Sign in to follow this  
boredpanda

[Pictorial Review] Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (noob v2)

boredpanda

Copied over from RWI

First off, some glam shots WinkSmiley.png

27049059952_16c4db230d_b.jpg

27049059262_c9a465a84f_b.jpg

26539866003_253f8a59d7_b.jpg

26539866003_253f8a59d7_b.jpg

Some lume comparison with PAM111 v427144404645_f2c0647229_b.jpg

Here's how a Fifty Five Fathoms would look like, I've sold this about a year ago already as it it didn't feel right to me27075517631_36fa7ba59a_b.jpg

Now onto the short review, I'll say I'm quite anal about finishing in general. I think that affirms my love for Grand Seiko as my grail watch eventually.

Good:

• The crystal is beautiful, you have to love the domed crystal and bezel!
  • Hands and markers are generally well finished (can't get too anal about rep finishing, though I have bad experience with BP factory finishes on patek but that's for another thread)
  • The lume, it glows bright

Neutral:

• Rep strap isn't that bad really, very wearable (I have 6.5" wrist for comparison, on the 3rd last hole). I'm in no rush to swap this out
  • Of course the bezel will rock a little (but it's just a tiiinnnyy bit, my Seiko Monster has better bezel action but most of us don't use the bezel anyway so it doesn't matter)

Bad:

• To a certain extent.. price? But one could probably see why, it's not as simple a watch like PAMs

Ugly:

• Not applicable

Anal Retentive Zone:

• The markers will not align (on mine I noticed the 9 seems to be tilted clockwise). Prospective owners of BPFF rep should take note of this.
  • "3" seems to sit lower than "9" on mine OR "9" sits too high compared to "3". IDK, let me know what you think.
  • There's something I cannot put my finger on but something looks asymmetric whenever I look at it. Maybe the 9 is sitting too close to the bezel? It screams at me everytime I look at it.. sigh.gif
  • All the above 3 points are something that "if I could fix it for a reasonable rate, I would get it fixed" and "if it's impossible to fix, I'll still live with it" just because it's a nice watch
  • The numbers 1 and 2 on the "12" will never be perfectly aligned, just find one that is reasonably aligned

I'll end this off with the not so glamorous shots WinkSmiley.png26539865373_a908f00e6c_b.jpg

26539866343_586411805a_b.jpg

26539865233_f1801c78dc_b.jpg

Edited by boredpanda

jeffc83

I am as anal as you in terms of finishing. It appears that the 9 is ever so slightly lower than the 3 and tilted for sure. The AR coating on the domed crystal is blue and should be white/clear if I'm not mistaken. (I'm 99% sure) You mentioned the other issues/flaws, good eye brother! (I tend to stare at them myself, which makes the flaws POP out at you)

boredpanda

I am as anal as you in terms of finishing. It appears that the 9 is ever so slightly lower than the 3 and tilted for sure. The AR coating on the domed crystal is blue and should be white/clear if I'm not mistaken. (I'm 99% sure) You mentioned the other issues/flaws, good eye brother! (I tend to stare at them myself, which makes the flaws POP out at you)

Haha! Glad I'm not alone.

Steer out of these kind of watches if you can't stand 'em ;)

But I'd say the tilted "9" is a little annoying. The rest I can live with. Didn't know about the AR color too mhmm, but doesn't bother me.

willisd

This is a must of mine but that tilted nine is a no go

And it seems strange to buy a diving watch that you cant swim in

BenjaminButton

People buy pilots watches and cannot fly. Military watches but have no intention of going to war. What's yer point!

Olance
People buy pilots watches and cannot fly. Military watches but have no intention of going to war. What's yer point!

Haha that made me laugh!

But otherwise it's a nice watch

raspymcnasty

this watch look so luxurious and toyish at the same time.