Sign in to follow this  
davew

Trip to Hong Kong- Any Suggestions for looking at Reps

davew

I'm going to be in Hong Kong next week for a few days. Any suggestions on places to look at quality reps?

Russkiy Doc

Seand83

I hear the lady boys there have the best reps.

Left Coast Guy

Bring your computer, open your internet browser, navigate to www.trusty-watch.com......can't go wrong!

SackOHammers

Dave, I recently went to Hong Kong, Taipei, Bangkok, etc. If you like people watching, haggling just for the fun of it, and window shopping.... then by all means, check out the night markets in those cities. Just beware that you're going to spend a lot of money for low quality. At best, if you have the haggling skills of a carpet seller from the city of Fez, you might be lucky enough to get as good a deal as you would from one of these guys:

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...hp?showtopic=60

Don't get me wrong, I like to haggle and shop. I've bought a cheap rollie from a night market. But I did it for the fun, experience, being in the moment. But I had no illusions about it being a good deal. Hell, later that night the damn thing fell off my wrist and I found it 5 minutes later on the bar floor because of a loose screw in the bracelet (VERY common story).

Amazingly, two months later the damn thing still runs.

If you don't enjoy trolling night markets looking at overpriced cheap garbage, then spend your precious vacation time doing something else. Then get back and spend any money you may have left on a watch from a trusted dealer.

narikaa

Take a big telescope with you

On a high building you might just see into Guangzhou

;)

SackOHammers

Hah, can you take the Peak Tram up and see Guangzhou from there? I went at night and I was blinded by the lights of the city that I hadn't even thought to look towards Guangzhou.

RUSH2112

I love watches but don't understand spending time doing this in such an interesting place with so much to do other than buying a watch.

James.

Joel Robuchon

andypandy1961

Don't bot pal, in all the markets all crap

davew

Thanks. I travel to HK and most other parts of Asia a lot, so I'm no stranger to street markets. I general try to avoid them though and would never go there for a watch of any sort. I was more looking for a reputable kiosk in a mall or indoor market that may have high quality Noobs or something. I know of several in Bangkok and have bought very nice pieces from them in years past comparable to the best quality photos I've seem on this forum for about the same price as the trusted vendors sell for, but without shipping hassles and with the ability to inspect at the time of purchase. Was hoping I might find the same in HK.

<RJ>

Just not worth the effort. If quality reps is what you are looking for.

naidoo

Just not worth the effort. If quality reps is what you are looking for.

agreed i had my brother go to hong kong and i asked him to buy me a few.

yes they are cheap and "OK" quality but its very hit and miss

i only have 1 rep which i got from hong kong market which is a rollie (never wear the damn thing any more)

if you do go down this road MAKE SURE YOU ARE WILLING TO LOOSE YOUR MONEY!! just think of it as putting it in a poker machine and hoping for the best

THXuk

I was in HK and and mainland last October, I went for a little hint with a local. It was interesting but everything I saw was low grade and I got tired of the dirty looks when I did not buy. Bottom line is you'll get a far better result paying a little extra and getting from a dealer. The only thing I almost bought was one of the big dealer clocks (Rolex, pam, ap), as these were around 50 USD far less then dealers charge.

<RJ>

We just cant expect to get the same pieces the tds can, Because they have been roaming around the markets building relationships and reputation for years and years, Spending so much of our $$ to feed them.

BentleySharp

Yea. Go to Hong Kong, then get on your laptop and log into www.rwg.bz and take a look at the trusted dealers page.