Sign in to follow this  
Xstmist

IWC 3878 Spitfire

Xstmist

This is not a traditional review per se of watch, if you want details about functions or movements go to one of the TD sites

Suffice to say I sourced this from Mary and cannot recommend her enough.

I have longed for this watch for a very long time. There is something mystical in the grey of the dial, interrupted only by the swanky reds of pointers. The gen is a bit out of reach and the reps had the infamous secs @ 6 dilemma ... but hey you only live once right :giggle:

On to the pictures ...

20160701_154804_zpsjosnfkj1.jpg

20160701_154821_zpspf4nbt4n.jpg

20160701_154938_zps05hgnnyh.jpg

20160701_155350_zpsnxllbmzi.jpg

20160701_155642_zpsjsmo9cf5.jpg

20160701_155022_zpsq7xwhiyx.jpg

20160701_155202_zpsvaub0j6m.jpg

20160627_062948_zpsl38cfc9d.jpg

porschespeedster

very beautiful my man. nice photos too.

hopefully the watch lasts.

boredpanda

Nice photos! Very tempting, 43mm?

Xstmist

reckon its 44mm, thanks .. yes hopefully it lasts long. I gotta say this though not sure what they have done in terms of the revision on the movement but the power reserve is really better than most of the other 7750 reps I own, easily lasts 48 hours!

FunnyStarSystem

Great pics, thanks! Having a dilemma deciding on this or a 3777, does anyone have/had both and can elaborate on pros/cons? I'm pretty sure they both have the same movement and case, but man I can't decide between them!

Tikwatejnu

Awesome watch! Enjoy in good health!

JSJ
Great pics, thanks! Having a dilemma deciding on this or a 3777, does anyone have/had both and can elaborate on pros/cons? I'm pretty sure they both have the same movement and case, but man I can't decide between them!

I have both. The 3777 has the standard 7750 movement so the odds are better for a reliable movement.

For appearance, there is not much in it except personal preference. I have the LPP 3777 on a gen croc blue strap, the standard 3777 on a bracelet and the 3878 in this thread as well. One week I prefer one, another week, another. That's the real beauty of reps for me. I have the choice.

redditgw

Thanks for the pics. Been loving and wanting to get this watch except for the whole secs @ 6 issue.

AustinTech

This looks great, hopefully the whole secs at 6 issue doesn't occur with the newest movement innovation. Does this version have the newer movement with the extra jewels?

I really wish someone who had the new LPP 377714 would post some pics or a review. Love that watch. Thinking of getting the gen but it's not easy to find unless you want to pay full retail, and I refuse.

AustinTech

I have both. The 3777 has the standard 7750 movement so the odds are better for a reliable movement.

For appearance, there is not much in it except personal preference. I have the LPP 3777 on a gen croc blue strap, the standard 3777 on a bracelet and the 3878 in this thread as well. One week I prefer one, another week, another. That's the real beauty of reps for me. I have the choice.

How's the LPP working out for you? Is it the older version with the larger date window?

JSJ

How's the LPP working out for you? Is it the older version with the larger date window?

It's working out fine. Here's the date window.

a97079c649b5723f5887cb9cd6a9b26f.jpg

Tikwatejnu

The Silver Dials on the Gen are amazing! I was trying on a 5007 with Grey/silver dial the other day at Bucherer in Düsseldorf and was astonished by it's sheer endles Color combinations. It has a hint of blue and even purple in certain light and Setting. Truly amazing when paired with rosegold I think it a match made in heaven. I dont know why, but IWC puts a huge effort into making every part of the watch with Maximum effort and beautiful and elegant Engineering. Thats why this brand has grown in my Eyes to be a top contender outside of the usual holy trinity.

Edited by Tikwatejnu

Nikosaldente

That's an eye candy!

Enjoy it in good health mate!

Cheers!

shaniko

Thanks for the review. It's a real beauty!

Moondustesp

Looks awesome. That dial wow! Enjoy and be sure to update us with how the sec@6 is going :)

JSJ
Looks awesome. That dial wow! Enjoy and be sure to update us with how the sec@6 is going :)

Doesn't really help to know if one watch is still going. It's like a Fiat owner telling you their car never broke down. Does that mean yours won't?

Rep IWC secs@6 watches: I have six old style and three of the latest versions. All have been run quite a lot (a day here, a day there). The new versions are worn days at a time. No problems with the new ones. The old ones are mostly fine too. No more trouble than other reps.

I have occasionally asked for broken IWC secs@6 watches I can buy to fix. Nobody seems to have them.

Is there a conclusion to draw here?

1. Don't buy a Fiat

2. The IWC secs@6 are not Daytonas. The transfer modules are completely different.

3. Buy an IWC secs@6 rep.

4. Wear the watch and enjoy it.

5. If it goes wrong, PM me. I might buy it. Especially the latest version. I reckon I'll be waiting a while.

6. They don't go wrong much.

the_faz_man

She's a beauty. I did have a problem with my new IWC (a 3380), upon opening the back it was evident that the screws holding the movement in place were floating around - and one was even lodged in the balance wheel. Have sent it back to the TD who arranged repair and the watch is currently in the air over the South China Sea on its way to me. Fingers crossed that it is all working fine when I receive it back.

Clovis1

reckon its 44mm, thanks .. yes hopefully it lasts long. I gotta say this though not sure what they have done in terms of the revision on the movement but the power reserve is really better than most of the other 7750 reps I own, easily lasts 48 hours!

I think the gen is a 43mm.

cmann_97

That is a beautiful watch....going on my list..

cmann_97

Beautiful watch .... Is Mary A TD?

This is not a traditional review per se of watch, if you want details about functions or movements go to one of the TD sites

Suffice to say I sourced this from Mary and cannot recommend her enough.

I have longed for this watch for a very long time. There is something mystical in the grey of the dial, interrupted only by the swanky reds of pointers. The gen is a bit out of reach and the reps had the infamous secs @ 6 dilemma ... but hey you only live once right :giggle:

On to the pictures ...

20160701_154804_zpsjosnfkj1.jpg

20160701_154821_zpspf4nbt4n.jpg

20160701_154938_zps05hgnnyh.jpg

20160701_155350_zpsnxllbmzi.jpg

20160701_155642_zpsjsmo9cf5.jpg

20160701_155022_zpsq7xwhiyx.jpg

20160701_155202_zpsvaub0j6m.jpg

20160627_062948_zpsl38cfc9d.jpg

theJLC
24593799.jpg

Rybo44

Amazing photos! My wife picked this up as a Christmas present for me. Can I ask what strap you have in these pictures?

Xstmist

Amazing photos! My wife picked this up as a Christmas present for me. Can I ask what strap you have in these pictures?

Thanks, its a Rios 1931 Buffalo from Waccex.de

ShovelnTC

I love these but as many have noted the movement does concern me which has so far held me back from getting one.

Your pics do tempt me though.

Enjoy!