Sign in to follow this  
RepGuy

Can I Swap These Movements?

RepGuy

Hey all, I have hopefully a simple question about swapping movements. I have not purchased anything yet, an I want to make sure I don't buy incompatible parts if this will even work.

Basically what I would like to do is swap an A2813 low beat movement in a Rolex Daydate for an ETA Mecaline 2834-2 hi-beat movement, as it has the daydate functions and seems to be reasonably priced.

Should this be a fairly straightforward swap, or will modifications need to be made to accommodate the new movement? The watch can either be 40mm sized or 41mm sized depending on what would make for a cleaner swap. I wasn't aware that the A2813 movement could accommodate a Daydate function, so if any experienced members have input on that it would be appreciated.

NCRich

Not straightforward at all. Hands and dial feet are the wrong size. Have to swap datewheel overlays. Probably still would not line up. It would be a nightmare.

BadPickle

Stoopid noob :lmao:

ROLIE

AS rich has just said , windows would be in a different position and overlay could be all wrong .

Nikosaldente

Stoopid noob :lmao:

:lmao2:

RepGuy

Thanks everyone for the advice (minus PBR). I was hoping for better news, but this seems to be shaping up to be quite the movement swap. Is there a better way to get an ETA movement swapped in, or would an A2836 (or whatever clone can handle the daydate function) work better as a swap? If not, a stock option would be all I was left with, as I would be incapable to preform all of the mentioned mods, and would cringe at the bill for another person to do all of this.

NCRich

Stupid question:

Why don't you sell the 21j and buy one with 2836? Far superior option all the way around and they are not expensive reps anyway.

Mr_B
Stupid question:

Why don't you sell the 21j and buy one with 2836? Far superior option all the way around and they are not expensive reps anyway.

122a3c135fad2b28376ed835221b0b93.jpg

RepGuy

Stupid question:

Well if the movement swap was simple, I was going to look further into that, but based on the feedback, a stock A2836 does seem like the more economical option.