Sign in to follow this  
Ant0702

Montauk DOA - Any ideas?

Ant0702

Hi All - just shipped in AP montauk m2m and it arrived DOA. I am satisfied it was working before it was shipped, but it now won't fire up. Guessing it dislodged something in transit. I tried gently air blowing the balance wheel and it flicks up and them stops, although interestingly the secs at 12 doesnt move with it. Any ideas on a simple fix or is it a strip job? If it is, who would be best to send it to?

Any help would be appreciated, I love this watch and am gutted it wont go!

I should add that I will have upgraded to VIP by the time I do anyhting with this - I know that some repairers have this as a criteria.

Cheers

Ant

elp

Where are you based?

In the US there's Katt, In EU I'd recommend Rolie.

torobravo

It is a very common thing on 7750 movements, wind it up fully for about 4 minutes

D_Chico
Where are you based?

Katt won't do 7750's ;)

But if you're in the US I'd be glad to help you out!..if you can't get it going after if it's hand wound then something is definitely wrong.. If it does work when you hand wind it but when you spin the rotor or wear it it still dies then that's probably a reverse gear issue..

If troubles persist then just shoot me a PM..

Good luck!

BadPickle

There were similar issues with a 7750 recently, as Toro said, sometimes they just need fully winding.

Good luck :)

MetalMickey

I thought hand winding 7750s was verboten?

elp
Where are you based?

Katt won't do 7750's ;)

But if you're in the US I'd be glad to help you out!..if you can't get it going after if it's hand wound then something is definitely wrong.. If it does work when you hand wind it but when you spin the rotor or wear it it still dies then that's probably a reverse gear issue..

If troubles persist then just shoot me a PM..

Good luck!

How could I forget you Dave! My bad.

Ant0702

Hi All, thanks for the replies. No, nothing seems to want to make this bad boy run! I'm in the UK, although I guess I could post anywhere. Just want to get it working.

Will be in touch.

Poolsfinest

I had similar problem with an AP Don recently.

I eventually persuaded it to run but it still had problems. Sent it back in the end and my new one runs like a dream.

plankton

It is a very common thing on 7750 movements, wind it up fully for about 4 minutes

I'm sure Toro doesn't mean wind it straight up for 4 minutes. IMO try to slowly wind it really slowly 10-15 times then ever so gently tap it crystal down and see if it takes. If it doesn't take tap it side to side to see if you get the hairspring back. If not I have my favorite modder that I will share over PM.

Ant0702

Having read up some more, I think it is something to do with the reverse gear. The rotor spins like crazy out of control..