Sign in to follow this  
Diver Dave

PAM 520 (Via Mary)

Diver Dave

Being a pilot and all, I wanted to add a chrono to my box. Well, another chrono as I have several Gens, but hate to beat them up in the jet.

Had Mary locate and secure a Pam 520, which arrived today (14 days from first email and 10 from mailing, to CONUS). Looks darned good, and running fine.

Finish is great, decorated Seagull ST19 movement, gorgeous sandwich dial, gold hands, etc.

Only "Tell" that's dead obvious is the "Platinum" on the back (this dial model of the series is made in white gold).

Only "squawk" is the common Seagull ST19 movement quirk of the seconds hand going coubterclockwise about 15 seconds worth (to the 45) if the start pusher is pushed sloowwwlllyyy... Push it like you mean it and it starts from 60. This is common on the ST-19 movement if not perfectly adjusted. I'll play with it later.

The sandwich dial is gorgeous. Just stunning. The lume color is great (daylight color) and is good in the dark too. All in all it's a "buy" recommendation.

Band, like usual, is "Meh"... and also darned small in diameter. I have small wrists and it's almost fully extended to fit me. No biggie, I'll be tossing it anyhow and putting on a replacement.

Note that the pics make the second hand look red. It's not, it's the same (nice) gold as the others. Just a reflection in the photo.

The only thing.... <shit>: I'm a pretty well off guy, own a box of gens that I've collected, been wore the same Rolex 1665 Sea Dweller daily for 38 years, and have a few reps that I wear for the occasion. All of them are watches I can afford, and nobody blinks an eye to see me with a new Rolex, or a Hanhardt, or a vintage Omega, etc. But this? Nobody will ever believe that it's real, and as a corporate pilot I carry people who CAN afford the real thing (and often do wear watches of this calibre). So.... I'm not so sure I'll wear it to work. Truthfully? I'd prefer it if it didn't have Paneral markings on it. If it were sterile I'd wear it right away.

Enjoy the pics.1r8N571.jpg

Diver Dave

xFLg5ys.jpg

O5UQGb9.jpg

Upi14Gz.jpg

bFbIBsZ.jpg

NCRich

That is a nice watch. I have the 518 rep and its by far my fav PAM. Enjoy. Mine says hello.

J664Wg5.jpg?1

dilip

Damn fine movement in these watches, I'm super jelly over here

Diver Dave

That is a nice watch. I have the 518 rep and its by far my fav PAM. Enjoy. Mine says hello.

Thanks Rich. Hi from our family to yours...

Does yours do the "seconds hand moves 15 seconds backwards if the start pusher is pushed slowly" trick?

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

NCRich

Does yours do the "seconds hand moves 15 seconds backwards if the start pusher is pushed slowly" trick?

Dave

No, I've got several of those ST 19 movement watches and none of them do that. Curious. These movements are very reliable, except for the click spring. It is relatively easy to overwind these and the tiny spring will break. I actually got this one from a member who had broken it. I repaired it, fiddly job but the part is pennies.

Diver Dave

Dave

No, I've got several of those ST 19 movement watches and none of them do that. Curious. These movements are very reliable, except for the click spring. It is relatively easy to overwind these and the tiny spring will break. I actually got this one from a member who had broken it. I repaired it, fiddly job but the part is pennies.

Thanks Rich. I did a little Google-Fu and the problem seems previously reported so I'm not the only one. I have the same movement in one of the 38mm Chinese Pilot watches (1963) and it doesn't do it either. I'll play with it when I have time. If you push the pusher at a normal speed it starts up centered on the 12, so it's more of a head-scratcher than a problem.

Love the watch. Getting rid of the strap was a huge improvement.

Dave

Yuri Boyka

That is lovely. Never really been into Pam's until.. well... Now.

Enjoy.

mysterio

Congrats on the pick up. Personally I can't bring myself to purchase one of these until the factories tidy up the movement markings.

NCRich

Congrats on the pick up. Personally I can't bring myself to purchase one of these until the factories tidy up the movement markings.

No idea what you are talking about. But carry on.

rawbaws

Let's be real, these are $50k watches (platinum 518 and white gold 520)

The movement really only bears minor similarities when compared to gen. Markings aren't going to fix that. Just enjoy it!

Panerai-PAM-518-Radiomir-1940-Chronograph-Platino-Caseback-620x592.jpg

purger72

Im not in to Pams but this Radomir chrono looks fantastic, enjoy your new rep.

Diver Dave

The movement really only bears minor similarities when compared to gen. Markings aren't going to fix that. Just enjoy it!

Exactly....

I really wish it was sterile, to tell you the truth. I'd prefer to wear it unbranded, standing on it's own merits (which are profound) rather than as a Rep. It would make a better homage than a Rep, considering that *nobody* with any watch-fu will think it's an original.

Last note, the obligatory 5:30 AM "what time is it and how long before the alarm clock goes off" peek shows the lume perfectly visible at that wee hour.

Me = Happy.

Dave

mysterio

I'm being realistic. I'm not expecting the movement to be replicated anytime soon. But the text is just so cheap looking. If only the factory did it well (and it's not like they aren't capable and have not done it), I'd be a very happy camper. I'm speaking from the point of view of appreciating what is possible now. It probably won't be corrected because the model isn't popular but hoping that the factories learn from the experience and avoid making such mistakes and ruining such an otherwise nice replica.

Diver Dave

I'm being realistic. I'm not expecting the movement to be replicated anytime soon. But the text is just so cheap looking. If only the factory did it well (and it's not like they aren't capable and have not done it), I'd be a very happy camper. I'm speaking from the point of view of appreciating what is possible now. It probably won't be corrected because the model isn't popular but hoping that the factories learn from the experience and avoid making such mistakes and ruining such an otherwise nice replica.

I'm looking at the movement with a loupe right now, and I don't see anything glaringly "bad". The only markings on it are a (well done) "Panerai" in blue and the original Seagull +/- markings, which are OK as well. There's precious little else there to see... Stripes look good, what else would you like?

Again, personally.... I'd prefer this watch to be "sterile" anyhow. If it were branded "Seagull" I'd prefer it actually. I'd prefer to wear a Homage as opposed to a replica of a watch that is simply so expensive that it is a tell in it's own right. I simply can't wear it at work, as I work with people who *can* afford this calibre of watch, and would see it on my wrist and know it's a fake ab-initio. It's a shame, as I would really like it as a daily wear watch. For this reason it'll be a safe-queen, sadly.

Dave

mysterio

I'm looking at the movement with a loupe right now, and I don't see anything glaringly "bad". The only markings on it are a (well done) "Panerai" in blue and the original Seagull +/- markings, which are OK as well. There's precious little else there to see... Stripes look good, what else would you like?

Again, personally.... I'd prefer this watch to be "sterile" anyhow. If it were branded "Seagull" I'd prefer it actually. I'd prefer to wear a Homage as opposed to a replica of a watch that is simply so expensive that it is a tell in it's own right. I simply can't wear it at work, as I work with people who *can* afford this calibre of watch, and would see it on my wrist and know it's a fake ab-initio. It's a shame, as I would really like it as a daily wear watch. For this reason it'll be a safe-queen, sadly.

Dave

I'd rather they did the PANERAI text in the standard OP font. Yes, it's printed well and in a blue color that's used in decorating rep PAM movements, but the font isn't what PAM reps use in any part of the watch so the effort getting the print nicely applied wasted.

Anyway, it's just me.

Yuri Boyka

Dave

The movement is the ST19 as you mentioned before. Even it's own right it is a fantastic movement for the price.

Don't quote me but one of the very few single column hand wind movements sub 1.5/2k?

Anyway that aside. I completely understand your problem with the 520 and your lifestyle. But that aside. Would you reccomend the watch?

I currently have an order waiting to be shipped from Mary and have asked to hold because I saw this 520 on your thread.

What an absolute beauty.

So far aside from the tells. Which believe are the movement. The platinum. And the incorrect size hands on the subdials. The watch itself is very well put together.

The 288 is considered the super rep by many and beautiful it is. But this edges it for me. Never been into PAMS until now.

So any advice or regrets would be greatly appreciated if you would kindly share.

Regards

Diver Dave

Dave

The movement is the ST19 as you mentioned before. Even it's own right it is a fantastic movement for the price.

Don't quote me but one of the very few single column hand wind movements sub 1.5/2k?

Anyway that aside. I completely understand your problem with the 520 and your lifestyle. But that aside. Would you reccomend the watch?

I currently have an order waiting to be shipped from Mary and have asked to hold because I saw this 520 on your thread.

What an absolute beauty.

So far aside from the tells. Which believe are the movement. The platinum. And the incorrect size hands on the subdials. The watch itself is very well put together.

The 288 is considered the super rep by many and beautiful it is. But this edges it for me. Never been into PAMS until now.

So any advice or regrets would be greatly appreciated if you would kindly share.

Regards

I can absolutely recommend this, and that's as an owner and collector of many Gens, including some gen Panerai stuff. I would absolutely suggest adding one if you want a quality chronograph. Really, and I mean this most sincerely: This watch would be worth MORE as a non-Panerai marked micro-brand watch, easily worth 3X what the rep is selling for. I'd gladly pay $1000 for a sterile one. It's that good. The Seagull movement needs no introduction, and the balance of the package is first class. it's a beauty.

In retrospect I should have ordered a 288, as I can pull that off at work, but I just have a thing for sandwich dials. In any event, I just sent Mary a note asking about a 288 to match this one. if the quality is similar I'll be doubly happy, and "might" let this one go to a new home.

Budget for a new strap though. The one supplied doesn't do the watch justice.

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

Cubic Hare

Nice watch there Dave. I have been thinking for a while now what to buy to fill my PAM box.. Maybe one of these..

Cheers

20170515_064545-1.jpg

Diver Dave

Nice watch there Dave. I have been thinking for a while now what to buy to fill my PAM box.. Maybe one of these..

Cheers

I see one open space in that box! You won't be disappointed.

Tell Mary Dave sent ya... ;-)

Dave

mysterio

Cheers

20170515_064545-1.jpg

Nice watchbox. :)

Cubic Hare

Cheers

Nice watchbox. :)

Thank You Sir, I made it myself.

Cubic Hare

520 Ordered, waiting for QC

Enablers, all of you....

Diver Dave

520 Ordered, waiting for QC

Enablers, all of you....

Glad I could help.... :wink:

Dave