Sign in to follow this  
RowLecks

My story and a warning re a supplier called SolidSwiss - buyers beware!

nuttcrac69
seems to me that the op likes to say the name SSTEEL at least once a post.

Yes, very fishy

Pratt

fishy ?

nuttcrac69

Yes

RowLecks

Hilarious. Now the adults amongst us will see what I mean about member-bitches and even cyber detectives. As I say, I help run a forum myself (sports related) so I'm familiar with them.

If Mods/Admin could put this to bed by confirming that I am in no way, shape or form connected to the watch repairer in question I'd be grateful, or they could PM me for my details in full. It may help the Keyboard Key-Hole Kates sleep at night. As mentioned previous, I will report truthfully my findings regards Micky/SSTEEL and this watch repair, good or bad.

You come on a forum for advice and help and within a week you're part of a Europe-wide conspiracy. You gotta laugh.

Edited by RowLecks

MetalMickey
Keyboard Key-Hole Kates .

:lmao:

Great phrase

:rofl:

megatronz0r

i mean if it really mattered it shouldn't be hard to the mods to compare ip's and some to a conclusion, if somebody is pretending to be somebody they aren't.

Genius
Hilarious. Now the adults amongst us will see what I mean about member-bitches and even cyber detectives. As I say, I help run a forum myself (sports related) so I'm familiar with them.

If Mods/Admin could put this to bed by confirming that I am in no way, shape or form connected to the watch repairer in question I'd be grateful, or they could PM me for my details in full. It may help the Keyboard Key-Hole Kates sleep at night. As mentioned previous, I will report truthfully my findings regards Micky/SSTEEL and this watch repair, good or bad.

You come on a forum for advice and help and within a week you're part of a Europe-wide conspiracy. You gotta laugh.

Don't worry about it, people just get really defensive of the forum, because it's a fucking brilliant forum.

I have no doubt you are legit, if you were a SSteel sock you would have been banned by now

Also I wouldn't worry about the watch you have with Micky he fixed a few for me and they came back fine, if it's a simple repair then he Should be ok with it. He was banned for lying and taking on work beyond his skill level, but luckily for you a service on an eta is something he is qualified to do

RowLecks

Don't worry about it, people just get really defensive of the forum, because it's a fucking brilliant forum.

I have no doubt you are legit, if you were a SSteel sock you would have been banned by now

As it is mate, I've had another email this morning from the "repair man" in question and the watch is now fixed it would seem. Rather than be accused of lying, fabrication or collusion by the Online FBI, here's what the repairer has said. If the Mods want to "chop" his words no problem. It's their forum.

Some more good news for you, if you check the photos I have uploaded just now, you will see your movement runs pretty much perfectly, and only needs a little regulating to get it running within COSC standard. Upon closer inspection of the underside of the crystal, and the red seconds hand, its this area which has been causing the irregularities with the running of your movement. The seconds hand has been dragging against the underside of the crystal.

So far, I've been happy with everything. I've got about 40 photographs of the thing, some of them quite scary when you see all the tiny components that have been taken out lying on the bench next to the case ! The proof of the pudding is in the eating though, so I'll wait on the final photos once the spit 'n' polish has been done and of course monitor the timekeeping once the watch is returned.

Cheers bud.

Edited by RowLecks

megatronz0r

Being a mod can be a thankless job in many occasions, especially depending on the subject. What sports forum are you a mod on? Just out of curiosity? The forums where i have been a mod or suggested to be a mod (motorcycle related) can be a real pain but a big part of being a mod is being able to keep an even keel.

Chavezzito

Calm the fuck down, if you as you say help run a forum then you should know how to just ignore comments that ticks you.

You have been given info from some members and some think you are working undercover, chill and time will tell what is what and who is who.

*edit good advice from 85genius...I type slow as usual.

trailboss99

:facepalm: No, the owner of SolidSwiss doesn't care for us. We gave him a very hard time back when he joined the earlier version of this board (his site was known as BestSwiss at that time).

He's a well-known scammer and has been ripping people off for years. Sorry you got caught...

LOL, I wish we still had that thread, poor James :lol:

RowLecks

Calm down? Moi? Chill?

:giggle:

I'm that laid back I'm horizontal. In fact some of the posts on this forum had me giggling this morning. Working undercover? :giggle: Too much CSI methinks.

I look forward to Admins expose of my duplicity and revelations that I'm really "the watch repairers" long lost cousin. I came on a hooky watch forum for advice. I can't get too excited about it to be honest mate. :stars:

Chavezzito

Calm down? Moi? Chill?

:giggle:

I'm that laid back I'm horizontal. In fact some of the posts on this forum had me giggling this morning. Working undercover? :giggle: Too much CSI methinks.

I look forward to Admins expose of my duplicity and revelations that I'm really "the watch repairers" long lost cousin. I came on a hooky watch forum for advice. I can't get too excited about it to be honest mate. :stars:

Give it itme...some of us are quite fun :lol:

RowLecks

Being a mod can be a thankless job in many occasions, especially depending on the subject. What sports forum are you a mod on? Just out of curiosity? The forums where i have been a mod or suggested to be a mod (motorcycle related) can be a real pain but a big part of being a mod is being able to keep an even keel.

A martial arts forum.

I've seen it all over the years. Online paranoia and cyber-detectives can be a terrible thing. :Sleepy:

Chavezzito

Oh...martial arts huh? We got ourselves a ninja!! :ninja:

nuttcrac69

Don't be so sensitive. I now see why you seemed suspicious. You tend to over explain things and that looks suspect.

All in good fun mate.............. :lol::thumbsup:

conx

Remember, this is a replica watch forum that prides itself on being very lightly moderated.

In fact we don't have any mods, they are all fake.

megatronz0r

Remember, this is a replica watch forum that prides itself on being very lightly moderated.

In fact we don't have any mods, they are all fake.

they are not fake they are replicas but 1:1 AAA+++

RowLecks

Don't be so sensitive. I now see why you seemed suspicious. You tend to over explain things and that looks suspect.

All in good fun mate.............. :lol::thumbsup:

Hahahahahaha! Sensitive? I'll do the jokes round here Columbo. :timmytwitch:

greg_r

Hey Rowlecks: I for one am pleased that Micky got your watch sorted. I figured the watch would probably be decent quality - just rather overpriced for what it is. Actually, if anything, it seems that James has dropped his prices since his days at BestSwiss - I know of at least one member here who got stung for well over a grand!

Enjoy the watch when you get it back, mate.

RowLecks

Hey Rowlecks: I for one am pleased that Micky got your watch sorted. I figured the watch would probably be decent quality - just rather overpriced for what it is. Actually, if anything, it seems that James has dropped his prices since his days at BestSwiss - I know of at least one member here who got stung for well over a grand!

Enjoy the watch when you get it back, mate.

Ah, sanity at last. Thanks Greg, appreciated. For what it's worth, I had a look back and I paid $550 for it, including shipping, so around £340. I think that's a bit dearer than the recommended dealers on here (whom I will of course use in future) but I did have him put a red second hand on it instead of the standard gold one and he also supplied a box/papers etc. I'm not sure if things like that are extra with your trusted dealers or they would have thrown those things in for free anyway....

When the watch arrived, I was very pleased with it. I compared it to one in a Rolex franchise and couldn't tell the difference. Previous to that, I had only ever had poor quality copies bought whilst in Thailand. The "watch repairer" reckons it's the same manufacturer as supplied by a couple of the recommended lads on here, and it does have an ETA movement, so it's not all bad news it would seem.

As I said in an earlier post mate, I will report HONESTLY on how I find the service provided by said watch repair man. I'm not looking to falsely praise his work nor am I looking to slag the bloke off. I'll just say it like it is.

greg_r

Yep - it's probably from the BP factory. The movement is likely to be used and refurbished at some point (quite possibly with some asian parts - there haven't been any brand new ETA's in the rep market since Swatch stopped supplying ebauches outside their own group of companies a while back), but with a good service it should last well...

Even with the box and papers you've still overpaid a bit (it wouldn't be James if you hadn't ;) ) but you could have done a LOT worse.

As for SSTEEL, well let's just say that a lot of the folks who have sent simpler jobs to him (basic non-chrono movement servicing such as yours, for instance) have been happy. He has a nasty tendency to take on jobs that he really doesn't have the competence to handle, unfortunately, which is where the problems arose and is, in part, why we ended up having to boot him out - but this sort of job should be within his capabilities.

RowLecks

Yep - it's probably from the BP factory. The movement is likely to be used and refurbished at some point (quite possibly with some asian parts - there haven't been any brand new ETA's in the rep market since Swatch stopped supplying ebauches outside their own group of companies a while back), but with a good service it should last well...

Even with the box and papers you've still overpaid a bit (it wouldn't be James if you hadn't ;) ) but you could have done a LOT worse.

As for SSTEEL, well let's just say that a lot of the folks who have sent simpler jobs to him (basic non-chrono movement servicing such as yours, for instance) have been happy. He has a nasty tendency to take on jobs that he really doesn't have the competence to handle, unfortunately, which is where the problems arose and is, in part, why we ended up having to boot him out - but this sort of job should be within his capabilities.

Okay mate, I agree 100% he shouldn't take on jobs he can't handle. He's emailed again to say the watch is good to come home after a 48-hour "time test" thing. Yes, it was the BP factory that was mentioned by SSTEEL. You are spot on - it is a Swiss movement with a few Asian parts, which SSTEEL has now replaced with Swiss.

I reckon I overpaid by around £100-ish looking at the prices your trusted dealers charge. I'll put it down to experience and not lose any sleep over it. You live and learn.

Cheers.

greg_r

Yup - sounds about right. Enjoy the watch, mate.

JSJ

Thank goodness this has settled down to a normal thread. Really pleased it looks like the outcome will be OK.