Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

HOW TO PAY VIA WESTERN UNION (WU)

greg_r

Firstly, and most importantly, do not try to pay via credit card over the web or telephone. 50% of the time WU will decline your transaction.

The safest way is to walk into your local WU branch, complete a 'send money' form with the payee details that your dealer will have given you and pay with cash.

WU will then give you an MTCN number which you then give your dealer - they will need this number to collect payment.

Job done.

ATEspo

Not to mention the fees are cheaper to send from a WU branch versus online ($14 vs. $25)

Corv99

do we have WU in the UK?

SSTEEL

No WU outlets here in Kuopio, so online is my only option. Used it online twice now, both times with no problems at all :)

KarmaToBurn

I once tried at a local branch and the lady wanted me to fill out a massive form. Didn't have half the required info from the dealer :(

Corv99

dont want to go in somewhere..... how can I possibly buy watches at 3am when i come in pissed? :lol:

narikaa

The point being made is that paying on line using CC's will often fail as WU is NOT for trade, its a way of cashing up l'ill Johnny backpacking the 3rd world on his gap year, or feeding the folks back in the 3rd world.

WU do not and cannot get embroiled in chargebacks etc, so a sniff of trade and its a nocando

Cash on the other hand is of course no problemo

But

Use Moneygram, cheaper and less info needed ;)

callsign21a

Agreed but some dealers don't list moneygram as an option

Harriskitty
do we have WU in the UK?

Yes mate if you go into a pawn brokers eg albemarle and bond I'm pretty sure you could do it from there

greg_r

Thanks Narikaa: Agreed on all counts. I posted this thread in frustration as I have had several issues in the last few days that relate to people trying to pay via WU online..

DR3M3L

Thanks Greg! Next order I'll try out the whole WU thing, I'm still used to Paypal...

solrac

going to a WU branch, like going to the bank or going to the post office for any kind of transaction seems foreign to me these days. i dont do any of the things i listed.

if i cant do it online, i dont do it.

so spoiled.

#1stWorldProblems

greg_r

going to a WU branch, like going to the bank or going to the post office for any kind of transaction seems foreign to me these days. i dont do any of the things i listed.

if i cant do it online, i dont do it.

so spoiled.

#1stWorldProblems

then you need to find another payment method.

Harriskitty

Why not post the cash make them wait a little bit ;-)

Tits McGee

Please listen to Greg. I just tried my first online WU payment 3 days ago. WU screwed up so badly that I ended up making 3 payments. 2 have been refunded but I still have to wait 3-7 business days for the refund. Not only that but the payee (TD) had to make 3 different trips to pick up the money. Beside the frustration of getting it all squared away, I'm out quite a bit of money for a few days, & I look like an idiot to our TD (thats never hard for me). If I had just drove to the WU place I'd have drinking money for this wekend & the TD would have shipped my watch 3 days ago. :picard:

James.

I use WU online, I've set up an account and have my CC saved on there, used it about half a dozen times (in 2 years), no issues here. Then again there's not going to be any question of charging back etc, if I were to pay a dealer $x for a watch, they don't get it, i'll just get something else. In regards to the fees, $25 and a exchange rate of 1AUD = 1.03USD works in my favour once an order reaches in excess of about $300 vs PP with the 4% and exchange rate of 1AUD = 0.98USD :facepalm: I think the WU problems arise when you're making a number of transactions per month like Narikaa said it's not meant for trade(again doesn't apply to me) so if you make more than say 1 per month or so use a different method

Please listen to Greg. I just tried my first online WU payment 3 days ago. WU screwed up so badly that I ended up making 3 payments. 2 have been refunded but I still have to wait 3-7 business days for the refund. Not only that but the payee (TD) had to make 3 different trips to pick up the money. Beside the frustration of getting it all squared away, I'm out quite a bit of money for a few days, & I look like an idiot to our TD (thats never hard for me). If I had just drove to the WU place I'd have drinking money for this wekend & the TD would have shipped my watch 3 days ago. :picard:

damn, that's pretty sucky

solrac

jeez what a disaster. i created my 1st account with WU earlier just to try it out but your stories are definitely scaring me off. i may just try it once with WU online, but push for Paypal. Going with cash to a WU branch for me right now is not an option.

conx

Nice try Greg, shame no one is listening

BadPickle

Greg knows!! I've paid this way, it's easy, and exersize too!!

I fully recommend it!!

greg_r

I use WU online, I've set up an account and have my CC saved on there, used it about half a dozen times (in 2 years), no issues here. Then again there's not going to be any question of charging back etc, if I were to pay a dealer $x for a watch, they don't get it, i'll just get something else. In regards to the fees, $25 and a exchange rate of 1AUD = 1.03USD works in my favour once an order reaches in excess of about $300 vs PP with the 4% and exchange rate of 1AUD = 0.98USD :facepalm: I think the WU problems arise when you're making a number of transactions per month like Narikaa said it's not meant for trade(again doesn't apply to me) so if you make more than say 1 per month or so use a different method

damn, that's pretty sucky

Nope - it's not just when you're making multiple transactions - it seems to vary a bit with location, but other than that, it's just luck of the draw. Around 40-50% of online transactions to China fail. Trust me on this - I posted this thread as I'm getting fed up with PMs asking me why WU payment failed...

black263

If you want to locate a WU agent, you can do so at http://locations.wes...m/?locale=en_US . Just drop-down the Country then on the next page City then Go.

ATEspo

In the past I've tried to send money a couple times online with WU and it never worked for me, always told me there was an error and to visit a retail location.

I goto a local grocery store and there is a WU sign with a telephone and a note pad. In front of it. I pick up the phone, talk to an operator, give her my gold card info (phone number and zip code to verify), give them the receiver name and country, then they give you a code to write down on the note pad to give to the cashier to ring up. No big forms to fill out, nothing, the only info you need is the receiver name and country. It takes maybe 8-10 minutes from start to finish, not bad at all. I can understand people wanting to pay on their computer but its good to get out of the house once in awhile ;)

rhouston8080

Sorry I'm still new. I was confused on the ordering so when I received the WU email details, it says that I get 5% off. Do I do the math myself and WU the reduced amount? Also I ordered twice by accident should I just send an email to cancel it? I want to remain in good standing with ALL TD here!

Baldr

Well untill now every transaction via WU went fine via creditcard. IYesterday night I did a transaction to Kuvarsit (Li) and I'm still waiting for him to pick it up. It seems everything went fine as usual. The only thing I always wonder about is, if you fill in the receiver's amount in Dollars, if they will get their Chinese valuta if they ask for that ;)