Sign in to follow this  
Seven7r

A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin rep from TSWatch

Seven7r

Hello!

So I'm looking for a dress type watch, and I've come down to two options (at the moment):

A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin TSWatch - $88

A-Lange-and-Sohne-Saxonia-Thin-main.jpg

Patek Philippe 5119G from Silix - $76

IMG_4964.jpg

But the focus of the topic is that I don't know if the A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin from TSWatch is worth the bigger price tag $88.

I mean, the watch does look really nice and it does look realistic, except for the lack of an "umlaut" on the "glashUtte" portion. The only thing that I would change is the strap, which I would replace with a nicer black leather strap.

al2780-alangesohne-white-dial-ss-lt-asian-21j-automatic.jpg

The Patek Philippe, on the other hand, looks more formal and 'classy' due to the black roman numerals. The only drawback, is that the subdial is a bit recessed, compared to the flat one on the gen. Same as the Lange, the only thing I would change is the leather strap.

pap091_01.jpg

So guys, which one should I get?

BentleySharp

The Patek Calatrava. 100%. Hands down. Undoubtedly. Without question. Lock stock and barrel. Monkey in the banana patch. Sing a song of six pence. ....

...Get the Patek. :D

Seven7r

Bentley, why do you think that?

What are the "pros" for me getting the Calatrava than getting the Saxonia?

LightGeek

ALS. That bezel on the Patek looks terrible... to me.

RUSH2112

Are you sure the umlaut is not there? It looks like the u is taller than the other letters. I wonder if the umlaut is merged with u in photo.

Dendo

Are you sure the umlaut is not there? It looks like the u is taller than the other letters. I wonder if the umlaut is merged with u in photo.

+1

Get both - they are cheap as chips and you will never know until you have worn them a few times.

RichardMiami

The umlaut is clearly visible in the top pic

Seven7r

The top pic is the genuine one RichardMiami

I can't get both though, I don't have that much money to blow on one occasion, this is my first purchase.

OLDBLOKE74

For your first watch, and for that sort or money, a quartz movement with no second hand is the way to go.

More reliable, more accurate and hassle free

Seven7r

It's actually not a quartz movement, it's a hand wound movement, so yeah.

Seven7r

Guys, I'm desperate, what do you think is THE BEST option for me here?

MikeAlmighty

ALS.

All Pateks are shit

rmbp

Lange for me. Classy

narikaa

Theyre basically much of a muchness (same standard of watch)

The L&S a bit bigger

Like choosing socks its purely a matter of personal preference

Umlauts and minutiae seriously, who you trying to fool anyhow ;)

Seven7r

When I checked, the diameter of the rep is around 44mm, and the gen is 40mm.

Does that include the lugs? on the rep? Could anyone take a guess?

I don't think the rep is that realistic, compared to the Patek Philippe.

But aesthetically, the Saxonia is a bit more correct, while the Patek had issues.

Fuck this is hard :/

gran

Saxonia

Seven7r

The thing is, the Saxonia has a dimensions problem, it's like 5mm too thick, and the size might be too big (says 44mm but it could include the lugs).

So it's kinda a hard decision.

graman

+1

Get both - they are cheap as chips and you will never know until you have worn them a few times.

What Dendo said.

LightGeek
The thing is, the Saxonia has a dimensions problem, it's like 5mm too thick, and the size might be too big (says 44mm but it could include the lugs).

So it's kinda a hard decision.

So what you're asking is not which is better, its which is more accurate for this low price. In that case it doesn't matter. Just pick one.

Seven7r

I'd love to get both, but I don't have that much money to blow on one purchase, maybe over time I'd get the other.

But at the moment, do you guys really think I should just pick which is more appealing to me? Because I'm also looking for accuracy.

I'm not gonna be flaunting it and telling people that I have a gen ALS, or PP. I just want a little realism, as the Patek Philippe I currently own isn't even realistic, it's a bad copy of a 5970R. So I want something that might make me happier because of realism.

Thanks for the input guys!

Wriggles

I would prefer the Lange, but all these things are personal preference.

The one piece of advice I'd give if you are struggling over a twelve dollar difference, is to log off from here and never return. This "hobby" is expensive and by the sounds of it you can't afford it

I'm by no stretch of anyones imagination rich, but twelve dollars would never cause me the concern you seem to be having.

Pick one if you must have one, though if you're struggling to justify twelve dollars, it'd look odd to be wearing something that in gen terms is thousands of dollars. Not that I have an issue with that, but some people feel uncomfortable with it and being questioned over it.

As JeffW once said "buy bread"

Seven7r

I'm actually leaning over to the ALS, my only concern is knowing if it's working, since there is no second hand.

How could I tell? You know, without actually waiting for the minute hand to move?

Imibcn, I can't risk getting something I don't like, especially if what I'm spending it on is worth $100. Because I'm a student and I only get a $5 allowance every day. In my country, the $5 for a High School student is a lot. So I've saved up by not using that amount for quite some time.

I'm not poor, but I'm not rich either, and the school I go to is a private school where students are mostly middle->upper class.

So yeah.

_DC_
ALS.

All Pateks are shit

You, sir, need shooting for that comment! Some people have no class!!!

I'd go Patek, but not for the reasons you would think. Visually I actually prefer the ALS, but it's just too damn big for a dress watch, 44mm is obscene for a dress watch (or a sports watch for that matter IMO). So on that basis it's gotta he the Patek. I owned the 5119 and sold it coz I didn't like it, so I have no loyalty, but that was because dress watches don't suit me, BUT if you are after a classy dress watch you simply can't go wrong with a Patek. No other brand has the elegance and class!

DC

MikeAlmighty
ALS.

All Pateks are shit

I'd go Patek, but not for the reasons you would think. Visually I actually prefer the ALS, but it's just too damn big for a dress watch, 44mm is obscene for a dress watch (or a sports watch for that matter IMO). So on that basis it's gotta he the Patek. I owned the 5119 and sold it coz I didn't like it, so I have no loyalty, but that was because dress watches don't suit me, BUT if you are after a classy dress watch you simply can't go wrong with a Patek. No other brand has the elegance and class!

DC

Just giving my opinion. You are clearly biased toward Patek although I don't know why.

That Nautilus to me is "Nauseatingly" boring. The Aquanaut is equally depressing, and then there are a host of the simplest looking overpriced dress watches that happen to have Patek on the dial. There are maybe 3 or 4 grand complication watches that are to die for, but they are not at issue here.

_DC_
ALS.

All Pateks are shit

DC

Just giving my opinion. You are clearly biased toward Patek although I don't know why.

That Nautilus to me is "Nauseatingly" boring. The Aquanaut is equally depressing, and then there are a host of the simplest looking overpriced dress watches that happen to have Patek on the dial. There are maybe 3 or 4 grand complication watches that are to die for, but they are not at issue here.

Of course you are welcome to an opinion my good man, but you can't claim that "all Pateks are shit" when they are widely acknowledged to be one of the finest watchmakers in the world, that's just ignorant!

Now PAMs, they are shit, hahaha :popcorn:

DC