xnview

Aqua Terra Blue Dial comparison (pic heavy)

xnview

Hello everyone. Sorry for my english in this comparison, hope you can oversee it.

So I have been a fan of Omega for quite some time, and after seeing the blue Aqua Terra in a store last year I ordered my first rep. I should have red some reviews before ordering the blue dial, it is good looking, but a little too smurf compared to the gen, in my opinion. Recently I saw some posts of the new version of the blue AT here and on RWI, so I thought, let's try that. I just got it today, and thought I would give you a comparison between the two of them. Even though I ordered it 10/2 and there was a picture of the new model at the website when I ordered it, I got the older version (the one with raised date lug), but I don't mind, I like them both, as long as it had the new colour on the dial.

The "surf" one is from spring 2014, Swiss ETA and has a very good timekeeping. Don't know the maker (or if there more than one), but it is from Josh at PC. The second one is also from PC, and has a myota movement (from myota AT maker I think it is the commonly called) and I haven't had time to test the timekeeping yet, might add an update about it later, but during the about 4 hours I've had it, it has been accurate.

Let us start with a picture I took of the gen in a store a year ago, I will use it as a reference:

IMG_3017_zps860affc1.jpg

It is in my eyes stunning, not much more to say there.

The one on the left is the Myota and the one on the right is the ETA:

IMG_3820_zps5f2b0599.jpg

In the following pictures Myota will be on left or the first one of the pictures, and ETA on right or second picture:

IMG_3792_zps0bafae8b.jpg

IMG_3798_zps22146e5f.jpg

IMG_3797_zps38ce8f15.jpg

IMG_3803_zpsdc21f733.jpg

IMG_3805_zps91cd617a.jpg

IMG_3806_zps8e42300f.jpg

IMG_3833_zps05108c52.jpg

IMG_3834_zps9fb36c71.jpg

The colour of the myota is a LOT closer too the gen than the ETA. It is hard to capture in pic (all pictures taken by iPhone, sorry guys), but it has the gen almost black looking appearance in dark lightning. In direct light the myota looks amazing, and reminds of the gen. The ETA has its best look in low light where the colour looks as much gen as it possibly can, but in my opinion the myota is a lot more gen looking. I believe the myota is a little bit darker than the gen. It is a vast improvement though, but of course not exact spot on.

In the pictures the myota has a slight violet colour, but in real life it is much more blue rather than violet (I haven't edited any of the pictures). To be honest the myota isn't violet at all in real life.

The printing on the dial is slightly more crisp on the ETA compared to the Myota, but the gen printing pops out more compared to both of the reps.

It is a little hard to see on the pictures, but the AR coatning is a little better on the myota, and the ETA has quite more blue tint on the AR. The gen has almost entirely colourless coatning, with an almost impossible to see blue tone.

Myota movement:

IMG_3809_zpsad8dc3c1.jpg

IMG_3810_zps69ec72bd.jpg

ETA movement:

IMG_3812_zps302eed69.jpg

IMG_3813_zps77b38f41.jpg

Well the myota movement has a decorated movement, it looks very nice. If you know your watches you can easily see tells on the myota, but I have to say that a person who haven't seen the backside of the gen actually can't see that the ETA isn't gen. I have had a lot of friend that had no clue how the gen movement looked like.

I love the ETA movement, it is very accurate (+2-3 sek a day) and easy to accurately set the time on. The myota I haven't had time to see the timekeeping yet, but so far it is good. It doesn't have the same precision when setting the time, and personally I'm not a fan of non-hack movement, during time setting, but that is just me.

The ETA is a high beat (8 BPS) and is very fluent. The gen is middle? beat (7 BPS), where as the myota is low beat (6 BPS). Compared to each other the ETA is more fluent, but compared to the gen, I would say that I personally wouldn't really see the difference between ETA vs Gen or Myota vs Gen, unless they are next to each other.

There has been some talk about shuttering second hand on myota, well when I hold it vertically it might skip a second once or twice during a minute. When looking at it normally (horizontally or like 45 degrees) I can't see any shuttering.

The rotor on the myota movement was very cheep sounding and noising. I've lubricated it, and it is better now, but no were near not as good as the ETA, which is almost entirely soundless.

Myota crown:

IMG_3811_zpsd6d0410f.jpg

ETA crown:

IMG_3814_zps074253cf.jpg

Can't see any difference there, both crowns looks good to me.

Myota date:IMG_3824_zpsdbab726e.jpg

ETA date:

IMG_3825_zps8510fb19.jpg

Date wheel is identically on these watches, both white instead of silver, and both sunken (witch gen isn't). Not much more to say there.

Myota clasp:

IMG_3815_zps570e2945.jpg

ETA Clasp:

IMG_3816_zps67b2253f.jpg

Let me start by saying that the ETA bracelet feels like a quality bracelet, and clasp is good, it has a little sharper edges than gen, but very conformable to wear. Myota bracelet has the same good looking finish and looks (inscriptions, functions etc) but that about were the similarities ends. The Myota bracelet has a little cheep feeling about it, very sharp edges and maybe slightly lighter. The clasp on the myota bracelet is NOT good, the diving extension can't hold itself, so you need to close the clasp for it to bee held down. When you close the clasp on the myota you have to press it quite hard, unless you press the release buttons.

Myota lume:

IMG_3830_zps206b8684.jpg

ETA lume:

IMG_3831_zpsb49571b1.jpg

Myota on the left, ETA on the right:

IMG_3832_zpsdb56c10d.jpg

To be honest I haven't tested the lume properly, they both look great when charged. I remember that the ETA quite quick lost its lume, but I haven't tested the myota at all. As a first impression the look quite similar to me, but I don't know about durability, maybe I'll test it, and make an update...

Conlusion

The Myota is in real life, in my opinion, very good looking. Don't get me wrong, the ETA is also very good looking, but I hate that it is so light blue, were as the myota has a MORE gen looking colour, not perfect, but a lot better. The decorated movement i good looking, not a fan of the first impression of the movement, but this far it seems all right. I really like the movement on the ETA though.. I don't like the bracelet on the myota compared to the ETA, but if I didn't have the ETA bracelet I would try to polish the edges, and it would probably be all right for me.

I like the upgrades on the myota, it's not a super rep, but it is by far the best blue dial AT I have seen (except for the gen of course). Hope this comparison can be at help to some of you guys.

Cheers :)

Stuvetjee

Very, very nice review mate! :) Thanks for sharing! Try to put the ETA bracelet on the Miyota version, perhaps its then perfect ;)

xnview

Very, very nice review mate! :) Thanks for sharing! Try to put the ETA bracelet on the Miyota version, perhaps its then perfect ;)

Thanks :) that is exactly what I did, and it is much better now. I'm considering switching the dial to the ETA movement, but that would be a future project.

Crixus

Very nice review! I agree the deep blue is so much better looking. I was just about to buy it as my first rep but I fell in love with the LMPO last minute.

Also your English is better than 80% of native English speakers :D

Lagger

Cracking little comparison, this took a bit of time I bet thank you......I.have the blue miyota and I love it and I think I'm buying the white dial blue hands model to complement it

Stewart

Very nice review. Thank you. Do you know which factories these came from by any chance? The reason I ask is if they came from the same factory I would expect that they would use the same bracelets. Thanks!

Cannibal

Very nice... so take the bracelet off the ETA and swap it and the movement into the Miyota dial/case and you have your super rep. :)

l3wyh

Great comparison of the two side by side,

I wasnt a fan of the smurf blue after seeing some other pics,

I'm just waiting on my deep blue version to arrive from kuvarsit :)

xnview

Thank you guys, for the kind words:)

Very nice review. Thank you. Do you know which factories these came from by any chance? The reason I ask is if they came from the same factory I would expect that they would use the same bracelets. Thanks!

I guess that the ETA maybe is a BP, but not sure at all. I don't think the bracelets are from the same factory, they feel very different

myaz

Just saw this. You sure put a lot of time posing, taking, uploading, posting the pics and then writing all your observations. Well done and appreciated. :thumbsup:

xnview
Just saw this. You sure put a lot of time posing, taking, uploading, posting the pics and then writing all your observations. Well done and appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thank you, I think it took about 1,5 hours all in all, I hope it can help some of you to get a better picture of the watches :)

Tiktok

hey guys

Sorry if this comes as stupid question but i cant seem to find Amanda's contacts

What dealer is she from ?

Thanks

Lagger

Kuvarsit

Member X

Great comparison :)

The AR looks much better on the miyota version! It's a shame about the bracelet but then, in Repworld, one thing gets better and something else gets worse to compensate... :D lol

xnview
Great comparison :)

The AR looks much better on the miyota version! It's a shame about the bracelet but then, in Repworld, one thing gets better and something else gets worse to compensate... :D lol

Yes I agree, if I stood to choose between them, I would definitely choose the myota though

l3wyh

Have finally got round to uploading some pictures of the version i got from Kuvarsit, and also put a bit of info up of the different version of this watch :)

lizmark

what a marvelous comparism! well done dude! gave me good advise in terms of ordering the miyota, ill go with trustytime

ImNotFatImFluffy

If only they could find the right shade in the middle, then finish bracelet better and put in a hackable high beat, then it would basically be a best combination of both

imranbecks

The darker shade of blue from Kuvarsit looks good. Kinda odd though that they didn't do this in the 38.5mm case size. That is the size worn in Skyfall and I prefer it to be at that size imo..

dator

Whats the odds this Miyota movement will go away, and makers will find a better alternative ? ... Am not really a fan ... noisy rotor etc.

henrychinaski

Lovely watch and great review!

Totally agree about the 9015 movement. I'm not a fan of that rotor rattle at all.

rawbaws

Lovely watch and great review!

Totally agree about the 9015 movement. I'm not a fan of that rotor rattle at all.

I think you'll find that the omega looking modified miyota is an 8215 not a 9015

Aluminum

I have the gen of this and that clasp is spot on

NicholasShelton

Have you been able to compare the Miyota next to a physical gen? Is the shade really that much darker or is it one of those 'barely noticeable' things?

sirlordcomic

Yes, BP vs. V6F KW. I know that Puretime listed the KW as dark/deep blue because it was so different from the old. Nice choice.