UK Watch Services

My opinions on various reps - a watchmakers point of view.

cufflink

Alex, I reckon that a miyota 8205 will be a direct swap into most 21j rep using dg2813? And they will be clean and reliable.

Any views about those reps using the 9015/8205 miyota out of the box?

Edited by cufflink

rusty peters
Alex, I reckon that a miyota 8205 will be a direct swap into most 21j rep using dg2813? And they will be clean and reliable.

A Miyota 8215 is not a direct swap. That is an unfounded rumor that was proven wrong by Katt.

cufflink

A Miyota 8215 is not a direct swap. That is an unfounded rumor that was proven wrong by Katt.

Care to drop a link so I can read about it? thanks mate!

Edited by cufflink

HeavyKrush

Fantastic post.

wqleow

Thank you Alex for the informative post. It's nice to hear it from a watchsmith. This information allows us to decide better when choosing the movement for the watches that we want.

A few quick questions should you care to expound on:

1) What is your view on the seconds @ 6 issue. Is it really a time bomb as suggested or would a good service be sufficient?

2) Would like to hear your thoughts on the miyota 9015, A2892 and the Sw200.

Thanks once again!

Dendo

Miyota and SW200 are great movements but getting them to fit and replace other movements is not a straightforward enterprise. By all means buy the reps with these in them though.

profsteve

Alex, thanks so much for taking the time to let us a little behind the curtain

myaz

Many of us wax with anecdotal stories but it's so much more authoritative to hear it from someone that's actually walked the walk. Many THX.

nunu78
Very interesting read that basically confirms what I've always believed about the various movements you mention.

should be a sticky

g.man

+1, great post.

Fretless_Llama

Thanks! Good to know info!

SSTEEL

Bravo Alex, I hear you mate, you have highlighted pretty much exactly the same as my experiences with reps, I couldn't ut it better myself mate.

greg_r

What a great post! Thanks, Alex! :clap:

IronBoy

Thank you Alex for a very informative post! Maybe with the help of our moderators we could encourage all our trusted watchsmiths to do the same and have a database so that all of us may be guided accordingly. We could also make a thread and ask our members regarding their experience with our trusted watchsmiths. Most feedbacks are positive which is great but I'm sure there are horror stories as well.

Thanks

digger2

Thank's for sharing!

cyberwarhol

Glad to have this review. Thanks!!

macdaddy14

Thanks for that Alex, A really interesting read to hear your views!

2hot2trot

A very informative review.

Thank you for taking the time out and sharing Alex.

Stewart

Very valueable information. Thank you!

black263

Thank you Alex for a very informative post! Maybe with the help of our moderators we could encourage all our trusted watchsmiths to do the same and have a database so that all of us may be guided accordingly. We could also make a thread and ask our members regarding their experience with our trusted watchsmiths. Most feedbacks are positive which is great but I'm sure there are horror stories as well.

Thanks

That's a brilliant idea. Perhaps we could start with Alex. You could even post your comments here. http://www.rwg.bz/bo...p?showforum=324

UK Watch Services

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, its the least I could do really - and thanks del for pinning it.

Hello , nice Information ! What can you say about tourbys? Im a Little Bit worried if they broke, where to go for repair :/

I dont work on these, my guess would be they would be a right pain, I'm not speaking from experience there though.

How about the Seconds @12 AP Roos? I am guessing they are a mess. Your knowledge makes it even harder to digest the recent price increases that we are seeing. We are getting what we are paying for with cheap watches.

I also dont work on these or any where the seconds output has been changed from the native 9 o'clock position. The one I did look at, I didn't like and I have enough work without having to worry about these. Saying that I did read somewhere that they were better now than they were - again thats not from experience though.

I didn't even know there were any price increases to be totally honest but its not down to servicing the movements or anything, unless they are so good that theres no need for them to reach me.

Cheers

harrykojima

thanks Alex, been looking for a new PAM and your post has helped me tremendously.!

nuke350

Aelx, thank you so much for taking time and share your experience with us. It is very different to hear opinion from someone wh is actualy working with watches versus reading long posts from wannabe "experts"

Pseudonym

Thanks for a very informative post Alex.

:clap:

wdev

Thanks for this informative read. Very helpfull indeed

2) Would like to hear your thoughts on the miyota 9015, A2892 and the Sw200.

I would like to hear your thoughts about this also, if you have any experience on them

theflyingdutchman

Interresting! Thanks! And what about the tourbillon movements?