Sign in to follow this  
manodeoro

Heavily modded 16610 cheapie ... or "minutes of a shitinerand plastic surgery"

manodeoro

About a month ago I spent a 4 days vacation in the South of France. so we paid a visit to my father in law (he's a nice guy ... and has a nice terrace just in front of the sea).

I had my 6538 SYL on the wrist and when he saw it he immediatly felt in love with it and we begun to talk watches.

He talked to me about an old (and not working) 16610 Rep he had and asked if I could have a look at it, try to fix it and give it a better look.

I should have dodged that issue but ... I said "why not" !!!

So he searched his drawers and show up the "thing" I'll see below, definitely a cheapie among the cheapies.

But a "why not" is really close to a "yes" and my father in law is, as I already said, a really nice guy, so ... "challenge accepted".

I put the "watch" in my luggage and took it home and decided to forget about it for a few days.

But I had alost made a promise so I had a first close look at it, opened the case and wiped some.

Then I begun what was supposed to be just a refurbishment but finished being what I would call a real plastic surgery.

So here's the story and I hope you'll like it ... and sorry if I'm too chatty

01 - FIRST DAY - FIRST LOOK :

Technically :

- the movement seems to work ... when I shake it the seconds hand already begins walking round

- the O-rings on the crown are dead and the caseback ring is probably dead too

- the stem seems "loosy" fixed on the crown and the watch cant be set

- the SELs stay loosy on the case ... and they are ugly (but that's an esthetical remark)

Alltogether that watch needs some work but it's not that bad

Esthetically :

Wow !!! I really dont know if I can save it.

- the polished parts look tooooo shiny and more like chrome than polished SS

- the "brushed" parts just look mate and "sad"

- the crownguards are stubby as bulldog jaws

- the dials is ... "something" ... the polices not that bad but the indexes stubby too (but still not big indexes)

- the bracelet looks very cheap and has ugly SELs

1256834901.jpg

65386902.jpg

15252603.jpg

73565704.jpg

51677505.jpg

18889206.jpg

94780207.jpg

75256608.jpg

6523199.jpg

87468210.jpg

45897111.jpg

32704512.jpg

95789213.jpg

60265814.jpg

33178215.jpg

76260216.jpg

36194417.jpg

75191918.jpg

96124319.jpg

40838520.jpg

Then I open the case and here is a "nice surpise".

The caseback wears some weird engravings :

MONARCHPOLFY S.A.

GELENA

SHITINERAND

STAINLESS STEEL

I had already heard and read about those crazy casebacks but I had never seen one in real.

A proof, IMHO, that Rep makers can act funny sometimes.

Then I look at the case and movement and ... "Sh.t In Your Hand" they said ???

Definitely sh.t in that watch and I'd better beware of rats and cockcroaches cause I could find some there.

And as I remove the stem I see what's going weird.

The crown is damaged and "falls in parts" And the stem is sealed in one of those ... I'll try to fix that later

36073121.jpg

5046553323.jpg

96576625.jpg

23696324.jpg

95040726.jpg

GenTLe

You are brave... And have a lot of time.

In your situation I'd get a Regmariner and give it to him ;)

GC

<3

NCRich

Its all in fun. You will learn something too. Why not?

manodeoro

You are brave... And have a lot of time.

In your situation I'd get a Regmariner and give it to him ;)

Well ... I dont have so much time.

And considering a regmariner I think that watch will look a lot better when I'm finished with it :P

manodeoro

02 - CLEAN TEST :

That watch is so durty that I fist want to know if it really can be cleaned with the only tools I have, lukewarm water, dish-washing liquid and C-oil.

And it works ... there's no more s..t in that Shitinerand caseback and ugly buckle.

image.png

image.png

image.png

manodeoro

03 - BRACELET :

As I already said the bracelet looks very cheap :

- the brushed parts are not brushed but just mate and sad looking.

- the link's sides, that should be polished (if I'm true), are just "rough and ready"

- the SELs are ... ugly

My first idea is to through that thing in the garbage can ... but the wach is not mine and I "accepted the challenge".

So I fist put that bracelet in myd "red grease" for 48 hours, washed it and dried it.

Then I have reworked it completely with some sandpaper sheets (grade 600 to 1200), my dremel-like, some red compound and of course a good amount of elbow grease.

Below you can look at it, from the first pics "before" to the last "final result" wich is, IMHO, unexpected.

At the end I really sort of liked that bracelet and though it's completely wearable.

So I wrapped it in some greaseproof paper so it can wait for the rest of the watch.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

manodeoro

04 - CASE :

What's the difference within an antilop and a bull ?

Same difference within the crownguards of a nice 16610 and those on my father-in-law's watch.

image.png

image.png

I think I cant say better.

And it's not about modding here ... it's more about sculpture because that case needs some real plastic surgery.

So once again I've had to use sandpaper sheets, dremel, compound and elbow grease, plus a complete set of diamond files.

I reworked the case with the bezel on because it's a paperclip construction so I didn't take no risk and prefered to just protect it with some painter's tape.

Feel free to post you comments but I'm REALLY happy with the result and I think all the efforts and time spent was definitely worthy.

Below are the pics, again from "before" to "after" and some taken along the process ... on the final pics the watch I reworked is the one without insert.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

manodeoro

05 - CROWN :

I tried to save the crown and repair it with a tiny bit of copper wire ... I like to pretend being MacGyver.

It worked but I wasn't 100% certain everything would stay in place so I prefered to change for a crwon and stem I had in my drawer.

I'll work again ion that crown later ... just for the fun of it.

And if I succeed I'll create a specific thread.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nikosaldente

Nice work!

Good for you!

Well done!

Looking forward to seeing the final result!

LightGeek

So much patience. You can polish a turd, but...

manodeoro

06 - CRYSTAL :

The crystal is good enough (samel quality level as the watch) but it has some scratches on the cyclop.

One can see them only on macro pics but it bothered me so I dedided to do my best to fix that thing.

A good friend of mine told me I should use Cerium Oxide.

So I bought some (that's really cheap) and tried that method.

All you need is :

- Cerium Oxide

- small amount of water

- some make-up remover pads

- elbow grease (wrist grease in fact)

Just mix some oxide with water to make a thick paste, moist you pads (unless they will abosrb all the water from the paste), take some of the paste with a pad and rub the crystal, again and again.

I did that for minutes, and hours, while watching the news or a movie on TV, listening some cool music, having a sunbath on my terrace, etc ...

It's a very looooooong process but ... it works.

The scratches didn't disappeared but it's really better ... IMHO

I'm not certain that was worthy or usefull but I'm happy.

I won't go further cause If I want to get a perfect result I would have to sand the cyclop 800/1200/2000 then repolish with Cerium Oxide.

I would be a very long process and I'm not quite certain that the difference would be visible without a magnifying glass.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

manodeoro

07 - MOVEMENT :

The movement seemed to work good and with the new stem/crown assembly it can be set without problem and the date changes between 11PM and 1AM, so everything is OK.

Except the date wheel.

The police was ... "exotic" could be the right word.

So I decided to make a DIY overlay wich could look some more accurate :

- designed the DWO on Illustrator/Photoshop

- printed it on a very thin photo paper

- cut it and fixed it on the datewheel with some double-sided tape

- add a "wedge" made from the same photo paper between the dial and the dial spacer fixed with double-sided tape)

That's all.

Now the police looks less "strange" and the date still changes well between 11PM and 1AM.

And here are some pics of the process

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

manodeoro

08 - DIAL :

OMG ... that dial really bothered me

The printings were no that bad and "could look" like some 2006 dials but the indexes ... OMG !!!

image.png

image.png

Looking at the indexes I first thought about swapping the minutes hand for a thicker one and the insert for a green one, so that the watch could look like a 50th anniversary LV.

But it wouldnt work, the indexes are not even "big iNdexes" and the printings would not be accurate.

Then I searched my drawers and found a 16610 dial that "could have" work ... but I had already modded it for an ongoing 16800 Comex project.

So I have created a thread here, a WTB asking for a "cheap but decent" 16610 dial.

And now I'm waiting for a nice 16610 dial ... much more accurate and almost period correct.

manodeoro

09 - FINISHED ... or not :

Here should be some pics of the watch recovering from plastic surgery or sunbathing on my wrist while waiting to go to its original owner.

But I still have to :

- receive the dial I'm waiting for

- clean everything

- put all the parts together

so ...

TO BE CONTINUED​

NCRich

Absolutely love it manodeoro. People talk junk about it, but this is really cool. I've done this several times and its always fun.

Degsy1880

some patience there mate, well done you

D.

Piccolo

Nice work - great effort for what you have done so far..!

"What's the difference within an antilop and a bull ?

Same difference within the crownguards of a nice 16610 and those on my father-in-law's watch."

:lmao: Brilliant!

Necromancer

In a world where things are thrown away and replaced with new too easily, this is a joy to see.

Great work. I wish that I had the patience (and time) to even attempt a job like this.

I look forward to the final result and the reaction of your father in law!

manodeoro

So much patience. You can polish a turd, but...

One can learn some usefull things while polishing a watch ... even if it's a turd.

Learn to wait for the final result ...

Learn to restrain to post disdainfull comments ...

Learn patience and ... possibly ... manners

and BTW ... here are some "turds" I have polished

644247IMG20170516190940.jpg

50668689WRISTCHECK.jpg

77872692CASEBACKcopie.jpg

475437IMG201706071919401.jpg

Edited by manodeoro

luban

Really amazing hands!

Edited by luban

manodeoro

Absolutely love it manodeoro. People talk junk about it, but this is really cool. I've done this several times and its always fun.

Thanks NCRich ... I dont really mind the junk posts ... unless one but I have already replied :D

manodeoro

some patience there mate, well done you

D.

Nice work - great effort for what you have done so far..!

"What's the difference within an antilop and a bull ?

Same difference within the crownguards of a nice 16610 and those on my father-in-law's watch."

:lmao: Brilliant!

In a world where things are thrown away and replaced with new too easily, this is a joy to see.

Great work. I wish that I had the patience (and time) to even attempt a job like this.

I look forward to the final result and the reaction of your father in law!

Really amazing hands!

Thanks to you all.

I'll post the final result as soon as I receive the new dial ... and find time to put everything together.

About having patience and time ... I really dont have so much time and I often work 12 hours a day but :

- I'm a shoooort sleeper (rarely more than 4 hours)

- My kids are all growned so it's only me and my beloved half (who requires ... I must agree ... a lot of time)

- I'm a former ultra-runner so a "long distance" modd doesn't frighten me

- such a work doesn't requires so much time ... when finished it will be no more than 14 hours

LightGeek

Your kids are all grown and it's just your better half. This is for your father in law. I can only guess the ages! Keep on posting :) it's looks fantastic -- other than the date wheel, but that can't be helped. I envy the time you have to do this indeed!

manodeoro

Your kids are all grown and it's just your better half. This is for your father in law. I can only guess the ages! Keep on posting :) it's looks fantastic -- other than the date wheel, but that can't be helped. I envy the time you have to do this indeed!

1 - 33 and 27 - 58 and 57 - 76

2 - will look even better when finished ... waiting for a better dial (from a nice member on a forum) and will improve the datewheel

3 - as I already wrote I work about 12 hours a day and still find time to "take care" of my better half, swim 2 miles twice a week, runs some ultras (26 miles and more ... training for a 99) and fiddle with some watches ... TIME IS AN INVENTION