Sign in to follow this  
nikking1967

Omega Aqua Terra - Ryder Cup

nikking1967

I have always loved the Classic look of the Omega Aqua Terra range and especially when in 41.5mm case size. when I saw one of these Ryder Cup Captains watches in 2012, I thought 'what a stunning watch...I have to have one' but at £3850.00GBP a little too much.

So when I saw earlier last year that a few of the REP sites were now doing these, there was only one option - Buy one! I got this from Andrew at Trusty Time and as soon as it arrived, it instantly became my all time favourite wrist watch. Such a stunning watch of the wrist, with so much 'presence' and quality about it.

15392328435_5b15c28a02_h.jpg

The case is exactly the same size as the Genuine one at 41.5mm and the bracelet has the same polished centre link section, again, exactly as the real thing. The markings on the case back are spot on and with a weight and attention to detail that really does make you think its a true offering from Omega!

The bracelet links are a work of Art too. Each one is internally sleeved with two screws either end of each link that keep the pins in place. Taking these out and refitting them is an absolute 'Bugger' and care needs to be taken to do this such that the screws end up exactly flush with the link faces, otherwise they could protrude and it would just no feel right. The links are well polished and it feels very silky smooth, with no sharp edges at all.

15205644610_12ede30562_k.jpg

The Dial is a marvellous recreation of the Timber deck effect that Omega use on their Aqua Terra range with an incredibly accurate tooling of the lines, they are perfectly crisp and precise, as are the luminous batten markers too. Everything is correctly positioned, of the right proportions and with such a high degree of finishing. Even the' Bluing' of the hands is done with a perfect lustrous finish and in the correct depth of colour! The second hand even has the correct gold tip to finish this Homage off to a 'T'

15392000102_ebc775426d_k.jpg

15391998112_6186542951_k.jpg

The Omega Logo on this watch, is as the Gen an ink Font instead of the traditional Omega 'applied' logo. No idea why Omega went down this route with this Captains watch, but they did and hence this replica has copied the it exactly.

15205572489_e3c5f695e5_k.jpg

The sapphire crystal exhibition case back reveals the decorated rotor which copies the one used on the 'real' coaxial movement from Omega in most of their range these day. The rotor is extremely good, and moves totally silently winding in both directions. I went for the 'Swiss' 2836 movement and this has the same 28,000BPH as used by the genuine. Obviously this is not a coaxial movement and is not anti-magnetic, but it does have a very smooth beat indeed, with the second hand just gliding round the dial smoothly. Apart from the rotor, the rest of the movement lacks the degree of decoration that Omega lavish on their offerings and this 2836 has the stock appearance of these good quality movements.

The crown is screw down and has a very good action, with winding from the stem and really precise setting - no 'slop' or 'play' at all when moving the hands and you really can get an absolute precise setting, and of course its a hacking movement. The date changes with an instantaneous 'click' at 12:00 midnight exactly and with the usual quick-set available crown position-2.....This Asian 'Swiss' movement a copy of the ETA 2836 really does again give a sense of quality with this watch movement.

15205734618_2466fa4806_k.jpg

Accuracy is very good, when I got it at first, it ran about 15 seconds a day fast. I left it a month of wearing daily use and then had a go at regulating the time keeping -which I have got to a consistent +2/3 seconds per day and that's into the realms of full COSC certification territory!

It will run for 45 hours from fully wound if left untouched, but to be honest, I really cannot keep it off my wrist, so its always running - I reset the time once per week and just have to stop it on the hack for about 15 seconds a week - really impressive stuff I think..

This watch has great details all over and things like the quality of casting and finishing on the crown Omega Logo is just so good......

15205734018_e706f53d53_k.jpg

The Anti-Reflective coating on the dial crystal is actually better than the real thing, (my Brother in Law has a Gen, and this caused a stir I can tell you!) The coating completely eliminates reflections and at most angles, its looks just like there is no crystal there at all!

15205805017_a0695b095f_k.jpg

So after all this, there is just one fault, one niggle, that if you really look you will see.... the 'D' on Swiss Made at the bottom of the dial. I missed this in the QA pics sent to me, and did not spot it until I had taken these high rez macro shots - so that will serve me right wont it.

Anyway, |I do not think you can get any better than this, other than the real thing - and that's 18x more than I paid for this.

Regards to all - Nick

Edited by nikking1967

dave1978

that is stunning

nuttcrac69

Very thorough review! Nice watch!

shokka9

Nice review!

I've always liked the Aqua Terra, even considered buying the gen quartz version (or a Grand Seiko).

Lovely watch btw too.

nikcorda

thank you for the thorough review and pictures!

i cannot get this watch out of my head lately, its an absolute must have on my list. i was nervous about the quality of this version from the BP factory with the eta clone, as ive heard theyre not as high quality as the KW factory model with the miyota. i cant live with a low beat non hacking movement though, i have to have to eta/BP version, and your post has given me the final boost to go for this model.

thanks again, wear it in good health!

BentleySharp

Nice buy :)

And a good little review as well.

Enjoy and wear it well!

nikking1967

thank you for the thorough review and pictures!

i cannot get this watch out of my head lately, its an absolute must have on my list. i was nervous about the quality of this version from the BP factory with the eta clone, as ive heard theyre not as high quality as the KW factory model with the miyota. i cant live with a low beat non hacking movement though, i have to have to eta/BP version, and your post has given me the final boost to go for this model.

thanks again, wear it in good health!

I Definitely would not bother with the low beat Myota - In a watch like this,you have to have a smoothly sweeping second hand and that means 28000BPH - otherwise why bother having a watch that looks great in every way, with a crappy engine ! ....I've had the ETA 2836 out the case, and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the quality.

Tichymeloun

I love it too. Here is mine:

image.jpg1_zpsgrya7qlx.jpg

JBJtw

Great review! The D would really wind me up though but i love the watch!

I may have to consider it do you have a direct link?

JBJtw

Great review! The D would really wind me up though but i love the watch!

I may have to consider it do you have a direct link?

Here you go....this is on Trusty Time site and its the one I bought with the 'Swiss' 2836-2 movement.........

http://www.ttw8888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=11276

Cheers! Pic doesn't have the mistake on swiss made, think it'll just be an individual error?

Nidus72

I bought the same watch with leather deployment strap in Feb from Josh. I agree it's awesome looking, love the blue hands that really shine when the light hits them right. However, at 41.5 I found it too small on my wrist. I traded on M2M for a Breitling Super Avenger and really happy with the bigger size on my wrist.

OLDBLOKE74

O P

Only 9 posts and a properly thoughtful contribution

Thank You

nikking1967

Thanks for this comment....I really appreciate it!

CIRANO

Fantastic review¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

One for me¡¡¡¡¡ ;-)

But I´ve read that this watches from BP Factory, have an used ETA movements ¿have any trouble with this?

Sorry for my language, my english is poor

Amrjon

Thanks for the review and great pics.

I've got one of these coming too, so I'll be eager to compare it to your review here.

sicob

great watch and review, another one on the wishlist

tonyh7

For me that's how an Omega oughter look - really nice watch.

dfq23

Gen isn't 28,800 (8 beats per second) it is actually 7 beats per second so the miyota being 6 beats is just as "wrong" as this one

charlesanderika

Good review mate and some very nice and crisp photos, well done.

Asaf

Amazing!

charlOOsi

Gorgeous watch. Lemme just tell you, this review + pics is the main reason I just ordered on. Thanks for the review. I'll post pics of my own when I get mine later on.

lkl

Great review! Thinking of buying one myself, although with the blue dial.

Woody2015

I don't dig Omegas too much but that is nice and some cracking pictures!