Sign in to follow this  
yawn

Gold plating a santos, crown gem?

yawn

I m currently thinking have my TT santos 100 xl gol plated, mainly because the gold plated bezel starts to fade :(

There is however a little problem, if I want to have the whole watch plated, then I also need have the crown plated, but how do I remove the gem?

There are some previous threads but there was no conclusive result. Should I have the whole crown plated and them remove the plated gold covered the gem? Or heat remove the gem? Is the sapphire-like gem actually a gem or just plastic? I don't want to melt it lol

If anyone has done the gem removal, please kindly advice :)

Bash64

I don't think the gem will plate as it does not conduct electricity. i think you will be fine.

theslavetrainer

However, make sure you see some of your platers work and all this b llsh i t about mls etc on reseller pages- wish theyd just give us the microns. For example I have a Gen Raymond Weil full yellow gold seldom worn with a guaranteed 10 micron plate, wears. Solid really is your only guarantee, or maybee goldfilled- seriously tho the replate will fade, thats why cartier use real gold.Take it back to stainless or suppose get a jeweler to cast it in 9 carat, solid or cheaper hollow fill the cast. But if its not a franken, or a keeper, do it and show us how.

Edited by theslavetrainer