Sign in to follow this  
Hinclimincli

Asian ETA 2836 stops 20 minutes after worn

Hinclimincli

Hiya everyone,

I received a watch on Friday and have been wearing it since then, not even taking it off at night. Yesterday I received another watch, so I parked the first one temporally. What was my surprise this morning when I saw that the watch stopped overnight!

I've tried all the classic tapping in one side (I've tried all sides, including back and front, to be honest). I checked the seconds hand and it doesn't seem to be touching the glass (it runs smoothly all the time when worn), and both minute and hour hands don't seem to be locked in any position (the watch stops regardless of the time, actually).

I can notice a small clicking when I rotate the crown counterclockwise (when unscrewed), but as far as I know this is normal. What I noticed too is that manually winding is harder on this one, compared to other ETAs I have that are pretty smooth.

Now, during all this time I have been in constant communications with the TD who has been really helpful and communicative, and we reached the point where it looks like I have to send it back. I was thinking on wearing it for one full day, as maybe there's a clot in the mechanism that ends up going away with just using the watch. Does it make any sense?

My question is: I really like this watch, Is there something else I could try? Or just send it back? Or have it serviced somewhere here in UK?

Thanks so much everyone!

greg_r

Sounds like it needs a service.

You can send it back to China and they'll fix the immediate issue, but it will may well still be less than perfect. QC by the makers is sketchy at best and movements are often poorly lubricated. My personal preference is to spend a little more on it and get it serviced - at least that way you'll know that the watch is in tip-top condition and should - in theory - then run reliably for years.

If you decide to go that way, try WatchrepairUK on the trusted dealer list. Nick does good work.

Hinclimincli
If you decide to go that way, try WatchrepairUK on the trusted dealer list. Nick does good work.

Thanks Greg, I was thinking on something like that, but the timings are putting me off a little bit. I might send it anyway as to me that Explorer is definitely a keeper.

It could be a good opportunity to send my 2009 Railmaster too as it has never been serviced and it has nearly 10 years (working flawlessly, I guess I was lucky with that one!).

Thanks again Greg, useful as always!