Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

BR01-92 limited edition on gen strap

greg_r

I've long been taken with B&R watches. I know they're not to everyone's taste and, from one point of view, they're pretending to a heritage to which they are not actually entitled. I agree with all that, but still like the look of 'em... ;)

The big issue for me is that the gens really aren't particularly great value - like quite a few other brands, they rely entirely on bought-in movements and whilst they look cool, it's hard to see where the money goes. So, whilst I have been tempted to buy a gen BR01 heritage (or possibly BR03 heritage) on several occasions, I've so far managed to talk myself out of it each time.

I've had a BR02 rep for several years and have had a couple of cheapie BR01s, both of which ended up sold. The 02 is a decent rep and is generally pretty satisfactory, but the cheapie BR01s really just didn't do it for me - especially given the lousy stiff rubber straps they came with.

The other big problem for me is that the model that tempts me most in the gen (BR01 heritage) has never been repped well - there's a cheapie out there, but it's seriously flawed and I ended up donating mine to the board. So, recently, in a last attempt to talk myself out of a gen, I decided to buy the best rep BR01 I could find - a lot of gen owners have fitted heritage straps to non-heritage BR watches, so my plan was to do the same and buy a gen strap as well.

There's a version with PVD case and yellow indices (based on a limited edition gen), which I figured would be as close to the heritage colours as I'd get, so I ordered one and awaited its arrival. First impressions were good - the watch is much better finished than any of the cheaper models I've seen and came on a high quality rubber strap (much better than that supplied with the cheapies and extremely close to the gen). Second impressions, unfortunately, were less good as the watch was stopping every few minutes and generally running like crap. Actually the first DOA rep I've had in almost 4 years, which isn't a bad record given the number of watches I buy.

I decided not to go through the whole 'return to China' thing and instead sent it off to UK Watch Services (UKWatchservices - trusted watchsmith next door at RWI and highly recommended btw). A few weeks later and I have a fully serviced BR01 that's running perfectly.

Here's a pic:

br01_92_y_rubber.JPG

My next move was to fit a gen strap - this is actually the strap supplied with the BR03 Heritage as B&R didn't have the BR01 heritage strap available at the time. It was only £80 - I will probavly switch to the other version later, but for now I'm content. Looks awesome, don't it?

br01_y_heritage.JPG

Honestly, if I suddenly came into some extra dough the BR01 Heritage (along with the Breit SOH) is probably still a watch I would buy gen. Having said that, this is still a great watch - along with my Omega PO, Breit SOH, PAM 127 and PAM 177 it makes my list of top 5 favourite reps.

markeym3

I have a soft spot for the B+R but yet to settle on one, I had a cheapie heritage and quite liked it apart as you said from the flaws , but always thought they were a nice "weighty" watch, This is a good combo , liking it very much ..

greg_r

Thanks mate - this is definitely a very different story from the cheapies :)

NCRich

Greg what are the major differences between that one (I know the strap) and this newer cheapie?

SAM_0001_zps094cadf9.jpg

greg_r

meh, I had the cheapie heritage, but after a while I couldn't bring myself to wear it. Leaving the strap aside (which was actually quite wearable), that watch has 21J movement, incorrect case and lug construction, incorrect back with fake hex bolts. Poor quality dial with incorrect model number (labeled as an 01-94, which is actually a chrono).. the list of flaws goes on...

It's like comparing any upmarket rep with a cheapie really - this watch has an A2836. Lugs are the correct shape and use the correct size hex bolts (the gen strap-changing tool fits). General quality, fit and finish are a completely different ball game - this looks & feels like a good quality watch. Honestly, there's no comparison.

NCRich

meh, I had the cheapie heritage, but after a while I couldn't bring myself to wear it. Leaving the strap aside (which was actually quite wearable), that watch has 21J movement, incorrect case and lug construction, incorrect back with fake hex bolts. Poor quality dial with incorrect model number (labeled as an 01-94, which is actually a chrono).. the list of flaws goes on...

It's like comparing any upmarket rep with a cheapie really - this watch has an A2836. Lugs are the correct shape and use the correct size hex bolts (the gen strap-changing tool fits). General quality, fit and finish are a completely different ball game - this looks & feels like a good quality watch. Honestly, there's no comparison.

Thanks. This one does have the correctish dial. BRO1-92 is right? Doesn't really matter, I think I wore it twice. Neat watch but if I wanted the gen I'd be more discerning I'm sure.

greg_r

Thanks. This one does have the correctish dial. BRO1-92 is right? Doesn't really matter, I think I wore it twice. Neat watch but if I wanted the gen I'd be more discerning I'm sure.

Yup - this is a rep of a limited edition BR01-92 (not the heritage - yellow indices instead of the sand/tan colour on the heritage version).

Del

That looks great on the gen strap! :thumbsup2:

PeterPotamus

really nice watch, and looks great on that strap, enjoy it

nunu78

Looks great

solkryssare

Congrats G!

BadPickle

Well nice!! The B&R 01's are an interesting design, I've been somewhat reluctant to take the plunge with one, i'm not sure if i just haven't found the right colour combination or not, blue, yellow orange etc.... the skull design which I've seen other members sporting is just not me though.. Yours looks the business boss, the gen strap sets it off a treat.

10/10 from me!!

greg_r

Thanks guys - I'm pleased with it. I can see another gen strap purchase in my future though - it's no good, I need the full-blown heritage strap ;)

greg_r

Another piccy - just because :D

BR01-92-h-081013.JPG

greg_r

Bought another gen strap for this now that B&R have the proper BR01 heritage strap back in stock.

br01y_heritage_051213.JPG

Very pleased with the combo :D

simey83

Bought another gen strap for this now that B&R have the proper BR01 heritage strap back in stock.

br01y_heritage_051213.JPG

Very pleased with the combo :D

Now that is nice! Do they wear big?

greg_r

Well, 46mm and the square shape means that it wears larger than, say, a Fiddy. It's reasonably slim, though, so it's still a manageable size. Note that they wear a bit smaller on leather than they do on the usual rubber strap...

simey83

Well, 46mm and the square shape means that it wears larger than, say, a Fiddy. It's reasonably slim, though, so it's still a manageable size. Note that they wear a bit smaller on leather than they do on the usual rubber strap...

Ah, ok. Too big for my child's wrists :(

neil

Do they do this version in the blue lume Greg? Love the looks and think the blue lume is really cool...think this combo may make me a B&R owner

deju

Looks terrible .... Sell it to me lol

I wish we could get more high quality bell and Ross reps. I use the br03-92 as my daily, great watches!

16plus4v

I too also with they rep'd the BR's better. Every one I've owned has failed me :(

Del Boy

Funds sent... get it shipped to me asap Greg :-)

paulvillo

Thanks mate - this is definitely a very different story from the cheapies :)

That is absolutely amazing!! I love them B&R even though they're just dressed up ETAs.

But unfortunately it seems TDs are running short on B&R nowadays.

Do you mind sharing from which TD you've sourced this beauty? Thanks

spursian

Nice one Greg. Unfortunately the 01 is too big for my wrist. I'm looking for a 03, and following what you did. Any idea the current 03s in the market are any good? And which TD did you get it from?

D_Chico

I really love that combo on your watch Greg! I would rock that allll day long :) in fact your watch got me looking at buying a B&R! thanks for sharing!