Sign in to follow this  
6Antique9

Replacement glass

6Antique9

Hi everyone, nice to find a forum for people who don't want to or could never afford the real thing.

I have a replica Longine Le Grande Classique mans watch. It has been working fine and I replaced the battery some months ago without any problems. However, somehow and I don't know how I have managed to damage the glass. It has a star crack but has not affected the watch working. I am a little perturbed about taking it to a jeweller or watch repairer because some years ago while in Thailand I bought a replica Rolex and being naïve, when the battery ran out I asked a jeweller to replace for me. He immediately refused, even to return it to me, destroyed it and threw it in the bin. So I don't want another experience like that. I have asked one independent repairer who told me it was impossible to replace the glass because the movement had to come out the front and he would not be able to remove the glass.

Can anyone tell me where or how I could get a replacement glass. I watched a YouTube video by a watch repairer and he removed the glass, after removing the winder by pushing high pressure air through the hole vacated by the winder and the glass popped out. He said that is how Longines do it. I have nothing to lose so it would be helpful for your advice. Sorry so long.

Regards

GenTLe

Hi everyone, nice to find a forum for people who don't want to or could never afford the real thing.

Mate, here is PLENTY of people owning "the real thing". The difference between here and the "club of gen owners" is that here there is probably a lot more knowledge than there, where often the scope is to show off who has the dick (wallet) longer (fuller).

About the battery operated Rolex: well he did good :D Such crap shouldn't exist on this Earth. Seriously: I don't know where you are, but here that is destruction of private property and he would have risked a police report for that. Regardless if it was a fake or not.

Why this is in "WATCH REVIEWS & REFERENCE → Straps and Accessories" ????

Post some picture of the watch, especially 2/3 profile like this one:

143046_05_full.jpg

nowhere001
battery ran out I asked a jeweller to replace for me. He immediately refused, even to return it to me, destroyed it and threw it in the bin.

Where do you live that that isn't a crime? He's taken it upon himself to toss out a piece of your property that you had asked him to repair.

narikaa
battery ran out I asked a jeweller to replace for me. He immediately refused, even to return it to me, destroyed it and threw it in the bin.

Where do you live that that isn't a crime? He's taken it upon himself to toss out a piece of your property that you had asked him to repair.

Were you bullied at school / still at school?

I'd have to ingest mescalin to even image that happening

trailboss99

Quite, I would have called a cop and had the ass arrested just for being so arrogant as to think he can do that.

Mate any of the watchmakers listed here or at RWI can do that small job for you. Where are you based?

6Antique9

Well thanks for the support guys but that was a long time ago and if I knew then what I know now I would have protested and maybe even sued him. Yes it was a piece of crap but it was my piece of crap. The law now is that you can own a replica but you are not permitted to sell replica watches. Unfortunately none of you have advised where or how to replace the glass. No mind, I have watched an expert watch repairer dismantle a Longine watch and I will give it a try myself, after all this is just another piece of crap.

Regards

6Antique9

OK Sorry to Imajica if this is in the wrong forum. I would post a couple of photos if I knew how. It is a Le Grande Classique (replica) stainless steel, very thin.

Regards

Rx4Time

Use Photobucket. Upload the pictures, and copy the link for fourms URL. Photobucket calls it IMG. It is basically the URL with brackets around it.

gavmeister

Mate any of the watchmakers listed here or at RWI can do that small job for you. Where are you based?

Unfortunately none of you have advised where or how to replace the glass.

Really? No-one bothered....you got a reply from trailboss99 who you didn't answer about where you are based and if you had he would have told you where to go to find the help you need. He even told you where you could look to find the answer?

6Antique9

Sorry trailboss99 and teddy875, don't come back every day. I am grateful for all your input. I live in Windsor Berkshire. I guess any other watch, fake or real would have been straight forward but it appears with a Longine everything except the batter has to come out of the front because the back plate is smaller than the movement. Life is too short so I think I might just wait until it breaks completely and falls out. I removed the back plate to see how easy it would be to remove the winder and it didn't look as easy as it did on the video then, also I noticed the gasket inside was missing so I don't think the air pressure would work to create the pressure to pop the glass out. I will check out teddy875 links.

I will let you all know how things progress (or not) for your library.

Thanks guys

Regards

6Antique9

Update: both the links were international (USA) Sorry guys, I thought this was a UK site.

6Antique9

Another update: Found a UK based company Crystalfit.co.uk. Rough quote online is £24.50 plus £8.50 return postage. I have asked if they would entertain working on a Longine replica.

Happy New Year

GenTLe

The reason I asked for the pic is that most probably the crystal is attached to a removable bezel. So if you are able to remove the bezel then you can change the glass too (other than eventually take the movement out).

But happy you found someone that will do the job :)

Emre

I think Crystal glass better for the watch you have.

Nikohublot

Whats wrong with you?

RepGuy

Whats wrong with you?

He's a noob trying to post whore... I'm impressed he even knows the difference between mineral and sapphire