Sign in to follow this  
fancyaquickie

What to do with my Gen Cartier.

fancyaquickie

Hi all. Hope you're well.

My dilemma goes like this.

I purchased my Cartier from Bahrain duty free back when I was working over there in 2004. Cost me 1600BD at the time which is approx 2500GBP. Bargain!

Always intended to keep it for my lad and hand it over to him on his 21st but the boy is turning 18 soon and just isn't interested in timepieces and I don't think it will change over the next few years.

I have probably worn it 20 times and it doesn't come out of the box often but for weddings, christenings and funerals.

Do I,

A. Continue as planned and give it him when he's 21?

B. Sod him. Sell it now as it's worth a few quid with it being a discontinued model and get myself a motorcycle (WOS offered £2k, Fellows est £3.5k at auction. Watchfinder £5k (do they know something the others don't?)).

C. I'm open to suggestions.

D. Question my ex as to whether he is actually mine due to his lack of interest in watches.

It's wasted on me but I fear it will be an even greater waste and an unappreciated gesture if I save it for him.

Item in question.

IMG_1159_zpsbbvxso4q.jpg?t=1428499796

Cheers in advance.

MetalMickey

Pass it on, it's a lovely heirloom

greg_r

B. & D.

Lovely watch btw :D

LightGeek

Keep it. A gen is a gen.

cufflink

B

novnovi

Keep it. A gen is a gen.

+ 1 if you don't need cash.

or sell it but for another gen !

:) is a more valuable investment than a motorcycle

LightGeek

B

I'm more of a D person.

BentleySharp

Ohhh What a lovely watch!

Cartier does something funny to my insides and makes them all mushy and warm like tapioca pudding...

The Cartier Santos is one of my 3 favorite watches of all time, and the Cartier Tank is a timelessly elegant design that looks just as good on a man's wrist as a woman's. The special allure of Cartier is that their watches look just as relevant and fresh now as they did just after the turn of the century 100 years ago.

My suggestion:

Either wait till he's 21 and make the desicion then (who knows, maybe he'll have a change of priorities and start to appreciate finer things?)

Or if you're worried about finding someone who'll appreciate it, you could always just mail it to my house :D

Mike 1108

At 18 my kid had no interest in watches... Now at 29, I have to keep him locked out of my watch box.

If it's appreciating, keep it and see what develops over the next 5 years. At 21 all I thought about was money, women, alcohol and cars... My how things changed as I've matured, I've added watches to the list..

peteins

you could adopt someone off the forum and give it to them? my 21'st is in a few months.... soooooo

:rofl:

Irishcain

Keep it, enjoy it, and when he turns 21, give it to him. He may never appreciate it, but you've kept your promise to pass it down.

wimpie007

Option E: Give it to me ;-)

Otherwise option B, motorcycle is also nice

simey83

As already said by Bentley, I could always take it off your hands :)

But seriously, I would wait until he is 21 and make the decision then. If he does not want it then either keep it or sell it and buy another gen that you might enjoy more.

I'm not a fan of motorcycles but if you are then that's where the money will more than likely go! :)

hkbob

Wait till he turns 21, then decide

no rush to sell unless you need the money, since it's likely to appreciate more

rusty peters

Totally agree with those that say you should wait. My tastes changed drastically from 18 to 21 and then from 21 until now. I was given a Cartier tank watch when I was 21 and I ended up selling it a few years ago because it was the size of a postage stamp and I knew I would never ever wear it. Sit tight, it isn't going to depreciate.

no0rmal

Keep it. He probably will develop a thing for watches sometime in his life, and when that happens, give it to him.

I only started looking into watches when i was 28.

Kwt

Hmm if watchfinders are giving you 5k for it - surely that is pretty damn decent? Then you can get another nice gen for that. Then in 3 years time think about offering it to your kid then?

luv2flyjrn

Keep it. Think of the things that interested you as a teen and think of the things you wish you had from your father now. Years even decades later that may be the most valuable thing to him. If it isn't he can decide to sell.

Kcore

It's a beautiful watch! As others have said, wait till he's 21 and decide then. After all, a lot can happen in 3 years.

I do have a question. While option D is very funny, what makes you think because your son doesn't have an interest in watches he might not be yours? You yourself said, you bought the watch 10 years ago and hardly have worn it except for a occasion. Considering it's such a beautiful watch, it seems based on this, he's yours! :)

dasselin

What is magical about 21? It's not as if the watch has an expiration date on it. Give it to him when you feel he

Has reached the level of maturity/appreciation to deserve the watch. That could be 22, 23, ….30, and maybe never.

You can always sell it later on.

BTW. I have a similar problem

hendrik

Give it to some one in need :help3:

Hendrik

RUSH2112

Sell it buy him an iwatch

Wasserman

What is magical about 21? It's not as if the watch has an expiration date on it. Give it to him when you feel he

Has reached the level of maturity/appreciation to deserve the watch. That could be 22, 23, ….30, and maybe never.

Very well thought out. Beautiful watch, I would keep it and decide later it's sure to continue to rise in value.

trailboss99

Very well thought out. Beautiful watch, I would keep it and decide later it's sure to continue to rise in value.

+2, keep it and wait.

myaz

Has reached the level of maturity/appreciation to deserve the watch.

+1^

You can't force him to like a specific watch even if that one cost enough to be "special".

However, if the watch has a special memory for you and you want him to have it, let him see you wear it, often, then take a good picture of the both of you with that watch, frame it and display it, and someday, he'll appreciate the watch as a memento of his dad.