Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

Nomos Tangomat GMT (Story at the end)

ellistyle1

This watch adheres to the simple Bauhaus design philosophy, but it isn't simple. My words don't do the mechanics of it justice. You can read others' far more capable and knowledgeable words for a technical review. Rest assured knowing I've plowed through every google link 4-5 pages deep while it was en route.

The face is creamy silver. The movement is equally as beautiful. I'm tempted to wear it upside down on its first day out tomorrow. The GMT pusher button has an incredibly satisfying click; the hour hand snaps up an hour perfectly. The concentric circles in the seconds register are as hypnotizing as the balance wheel. The crystal has an almost imperceptible dome. The windows for the city and 24 hour times are amazingly crisp. I am not quite sure how to describe it, and its a detail that I somehow didn't anticipate even after pouring over pics of it for 24 months. The hands are subtly blue--iPhone can't handle that. The strap is nice and Nomosy. The case is a barrel. Much thicker than it looks, but it feels a perfect height. The lugs jut straight out like an architectural marvel. I am typically not a fan of polished SS, but I can't imagine a more perfectly finished case. My pictures can't do it justice, but I am still reeling a bit that they are MY pictures of this perfect watch. The Nomos Tangomat GMT is way smarter than anything that Apple announced today.

When I tried it on in AZ (it was a forgone conclusion at this point):

IMG_1231_zpsce791af0.jpg

Beautiful Packaging:

FullSizeRender_zpsv8pbdhmp.jpg

IMG_0262_zpszzwaknwp.jpg

Perfect

IMG_0263_zps3xnyfpx4.jpg

IMG_0264_zpstufskac6.jpg

IMG_0265_zpsfcu2egfu.jpg

IMG_0266_zpsnx5pebmg.jpg

IMG_0268_zpsyobmjmag.jpg

IMG_0271_zpsynak9rqt.jpg

IMG_0270_zpsqrtyzo25.jpg

FullSizeRender 2_zpsqgriprq9.jpg

I've been hanging around here for a couple of years now. I've learned a lot. I've developed my preferences. I've discovered brands. And I've purchased watches. Lots of watches have come and gone and I've enjoyed the process each time. You'll can see my path from some of the links. I have 8 pieces in my collection now. It's been awhile since I counted, but I've had something like 30-40 come and probably go.

I have horological bulimia. I've described my perfect collection. And now I'm at the point where I cannot have watchbox competition. This watch is amazing. Since the start, I've admired Nomos. The simple geometry and clean faces create some happy calming chemical in my brain. That might be some sort of crazy--it certainly is hard to explain. But it's also certainly true. It falls into a "grail" bucket and it feels amazing to finally have it on my wrist.

So for two years, I've had the Tangomat on my list. Had I been less impulsive I probably could have purchased it twice over--all part of my journey. I scoured the rep forums for a Nomos rep. I couldn't find one. I bought a Rodina homage. It wasn't quite right. I sold that, but felt the void. I found a black faced Rodina. It was less right. The new Tangomat reps were released. I of course snagged one and was pleased--for awhile. My job took me to Scottsdale about 6 months ago. I found myself at a Tourneau with a gen on my wrist. Given my propensity for churn, the rep just wasn't able to stay even as lovely as it was. Prior to Thanksgiving, I was offered a new job. It was a good move for the Ellis family. And it helped me justify a steep purchase. I nearly bought from ebay a couple of times. I had it in my cart on the Nomos direct site once or twice. I started researching chrono24 sellers and talked myself out of that a few times before finally biting the bullet. It took longer than I thought it would once they seller had my cash. It was just impatience. I couldn't be happier.

Ishmael

God. Damn. :drool:

I am so fucking jealous.

:clap:

Boycie

Very nice indeed, congrats :)

ellistyle1
God. Damn. :drool:

I am so fucking jealous.

:clap:

It is a watch to be jealous of. I'm still stunned. Thanks!

Very nice indeed, congrats :)

Thanks—I've waited a long time for it.

James.

Beautiful, very jelly as ive been lusting after an orion for a few weeks now.

ellistyle1
Beautiful, very jelly as ive been lusting after an orion for a few weeks now.

Get one. Very nice.

BC1221

Absolutely stunning and I'm so completely jealous!

P. S. You might not wanna put your watch on your laptop like that. They can magnetize a watch. I know it's proper German engineering but why risk it.. It happens to reps a lot more than gens but it does happen on gens.

Congrats

ellistyle1

P. S. You might not wanna put your watch on your laptop like that. They can magnetize a watch. I know it's proper German engineering but why risk it.. It happens to reps a lot more than gens but it does happen on gens.

Congrats

Woah--I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

Daywatch

Great picture (s)

IMG_0265_zpsfcu2egfu.jpg

Congrats on the Nomos Tangomat GMT, it´s a stunning dresswatch and a lot of watch for the money. And I really like that GMT-function and the display-type.

ellistyle1

Great picture (s)

Congrats on the Nomos Tangomat GMT, it´s a stunning dresswatch and a lot of watch for the money. And I really like that GMT-function and the display-type.

Thanks! The watch is way better than the pictures.

sbryantgb

It's simply ageless, timeless, grace and fineness.

BC1221

Congrats

Woah--I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

No prob.

I found out the hard way. :lol:

If you google, it seems to be a common problem on a lot of gens and the service centers warn customers to keep watches away from laptops and cell phones.

If it ever happens though, a demagnetizer is pretty cheap.

LightGeek

So nice...... Don't you wish they had AR? I've been contemplating sending mine out for coating.

ellistyle1

So nice...... Don't you wish they had AR? I've been contemplating sending mine out for coating.

Thanks, LG. I guess I haven't really taken note of that or it hasn't bugged me at least. I am continually mesmerized by the small details on the face and the movement that make it so unique. Honeymoon isn't over for me and will likely last longer than any other watch I've had on my wrist.

muzz671

One of the more underrated Nomos' I reckon

ellistyle1

One of the more underrated Nomos' I reckon

I'm partial to it.