Sign in to follow this  
graman

Caring for your Pen

graman

Hey all,

Just as we care for watches, there are care instructions for pens, as follows.

1) Keep your pen from extremes of heat and humidity, do not leave it in the car glove box, wood can split under extreme conditions.

2) Don't leave the pen in direct sunlight for extended periods (days) since this can fade or change the color of many woods a few hours or occasionally is fine...it is a pen, after all, not a Picasso.

3) Do not immerse in water. Your pen is sealed and finished with several layers of CA glue and a coating of carnabura wax. Use a soft cloth to buff up the wax as needed. Occasionally, re-wax your pen with a light coat of a good quality furniture polish.

4) Do not use any cleaning agents. Never us any kind of abrasive pad to clean your wood or the plating. Never use any cleaning or finishing product that contains abrasives or cleaning agents. Car waxes and many household cleaners have fine abrasives or harsh cleaning solvents and these should not be used. In the case of harsh scratching of the CA finish, you may be able to get it out, using an automotive plastic polish - be very careful doing this, and start VERY sparingly.

5) Do not use any abrasives on the plating as the plating will be removed by the abrasive. Do not use spray-on furniture cleaner-waxes, some of these contain abrasives. Read the label first. This includes any stainless or chrome finishes.

6) Timber pens are not dishwasher or microwave safe and should not be inserted into any part of your body.

7) A fountain pen left unused for a few days may need to have the nib run under hot water for a couple of seconds. NEVER, under any circumstances, use India ink, as it will clog your pen.

Natural finishes - These are done with just wax and sandpaper, and will get darker as you use it, as it absorbs oil from your fingers. This is a natural trait in the wood, and should simply be enjoyed.

Cigar, Sierra and slimlines - Do not over turn the mechanism, as it will cause the mechanism to strip, and stop working. The only way to fix this is to replace the mechanism itself, which usually means sending the item back to me.

Please enjoy your pen!

trailboss99

Ah, that would be INDIA ink mate? :lol:

Col.

Brightlight

Graman I consider it very remiss and thoughtless of you, that a time when most of the civilised world is suffering snow and below freezing temperatures, you warn us not to expose our pens to extreme heat or sunlight.

Nothing like rubbing it in :lol:

graman

:P

Yes..india ink!

BL.....who could say? :dunno:

skintrade

Cheers m8 :P

Luthier
Graman I consider it very remiss and thoughtless of you, that a time when most of the civilised world is suffering snow and below freezing temperatures, you warn us not to expose our pens to extreme heat or sunlight.

Nothing like rubbing it in :P

BL. what about global warming???

:dunno:

Brightlight

Nothing like rubbing it in :P

BL. what about global warming???

:dunno:

Exactly my point in another thread. Here we are having the worst winter for donkey's years while the earth heats up.................? Huh?

JohnG will be along in a minute to point out this is a result of global warming, he knows about these things, he says.

Aren

Thank you Graman. Hope all is well with you and yours down under.

We are 16 hours apart in time zones so I don't get to see you here very often.

:P My pens are not dishwasher and microwave safe? Ok...good to know.

I can't wait to receive my lovely Sedona !

:)

wat44

too late for point 6...

Aren
too late for point 6...

ut oh...Wat...where did you insert it? Remove it gently and it may still be ok.

wat44

well, I wanted it to um age so I um....

Brightlight

I'm assuming penilingus will not damage the pen? Apart from possibly psychologically that is.

Oh Wat, I wouldn't try penilingus on yours now............

graman

Penilingus will not damage the pen, provided it has a CA coating.

Wat, suggest that once appropriately "aged" to your "satisfaction", use some tepid water, soap and a soft cloth.

Can't guarantee the finish, but it will likely be warm.

Strongly suggest against any oral contact, including Penilingus!

seclark007

Hmmmm, I think I just encountered penilingus interuptus.......

graman
Hmmmm, I think I just encountered penilingus interuptus.......

:wanker:

graman

That's fine mate...no problems at all :lmao2:

Otherwise, you could go the old Parker Quink! :banhamster:

Cheers!

:lol: