Sign in to follow this  
fancyaquickie

What to do with my Gen Cartier.

tlick

i agree, at 18 i wasn't really into watches because i didn't appreciate the amazingness of them. give him some time I'm sure he will come around, plus the meaning comes from the fact that is was YOURS! he will want it purely because it will always connect you two even when you are gone (thats how i look at it with my kids)

fancyaquickie

Thanks for the responses chaps. An assortment of views with some things being taken into consideration that I had not thought about.

I do ok for money nowadays which certainly wasn't the case back when I got it so having to sell isn't really an issue.

The watch does represent probably the first time in my life where I thought 'fuck it, I cant afford but I work hard and I'm having it' and know I'm thinking about it has been on my wrist during some epic occasions creating great memories.

Sorry peteins, wimpie007 & hendrik but it's staying in the family.

Handing it over at 21 is now changing however. It will be an occasion not dissimilar to a wedding or birth of a grandchild (not too frickin soon though). I might even say that it's his but I will take care of it if he wishes. You get where I'm going.

Anyway, thanks again and here's a crappy iphone shot of the gang I have collected over the last year since becoming a member here.

Cheers.

Watches_zpslaj4rz5y.jpg?1428647205944&1428647206663

nunu78

Nice collection and I'm happy that you decide to keep that beauty.

Daywatch

The watch itself is a beauty - but he´ll most probably really appreciate it when he's 31 - some more years to go.

porschespeedster

Sell it, but the bike, and buy your son a rep.

Get him something nice when he's ready for it.

avc0002

I'll trade you my motorcycle for the watch. I havent ridden it lately. haha

also I'm sort of young compaired to most on the forum (24 about to be 25)

and I got into watches right before my 19th birthday. and I still have the piece of shit watch that I got for my birthday that year.

Either give it to him. or invest it for him. or take him to the strip club and have a fun night. hah

fancyaquickie

It transpires that his mother is getting him a watch that he can keep for his 18th next month and has given him the choice of a few including but not limited to Michael Korrs and Armani Exchange. Hey, she's my ex and I'm not pissing on her parade.

Come to think of it I do believe she bought me a watch for my 18th too. A Camo Timberland. Pic will be uploaded if I can find it just for the craic.

dasselin

Now! What the hell am I going to do with my watch. I inherited it from my father. I never ever wear it, too afraid to loose it

It sits in safety deposit box in a bank.

deju

Keep it, anything of your fathers will be coveted. As you get older no matter the value of an item it can be of great personal value if it comes from a parent or grand parent.

Also nice collection :)

BentleySharp

I think the solution you came up with, FancyAQuickie, is honestly the best one I've heard so far; Waiting not till his 21st birthday (as if that's some kind of magical age where suddenly at midnight he'll become responsible and completely mature and aquire a profitable career as an executive officer in some technology firm) but instead, to wait for some type of milestone moment in his life, such as, the birth of his first child, on his wedding day, his coming out party, whatever :P

Hornet

What is magical about 21? It's not as if the watch has an expiration date on it. Give it to him when you feel he

Has reached the level of maturity/appreciation to deserve the watch. That could be 22, 23, ….30, and maybe never.

You can always sell it later on.

BTW. I have a similar problem

Very well thought out. Beautiful watch, I would keep it and decide later it's sure to continue to rise in value.

+2, keep it and wait.

+3....

Chrisby
Hi all. Hope you're well.

My dilemma goes like this.

I purchased my Cartier from Bahrain duty free back when I was working over there in 2004. Cost me 1600BD at the time which is approx 2500GBP. Bargain!

Always intended to keep it for my lad and hand it over to him on his 21st but the boy is turning 18 soon and just isn't interested in timepieces and I don't think it will change over the next few years.

I have probably worn it 20 times and it doesn't come out of the box often but for weddings, christenings and funerals.

Do I,

A. Continue as planned and give it him when he's 21?

B. Sod him. Sell it now as it's worth a few quid with it being a discontinued model and get myself a motorcycle (WOS offered £2k, Fellows est £3.5k at auction. Watchfinder £5k (do they know something the others don't?)).

C. I'm open to suggestions.

D. Question my ex as to whether he is actually mine due to his lack of interest in watches.

It's wasted on me but I fear it will be an even greater waste and an unappreciated gesture if I save it for him.

Item in question.

IMG_1159_zpsbbvxso4q.jpg?t=1428499796

Cheers in advance.

Sod him and give it me for my 21st.... Although you missed it by 16 years.....

marry smith

Hello fancyaquickie, its really a great and beautiful watch. I think you have a good experience with Cartier Watches. May i ask you something regarding goats? Not sure if the right board but....I'm looking at buying a new goat as a gift for my wife. But travelling to Bond Street for the whole 'experience' (if spending a huge amount) is a bit inconvenient.Looking on the internet I have found a website that sells premium watches for a slight discount. They do have a store which I could visit (60 miles away). The reason they sell cheaper is because they are not an authorised dealer.Their price is around £1600.The Goat store and other shops such as Vend-a-goat sell for around £1800.Is it worth me buying from a non-authorised store ? Any thoughts?

Oh by the way, I am a sneaky spammer who thought they wouldn't get caught. I was, as you can see, wrong. I also wank off stick insects as a hobby.

Now it's time to meet my furry friend.

hamsterdance.gif

Venomous

Any thoughts?

Nice link drop, spammer.

I'm sure the hamster will attend to you soon.

V

narikaa

Throw the Cartier on the watch pile where it belongs

Worry about sonny boy's inheritance nearer the time

Spend much more on the mo'cycle

;)