Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

Apple Watch

Kleen™

@ Greg: Ever since I saw the robustness of Unix running on an SGI in action (can't remember whether it was an Indy or Indigo..) back in the nineties I was sold on Unix; so when Apple finally decided to make the transition with their world-leading GUI on top, I was, quite literally, exstatic.

Kleen™

..oh and; anyone remember the Next-derivatived 'Mac Cube'?

greg_r

@ Greg: Ever since I saw the robustness of Unix running on an SGI in action (can't remember whether it was an Indy or Indigo..) back in the nineties I was sold on Unix; so when Apple finally decided to make the transition with their world-leading GUI on top, I was, quite literally, exstatic.

Yep. I go back a long way with the Mac (late eighties with a Mac Plus + Pagemaker), but transitioned to other things once *nix quit being for servers only. I had an SGI o2 for a while, but have also worked with Sun hardware, NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP and a variety of others.

greg_r

I owned one. Briefly (bought secondhand with some issues, refurbished, used for a couple of months and then sold at a profit). A triumph of style over functionality. :P

Kleen™

Yep. I go back a long way with the Mac (late eighties with a Mac Plus + Pagemaker), but transitioned to other things once *nix quit being for servers only. I had an SGI o2 for a while, but have also worked with Sun hardware, NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP and a variety of others.

That's right: I remember now...SGI came out with the Origin and O2s in the latter half of the nineties as their 'affordable' offerings...lol...still bloody expensive, tho'...

Kleen™

I owned one. Briefly (bought secondhand with some issues, refurbished, used for a couple of months and then sold at a profit). A triumph of style over functionality. :P

Spot on. But I remember this was the first time I caught myself thinking "Wow, could a computer really look like this"... and proceeded to buy one and (very) proudly display it on my countertop. Still think the design was ground-breaking to this day (even despite having several biscuit-sized Minis with I5s and I7s running...)

My first mac was the Apple SE/30 btw...;)

greg_r

That's right: I remember now...SGI came out with the Origin and O2s in the latter half of the nineties as their 'affordable' offerings...lol...still bloody expensive, tho'...

So were Sun Sparcstations :lol:

I had an SE/30 too - upgraded to that from the Plus (still mainly for Pagemaker).

Irishcain

HOLY F*CKSTOCKINGS! Unless they come with a micro SD expansion slot, there's no way I'd consider one at those prices

+1 i bet they will release a new version next year with a "apple expansion slot" or something along them lines, noticed they never went to micro sd or a standard expansion on anything they have.

other then display port on there computers which they probably had a bitch a moan about

Why would you want an expansion slot? You don't store anything on the watch.

Nikohublot

Have no Sense for me buying a watch like this , doesnt matter which Brand... For me this has nothing to do anymore with a watch, i mein you Must charge the battery One a Day wth? ..

Sorry if i offend someone here but when i See some People on the streets with a smartwatch taking photos or make phone calls it just Looks idiotic in my opinion.

Technology is Not always a good thing.

Kleen™

I had an SE/30 too - upgraded to that from the Plus (still mainly for Pagemaker).

Pagemaker....lol....what a revolution that was, when everybody else in the office was using WordPerfect. Epic times.

greg_r

Pagemaker....lol....what a revolution that was, when everybody else in the office was using WordPerfect. Epic times.

I bought my Mac Plus with Pagemaker 1.0, a laserwriter (which was also a bit of a revolution in those days) and an external SCSI 10mb (!) hard drive. Cost me £4,000. :throwingmoney:

... all because the design agency who were supposed to be producing advertising, logos and stationery for my company were so crap I figured I could do better myself... Them were the days! :lol:

Chrisby

VCMMxHG.jpg

Apple watch... Update

JSJ

Just bought a Surface Pro 3. It's the dog's doodahs. Fast, light, runs real software.

My 3 laptops over the last 9 years were Dells. All still working fine with various family members.

What's the big deal that a Mac works for years?

iPhone was the best thing ever when it came out but after the 3GS I changed to Android and I'm not going back. My Nexus 4 is 2+ years old, still working fine.

Where's the innovation from Apple? It's definitely not the toy watch. I even WANT a new phone. If Apple brought out another killer phone like the 3GS was at the time I'd probably change back to an Apple phone. No sign of that though.

Sorry I know this is a watch thread. You probably worked out I won't be buying the rather silly Apple watch.

Harkin Banks

I'm buying one, what the hell.

I ride the AAPL call option train quite often.

LRL

No thank you, I'm happy with my rollies

deju

Reps will be flying out the door Android watch coming inline to work with iOS.

If it was a bracelet I might have got one but I don't see the point in another bit of tech that's just another thing needing charged. Just to tell me I have a message or a call waiting on my phone...

rojo5962

Agreed with Sol & Kleen.

Big fan of Macs generally. Total cost of ownership is lower than most people give 'em credit for and any sort of Unix has to be better than the alternative (speaking as someone who makes a good part of his living supporting a Windows network). I like much of Apple's other kit too.

Have precisely ZERO interest in the Apple Watch. Won't be buying one, won't be trying one, wouldn't wear it if you gave it to me for free. Hell, wouldn't wear it if you paid me. Can see no point in it whatsoever.

+1

I run a 6 year old Macbook Pro for personal use. I have performed only a RAM update to it, and it has never had an issue.

For work, I was provided a Lenovo laptop with a similar set of specs to my old mac, but a brick by comparison. I will say it has better battery life, and is slightly faster when performing laborious tasks, but otherwise it has shown my continual lack of appreciation for windows based systems (Windows 8 deserves a special place in PC hell). In the year and a half I have worked on it, it has crashed multiple times, multiple software issues and incompatibilities, the system had to be re-installed twice, and data lost.

As much as I love apple products and may be considered a fan boy, I cannot bring myself to purchase such an item. It just does not make sense to me...

nev848
Don't get it.... Really don't. Just pull your phone out of your pocket and buy yourself a nice Gen.

It will date and you need the eyes of a shit house rat to see the screen.

"Shit house rat"

Now that's why we love you nev, right there :lmao:

Love you to brother :)

But not in a gay way.

Bash64

I vote NO to apple watches. Not gonna do it.Talk%20to%20the%20Hand.gif

megatronz0r

This is the Apple Watch you really want:

so dope... that is the apple watch i want.

and that music to play out loud during my life.

RUSH2112

I like apple products for many of the reasons already listed but won't be getting one of these watches. They are too small to be useful imo and will keep me from wearing a real watch.

iperleyr

Had the Apple Watch simply been marketed as a "fitness accessory" then it wouldn't be such a big deal. But because it is being marketed as a luxury time piece (yes, this is what is being told to employees, that they should be proud to now work in a high-end jewelry store) it becomes problematic. The sport version is almost justifiable if you HAD to buy one. But anything above that is just a bit outrageous. The stainless steel link bracelet (not the watch, just. the. bracelet) is $599 (Canadian). That's more that a TC sub! Or even some nice gens. Furthermore, I believe that many of us own a plethora of watches because we love to change them every day - perhaps even twice the same day! But the Apple Watch is supposed to be worn every day to monitor your steps, heart rate, etc. And then there's the Edition (gold). And this really doesn't make any sense. To invest in something that it known to become obsolete in 3 years (and that's being generous) as a result of software/hardware requirements for new apps and so on. I suppose you could always pulled out the computer parts and melt it down. Anyway...

Okay. Rant over.

dingle

....Bought the missus the 38mm in Stainess Steel las month. She loves it.

It is more practical for her as she is a physical therapist and now she no longer has to stop in the middle of a working on a patient, or for that matter, miss an important message. A simple glance at her watch and she now knows which ones she needs to answer without having to stop and pull out her phone.

The 'activities' function is well done and shes uses that every day as well.....

haters gonna hate :B):

LightGeek

I hear you. She has the Pebble Time and loves that she's no longer tethered to her Phone... Physically.

Sam007

i dont like the apple watch too, but only cause the high price xd I hope that in a few years the price will be come down then i will buy also one hehe