Sign in to follow this  
Bliew

Converting a PAM to a brushed finish

Bliew

Hey all!

I recently ordered a 390 off of the M2M at RWI and now looking at many pics online, I'm seeing how shiny the whole watch actually is. Now not being that flashy of a person in general, I'm worried that the watch will be a little too much on the shiny side.

I was wondering if I could get your opinions on whether or not I should keep the 390 the way it is, or get a brushed finish on the case. I love the way it looks online, but I'm afraid the flashy factor will detract from its versatility.

Also, if I do go the brushed route, would it be possible to DIY, or would a watch smith have to be involved?

BadPickle

Are you looking for a professional brushed finish or more of a vintage style worn in look?

Gazzla

Sandpaper.

Bliew

Are you looking for a professional brushed finish or more of a vintage style worn in look?

Was initially going for the normal brushed look, but it seems like the vintage style worn in look would be more do-able by myself?

How do you think the 390 would look with a vintage worn in look?

Sandpaper.

Hey Gazz!

Been reading around an it seems like the unanimous decision is a Scotch Brite Pad. Any suggestions on the process (different grit paper)?

Still can't decide whether a brushed/vintage worn look would be more versatile than the original polish finish

Gazzla

Scotch Brite will work, but it will take longer than some fine sandpaper.

BC1221

why didnt you just buy a brushed watch to begin with?

if youre determined to do it... get some scotchbrite pads.

tape up the parts you dont want scratched... like the crystal.

if you can take everything apart, do that.

use the scotchbrite pad and go in 1 direction. repeat.

Skrimps

Funny you posted this, I was actually looking to do the same thing to mine today. You will have to let me know how it comes out.

Bliew

why didnt you just buy a brushed watch to begin with?

if youre determined to do it... get some scotchbrite pads.

tape up the parts you dont want scratched... like the crystal.

if you can take everything apart, do that.

use the scotchbrite pad and go in 1 direction. repeat.

Initially wanted a 177 but the tobacco dial and vintage patina lume was too attractive for me. Still not sure whether or not to brush as I haven't got the watch in yet so hopefully it'll change my mind once it is in my hands. I appreciate the insight on the method.

Could a 390 be worn extremely casually as is? With the extremely shiny case and golden hands I can't help but to feel it is more formal

Edited by Bliew

Skrimps

I think it can be. I used to wear mine all the time. I think it's more about the strap on it vs the watch itself.

UmpaHimself

If you want a brushed 390 you can get a 351 instead and sell me the 390 :D

reximda
Hey all!

Now not being that flashy of a person in general, I'm worried that the watch will be a little too much on the shiny side.

I feel the same way. Have passed off Breits that were way to flashy.

I have no problem with my 390 though. It's a stunner, and not remotely ostentatious.

Bliew
Hey all!

Now not being that flashy of a person in general, I'm worried that the watch will be a little too much on the shiny side.

I feel the same way. Have passed off Breits that were way to flashy.

I have no problem with my 390 though. It's a stunner, and not remotely ostentatious.

Great to hear. I had to sell off an Avenger because of the flash, but its comforting to know that! I guess we'll find out when it gets here :P

Skrimps

The only reason I am going to mess with mine is it is scratched up really bad. Figured I would take some 1000 grit sandpaper and see what happens.

Mattcrx

What ever you do, DONT use sandpaper.

Use scotch brite and take your time you will get better results but Remeber only brush one way don't go back and forth.

Or4n6e

Scotchbrite pads 100%, I did my daily wearer 111 and I am really pleased with the results. It's looks almost like a titanium finish now.

BadPickle

Multi side nail polishers are the best thing to use on it, a few quid on the bay, start with the smoothest surface, that way you won't go too crazy and ruin it. Do the caseback as a test first. Easier to replace a caseback if it all goes to shit.

Good luck pal. :D

Genius

I refinished a couple of bracelets on rolex reps with scotch brite type pads, takes a while but if you are careful it looks good as new, never tried it to convert a polished case to brushed but it would be the same process.

I would study some pictures of similar models with brushed finished cases and look at the direction of the brushing (the lines in the metal) and then copy that

Skrimps

What kind of scotch brite pads do you suggest? I see a number of different kinds out there.

Genius

What kind of scotch brite pads do you suggest? I see a number of different kinds out there.

I used rep ones lol

Not actual scotchbrite just the cheap kitchen scouring sponge pads I found in the cupboard under the kitchen sink, no idea where the mrs bought them from but they were something like this

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?cstrackid=fe775cb2-c461-4c15-b64b-c9316884104b#/product/910000043175

Worked fine as well although I needed 2 to do a full bracelet and clasp refinish on a rolex

Teris

Maybe try a sandblaster. Be sure to post pics.

Skrimps

Very cool. Will have to run to the store today after work and see what kind of pads I can find. I have some 1000 grit sandpaper at home but will give the pads a go and see what happens. Hopefully something like this will work. http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-General-Purpose-Scouring-Length/dp/B00978XCOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422028873&sr=8-2&keywords=scotch+brite+scouring+pad

Skrimps

I ended up playing around with mine the other day and this is how it came out. I think I can still do a bit better on it but for a little bit of work I like it.

IMG_0580_zpsc55e0322.jpg

IMG_0579_zpsa5c68e16.jpg

ozon1969

You can also beat it with a chain to give it a bit of extra vintage :-)

Genius

I just did the bezel on my 299 last weekend from polished to brushed

DSC_0542_zpstqygn8nj.jpg

Skrimps

I want to find a way to do this easier than using a scouring pad. I wonder if there is some type of dremmel tool that would do it?