the boutique. Played with the gen for 15 minutes or so. Walked out, and put my rep back on.

Edited by hkbob

greg_r

Fair enough, but that's not the impression you gave with the original post.

hkbob

I love this watch. To me it's the IT watch - the one to replace them all. This watch is good for any occasion, from a state dinner to having a pint at a pub.

It's even built strong enough to take some abuse.

plankton

Very nice watch Greg, been eyeing one for a long time but just haven't moved on it as of yet.

Oh, thats right...... You have a new box to fill up...........

GenTLe
Has anybody fitted another replacement strap other than the Brady on their FF? I love my FF but the rep strap that came with it is too short and I am looking for some good options. Having a hard time finding 23mm straps that I think would look great.

I have a miltat one.

http://www.strapcode.com/store/23mm-miltat-kevlar-watch-strap-white-stitches-p-2528.html

Which also accept the rep buckle.

JazzV3

hkbob,

Did you buy the Noob version? I was looking at the blue Noob FF on Toro's site, but I have read some comments about the V2's having "mixed up" parts and not being the same quality as the V1s which sold out rather quickly.

Greg,

are you familiar enough with the V2 to comment? (black or blue)

hkbob

Sorry I don't know V1 from V2.

I know of at least 3 grades. The top (Noob) one goes for about $450. The bottom one goes for about $110. Mine went for about $220. (These are the lowest prices among half-a-dozen onshore Chinese dealers.)

The mixed-up parts problem sounds plausible. Mine might have been that (and therefore priced to offload): bad dial (wrong shade of blue, pale lettering), sub-optimal cut on crystal - nothing else big stands out noticeably against the gen.

Mine was either non-Noob, or a Noob with mixed-up parts. I suspect the latter, because it just feels solid, runs great, and such a joy to wear - except for the issues I mentioned.

Btw, FF with metals bands are out there. A dealer has been offering this.

Edited by hkbob

wiggindude

The price including the strap is good. It´s a stock 42mm Seiko SNZH57 with a Yobokies dial that cost $50+shipping or more and it´s a very nice one with the red lettering. I´d recommend someday buying the lumed $50 bezel insert upgrade (easy to replace with a Stanley knife) as it´s what changes the character of the watch. I often prefer to wear it instead of the 45mm Blancpain. And it´s a Seiko (non-winding/non-hacking/ waterproof to 50meter). I´ll let the comparison pictures talk and go get it out of the box to wear tomorrow:)

Thanks. I'll have to read through the steps to replace the bezel.

Very nice, congrats on the acquisition. You have to contact Yobokies on WUS (maybe You must register for free to see the page). Scroll down to the bezel part on my review here for the links: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=72681

Would the watch still be waterproof? The seller told me that only the dial was changed "professionals over at Dagaz". If I change the bezel, do I need to do anything to ensure that it would still be waterproof?

ringobingo

I've been heavily considering one of these as my first rep. Looks gorgeous.

Pesman

And just when I swear I'm going to take a break from buying stuff I am led to Brady Straps! Just gorgeous 2 on their way!

Pusaman

I think it's settled, this will be my first rep.

Member X

I think it's settled, this will be my first rep.

Going straight for the best available - I like your style.

Will mean you don't 'waste' money on lower quality stuff that you then have to upgrade later!