Sign in to follow this  
Robin195959

Which rep is most likely to be called out?

Robin195959

I guess call outs are rare in reality.

More likely a comment passed between friends:

" see that guy on the next table?"

Yes indeed Ben, not a literal your a fake more of "he's wearing a fake"

Daywatch

It has to be a sub -$100 cheapie to be called out at the next table by it´s shabby overall look.

The waiter sees way more and still will not ne able to tell most reps except when it has a large ticking seconds hand and the gen was only made as an auto.

Rolex ppl will just state it´s fake, disregarding if it is or not without any knowledge of the where and what or why.

deju

Who gives a shit? ...just saying

Robin195959

Clearly no one cares. The TD's sell V1,2,3,4...........of the same watch to guys who lost the previous version.

deju

Clearly no one cares. The TD's sell V1,2,3,4...........of the same watch to guys who lost the previous version.

They certainly don't care. They sell v1,2,3,4,5 etc of watches as factories fix flaws that can be/can be bothered to be fixed...sources for watch parts change, so details on the watch change, etc

They (the factories) are not interested in helping you not get called out... I can bet you any money that for every super duper 99.999%:1 watch they sell... They sell a 100 if not a thousand cheapie lucky lucky men watches.

We shouldn't care but if you think about it then my answer to your question would be:

A Rolex will always get called out rep or gen because it's the most well known watch brand.... It has nothing to do with build quality or versions, flaws or tells.

I think if you took two Gen Rolexes and asked 10 people in the street which is fake; none would exclaim that it's a trick and both are real. Each would fabricate reasoning to why one is fake. Be it weight, build quality, font, movements of hands.

Nikohublot

Rolex definitely . But i think the Most "normal" people just think its a Fake Not because they have a clue but because 99% of the People Are jealous . They cant Tell You the Flaws of a V5 on your wrist (unless its the Mickey mouse Version) , they just think : ok i cant afford it , so its a Fake . Same with LV...

webking185

Dont personally care if people wear gens or reps. Like people said, who are we to judge on that. I enjoy my gens as they were bought for a collection of fine jewelry like a diamond ring. I once had a guy told me I had a nice watch on and wanted to see it, he took off his IWC too so I could look at it too cause he was a collector. I told him, I have gens and reps. I love the rep community and would never be ashamed to say its a rep.

sacsha1

I was conducting a training seminar and one of the attendee kept eyeing my gen blnr. I wonder if he thought I was wearing a rep. Given it was in fact gen, I could care less. If I was wearing a rep, I think i would be more self conscious unless it was an Uber franken

tframo
Agree. Rolex is the #1 choice, only a trained eye can spot out the ineffiencies. I would also call out any watch that is 42mm or larger. As it will be apparent that a watch at that size would be a rep. Ex. Panaerai, Bell & Ross, Hublot. The large face watches can never match a gen quality. I wear my reps 80% of the time, when I'm in mtgs or out with clients, my gens are on for sure.

????

Realism

I'm calling out that it will be 3 more months until the next call out thread

Daywatch

This CqsMqGraph from Wiki is likely to get called out:

800px-Frolex.jpg

UmpaHimself

Someone asked me if my Tag Carrera was real back when I had it a few years ago and it was one of the best out of the box reps I've ever seen.

Mike on a bike

Well sort of on the subject, to answer Rolex of course now to the story. At a clients house he asks date to sign paper work, I tell him and say "well figures your wearing a no date " (114060) he looks at his watch as I am. So I take mine off say check this out a gen Citizen TI light as a feather love it on, he holds "wow light" then proceeds to take his off to let me have a look. Well I am a Rolex guy and considering where I was on Park Ave NYC figured gen and it looked and felt it but even a seasoned guy like myself could not be 100 % sure.So yes Rolex as even a rep guy like myself (and we know more than the guys on gen forums for the most part) consider them suspect.

Irishcain

Rolex, without a doubt.

Stewart

Now that I am more knowledgeable about watches in general, anytime I see a watch I try and determine the make and whether it is a rep.

I actually find myself sometimes hoping that it is a rep so I can finally have someone to talk to that shares my interest in rep watches other than the fine people on RWG. :giggle:

I have never been able to spot a rep. In fact it is very difficult to even tell, for certain, the make of a watch (for me) when being worn on someone else. I doubt anyone else would know unless you told them.

Kcore
Why would you want to call anyone out? I certainly wouldn't dream of it....

Live and let live I say ;)

But you do make exceptions for the occasional tinkerer ;)

trailboss99

Hardly any at all because almost no one will even notice your watch and if they do:

TheRealWorld.jpg

B&E939

Exactly.

Rolex, definitely. People call gen Rolex's fake, because they're so damn common.

Two realities I see are that firstly, the rep's these days are so damned good, most need a damn loupe to see the small differences.

And secondly.

I see all the time people posting pictures of their reps in like... Mercedes and Porsches and Audis, etc. These people (more than half here) actually have the money to buy a gen, but won't simply because of my first point. Waste of money. It's not like the old days of being poor and wanting to appear rich, like most people would associate with reps. More about getting what style you want, and being smart and business/money savvy about it.

Rep, gen, whatever. A nice watch is just a nice watch. Plain and simple. It does not suggest wealth, prosperity, ego like it used to 90% of the time.

dhistory

Definitely Rollies, however, I kinda like seeing reps or gens out there as they make good conversation starters. What's interesting is that when I see a nice what, I have never thought...."it's a fake," my thinking is..."cool, we have a similar taste in watches!"

Which are reps and which are gens? I can't even tell anymore other than what I spend in them.

c2f4f60a119c0f9209e9d087e5d95b83.jpg

0924c02f7a0fd60a1897a82cd93aa011.jpg

43e7105ab565e6561ba08d9eb6f0f94c.jpg

32e8131ade3a5d4526906e2603e42f0c.jpg

Vbmrk

The concept of calling someone out is ridiculous. I would never do it and can't imagine anyone I know would to me.

However a long time ago a buddy of mine was "gifted" a Rolex which he was so proud of and showed it to me. I knew nothing about watches back then and I took one look at it and called it out! Why? It had a ticking second hand!

He felt so sheepish and immediately took it off his wrist. To this day I feel terrible when I think about that given how close a friend he is of mine. I still think I did him a favor by telling him it was a fake just coz I think he'd rather have me tell him then someone like his boss at work or something. But still......

Vbmrk
Agree. Rolex is the #1 choice, only a trained eye can spot out the ineffiencies. I would also call out any watch that is 42mm or larger. As it will be apparent that a watch at that size would be a rep. Ex. Panaerai, Bell & Ross, Hublot. The large face watches can never match a gen quality. I wear my reps 80% of the time, when I'm in mtgs or out with clients, my gens are on for sure.

????

??? For me too. I have a gen 47mm Pam I wear often. I don't get this thought process.

fatarms

I've never, and I mean NEVER even come close to getting a good enough or long enough look at someone's watch to even begin to assess whether it was real or not. Even when I was sitting next to them at a table. These threads make me laugh.

RUSH2112

????

??? For me too. I have a gen 47mm Pam I wear often. I don't get this thought process.

I'm just imagining him calling out all those giant invictas as reps.

elp

DS challenge. Not only it's a Rolex, there's only 3 in existence!

DSCF1654_zps8jmxzxyg.jpg

arniesack

Strange question. Your level of anxiety on being 'called out' on a rep depends on your motivation for wearing it. If you are at the AGM of Montres Suisse and you wear a fake you might attract some questions, but who or why would someone question you in general. Oh hold on, here's a scenario

Mugger: Excuse, but I'd like to know if you Rolex is real before I mug you, as this will affect what I get at my fence's shop.

You: Sorry mate this is your unlucky night, this is just my noob factory rep, mug me tomorrow when I'm wearing the real thing.

Mugger: Thank you, that's very decent of you, see you here tomorrow at 7:30

:giggle: BTW I think if you were to be called out it would be a 'gold' Rolex