danicica

Can you age a plexi crystal?

danicica

I've seen people putting dials on the oven for a great aging results so I am wondering if there's anything you can do to plexi crystals to make them look old.

RPR_IMG_8128_2.jpg

Any ideas?

black263

Wear them for 40 years.

danicica

Wear them for 40 years.

That might work!

jimbo85281

I think it looks good if you scratch them up and then polish with poliwatch. It gives a nice worn look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

deju

I just look at plexi and it ages! 

andyboy

There is a product called Gallery glass that can be applied to the inside of the plexi that will give it the distressed look.

https://plaidonline.com/brands/gallery-glass

I`m pretty sure there is a "how to" over on the Homage Forum.

Edit

Found it

http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9112&p=99307&hilit=gallery+glass#p99307

KCRyback
On 7/13/2017 at 17:11, danicica said:

I've seen people putting dials on the oven for a great aging results so I am wondering if there's anything you can do to plexi crystals to make them look old.

RPR_IMG_8128_2.jpg

Any ideas?

Well ,that one happens because of temperature changes.Plexi headlights/headlight covers turns out like that after few years. If you have spares you can experiment with oven/fridge or oven/outside if you live in a cold area.But i don't know what would be the outcome.So be careful if you wanna try.

kilowattore

The effect shown is commonly referred to as "crazing". I experimented a lot.trying to recreate it with mixed results.

On thin plexiglasses like Sternkreuz HW or N or similar I got good results by letting the glass sit above a bowl of acetone for a couple of minutes then applying pressure on the crystal with my thumbs. Extreme care is required as the glass is very eager to break.

I assume thicker plexi (like Rolex tropic glasses) could give the same result with a similar method but a tool which allows you to control the pressure applied would be fundamental I think. Every time I tried to press with my fingers the crystal broke.

fatarms

Not sure if it would work at all, and may break the crystal, but what about putting the crystal into boiling water for a few seconds and then into cold water?  Maybe repeating the process may produce some stress fractures?

kilowattore

I thought I might add a couple of pics of the process I described above.

DSC00957.jpg

DSC04852.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

Haltec
27 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Not sure if it would work at all, and may break the crystal, but what about putting the crystal into boiling water for a few seconds and then into cold water?  Maybe repeating the process may produce some stress fractures?

Try soak plexy in isopropyl alcohol..  

Replica01

I experiment with sandpaper in combination with cape cod: works for me:-)afbb82b1cce428144c9d4695c6a2c34c.jpg6612176152e5bff0ad321c1213eacaf5.jpgc31a1ef25751ddcf9f6a160925f4a726.jpg5922546a72a9bb14acbf6062bbbb8dae.jpg0ebdabe954638fb2eec7b01e0eaf4b40.jpg093d5afdc286225b71dd296e9ae13a82.jpg4d27a20a6fee3f9815005ddf09e98fdd.jpge713b1e8fa34e451e00054bfdaaf02a0.jpg4361d9878b16e8d922c5e65673555697.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G928F met Tapatalk

JDM180

When I was doing this , id sand with some ruff sandpaper to get some scratches in there , then scuff that with some brillo pads. then polish back up. gave a great effect with no risk of breaking.

Haltec

crazing.jpg?resize=1024,951

Unfortunately - crazing is very dependant of acrylic type.

tripdog123
3 hours ago, kilowattore said:

I thought I might add a couple of pics of the process I described above.

DSC00957.jpg

DSC04852.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

That's very close to the real thing.

Bart Cordell
16 hours ago, kilowattore said:

The effect shown is commonly referred to as "crazing". I experimented a lot.trying to recreate it with mixed results.

On thin plexiglasses like Sternkreuz HW or N or similar I got good results by letting the glass sit above a bowl of acetone for a couple of minutes then applying pressure on the crystal with my thumbs. Extreme care is required as the glass is very eager to break.

I assume thicker plexi (like Rolex tropic glasses) could give the same result with a similar method but a tool which allows you to control the pressure applied would be fundamental I think. Every time I tried to press with my fingers the crystal broke.

Fantastic tips and results ! I'll give it a try for sure.

trailboss99

Just wear it, won't take long.