Poolsfinest

Sending Your Watch Back to China for Repair

Poolsfinest

I recently had the misfortune of receiving a watch that didn't perform as it should.

This presents you with two options...

Deal with it yourself locally via a watchmaker who will work with reps. This will cost you a few pennies but you should be left with a serviced and fully functioning watch. This is the advice of many seasoned pros on the board.

Return to China via your TD who will repair the watch and get it back to you in the condition it should've arrived. This will take time, understanding, patience and fewer pennies.

Now I'm an old fashioned type of guy, and whilst I understand the risks associated with this game, I also expect to receive what I hand over my hard earned for. For this reason I went with option B.

Here follows the timeline of what went on and how long you can expect things to take if you go with my choice.

Upon realising the watch was faulty (in my case losing too much time over 24hr period, stopping, juddery seconds movement) I fired off an email to my TD.

He was quick to respond and asked me to return the watch to him. At this point I fired off another couple of messages detailing :- exactly how it was to be returned, how to fill in customs declaration, how to fill in the address, how to package. (Recorded Int, return of mechanical parts for repair, correct format, bubble wrap etc).

This process took around 2 days.

Off to the UK Post Office I went. My Customs Dec raised an eyebrow but no more. Cost was around £7.50 and off my watch went to China.

The journey to China took 8 days according to my tracking, arrived in Shanghai and was passed to Chinese customs.

Tracking now became a question of deciphering statements such as "total container unwrap, break and display judge". Anyhow my package sat in Shanghai for around 7 days.

At this point it moved on to its next port of call, Guangzhou, where it now sat in customs for another 6 days... Patience.

Finally I received my message from Ryan that I had been nervously waiting for. My watch had arrived!

He went to work and the watch went back to the Factory. Ultimately it was decided to send a new watch. This process took another 10 or so days.

Once Ryan knew he was to replace the watch everything happened extremely fast. He is the best dealer I have experienced for communication and speed.

QC's followed and within a couple of days of the watch being in his hands a new one was on its way back to me.

This happened to coincide with the run up to CNY, and the messages of doom on here filled me with little hope of receiving it anytime soon.

The watch posted from China on 11/2 and arrived in my hands 19/2.

So in summary...

5/1 - watch posted to China.

(2 weeks in transit/Chinese Customs)

27/1 - watch arrived at TD.

(Watch with dealer/factory)

11/2 - watch returned from China.

19/2 - watch arrived in UK.

Whole process took 42 days start to finish.

For tracking I found that track17.net is a useful resource.

Cheers!

• Like 1

black263

Now that's how a faulty watch should be dealt with. No whinging on the forum. No "I've been scammed". Followed the rules, cost only the shipping, and a satisfied customer posting an objective report on the dealings he had. Only one problem - Where are the pictures!!!

MikeAlmighty

I sent a watch back and it beat the CNY. However when they attempted delivery the dealer office was closed.

I sure hope it gets redelivered after CNY :facepalm:

Poolsfinest

A thread will follow with some decent pictures soon. I posted a quick pic yesterday...

a98be9ae2e51af79052eaa338497b072.jpg

Mike. Keep the faith.

RUSH2112

Faster than I expected and pretty inexpensive.

Irishcain

It's always nice to hear a success story.

ag69

Nice write up on the process!!!

Oh yeah, great looking watch!!

Poolsfinest

Thanks for the comments. Important to try to give something back to the board.

Think quite a few people meet this problem and aren't too sure of the process and hence get frustrated at the time spent not having a clue where your precious is.

Hope this will help a few people to feel a little easier or make the choice that helps them.

S2K Tuning

Very useful. I hope I never have to return a watch but this has potentially swayed me towards this solution.

LightGeek

Now that's how a faulty watch should be dealt with. No whinging on the forum. No "I've been scammed". Followed the rules, cost only the shipping, and a satisfied customer posting an objective report on the dealings he had. Only one problem - Where are the pictures!!!

This is how it is when your repair was actually performed :) OP is lucky it came back repaired and in the same shape.

Poolsfinest

This is how it is when your repair was actually performed :) OP is lucky it came back repaired and in the same shape.

If it wasn't then surely I could get a mod involved?

Also, that TD would no longer get my custom...

porkman65

I totally agree with your decision to send it back....if it wasn't working then you needed it replacing with one that does and especially as it was an expensive piece, and a very nice one indeed.

I have had to do the same on three occasions now and on each occasion I could not believe how bloody long it took. I think that the 42 day turn around is amazing and credit to the TD for rectifying the issue within a reasonable time frame.

I have taken note of your tracking recommendation as I have never been able to track things in China.....very useful so thank you for that tip.

Matt.

Kyrasym

Yea you're lucky...my last watch sent for repair never reached the TD. According to the tracking it is still in transit since 12 December 2014. I'm afraid it is gone. :(

fattyboy

I have sent 4 watches back so far. Maybe it's just my luck that my watches keep dying. 3 came back perfectly safe and sound. My last one is still in transit. Couldn't beat the CNY period. I guess it shouldn't be much of a hassle. Just gotta wait it out. One of my watches took 5 months before it came back to me.

Mystery Shopper

If it wasn't then surely I could get a mod involved?

Also, that TD would no longer get my custom...

Yes- if you had contacted the TD again but could find no resolution, this would be the time to get one of us involved. This hobby always takes a bit of patience.

Nice post OP- you worked well with the TD and got the required result (after a little extra time and a little extra coin).

FWIW- I have only had one watch arrive faulty and my experience was very similar to yours.

Daywatch

Now this goes to show that Ryan is a great TD as well - because of the exchange, new qc pictures etc. A real part of the "risk" is the watch being repaired but not 100% or coming back with the issue fixed but a missing screw etc. A replacement is really fine.

Until now I was lucky in having to send back one only (decided on sending it back as it was new). From EU cost was EUR 6,50 tracked/signed for (very cheap, mostly it costs more just shipping within the EU, but in this case I sent the watch head only) and took exactly the same days/stages to get there. Total turnaround (with transhipping) was more like 60 days but it was just repaired, not replaced. Some minor issues like gaining 1 minute, louder rotor and a sub-average power reserve since, things You can live with and not enough to complain and go through the hassle again, but it was let´s say 90% good and almost for free.

Poolsfinest

Agree with that. I wouldn't take the risk for a niggle. I have another ROO which is a beaut, starts up immediately but has a poor power reserve. That I can live with, or one day will likely service locally.

A watch that flat out doesn't work however, I would send again.

Ryan was extremely professional through the whole process, and also covers customs issues. Def my go to guy.

greg_r

This is a great thread. Here, have a sticky! :D

sticky.jpg

Poolsfinest

No nuts on my bun thanks :)

popoguy

I had experienced send back to Guangzhou for 1 month using Hong Kong post.

According to supplier, it will take a 30% risk choosing 7750 movement of chronograph stop watch.

Good luck

MetalMickey

See, it is possible to follow the rules, post a useful informative thread instead of whining and get a result. Op you are a credit to the hobby!

Laguna2008

Thanks for the write up!

Poolsfinest

Not everyone is as lucky as I was...

I do feel, however, that there are probably numerous positive returns for every bad one. It's just that the bad ones are invariably written up.

IMO find a TD that communicates quickly and accurately. Communicate with them often, but not too much (No more than every few days). Always be polite and write in simple clear terms.

This is not necessarily the biggest or best known TD (quite the opposite upon reading feedback). When you find one you trust then stick with them and trust them to do what you ask them to do.

If communication flows and you know what is going on the whole process is much more comfortable.

webbo2005

Upon realising the watch was faulty (in my case losing too much time over 24hr period, stopping, juddery seconds movement) I fired off an email to my TD.

He was quick to respond and asked me to return the watch to him. At this point I fired off another couple of messages detailing :- exactly how it was to be returned, how to fill in customs declaration, how to fill in the address, how to package. (Recorded Int, return of mechanical parts for repair, correct format, bubble wrap etc).

This process took around 2 days.

Great post, very much appreciated to hear your experience.

It would be really useful if you could share with us how to fill in customers declaration, how to fill in address, how to package.

You also mentioned it cost £7.50 from UK - what option is that? I had a quick look and their cheaper option says it only tracks until it's left the UK - does the tracking code still work after that?

Poolsfinest

My order was with Ryan (InTime)

I think the best advice is to very specifically ask what each individual TD wants as to packaging and address labels. End of the day, if it then gets damaged you have a strong case to say this isn't my fault.

Customs wise if I recall it was a value something around $11 and "mechanical parts for repair". Which is technically correct I guess.

The post office options were either ParcelForce or Royal Mail International signed for. PF was more expensive but Ryan asked me to use the RM version. This then tracked the whole journey when using track17.

Hope that helps.