elmerlo

Big Pilot Petit Prince by ZF: review and pics

elmerlo

After much thought, as some initial reports on RWI where not enthusiastic (uneven lume, movement problems) I decided to buy a BP PP anyway. Tried the original, fell in love with it.

It was a one month wait, as I asked Marvellous Replica for it initially in the last days of february, but no way to get it, until last week he found one: bang. Shipped on monday, in Italy on tuesday, still running with PR at 2-3. :fme:

To me, this is a great release, having the chance to play with the Gen for a few minutes, made me appreciate the great work done by our Chinese friends down there. There is virtually no visual difference between the two.

You have to like gigantic watches, as this wears big, the more so on my tiny wrists, but it's a lovely watch. One thing that impressed me was the strap: great quality here. So far the leather straps coming with the watches were almost cardboard-like, this one is smooth and soft. A pleasure.

Of course, if you go into microscopic details, you can find something: mine, for example has the "2" tilted a couple of degrees to the right (nothing that a master like KeNny can't solve) and the crown doesn't go all the way down, but hey, I don't give it a fuck! The watch is gorgeusl! :)

About the lume: Hands and PR indicator are good/bright, while the numbers are not so radioactive as I would expect. In this aspect I can't say if the original glows in the dark or has a more discrete lume like this ZF, so I won't say more. But here, again, KeNny can come to help at anytime and make it a lighthouse in no time. ;)

Here the pics of _my_ watch. There are a couple taken from MR QC, but if you look at the "2" you see it's mine. ;)

DSC_1639-R_zps8ocdsy23.jpg

DSC_1640-R_zpszh1u1gf6.jpg

DSC_1636-R_zpsjnoxqvir.jpg

3_zps65whbibv.jpg

2_zps6wqrusdt.jpg

1_zpshyaaiits.jpg

Robeng

Very nice.I like the blue dial and the style of the numerals.

No one will notice the 2

Congrats.

GT86

She's a big Beaut mate! Great review. Enjoy :thumbsup2:

Nugget001

Great looking watch & the blue really pops

But I just can't get past the big ass crown sticking way out there

GenTLe

Lovely! Hope they 'll do also the grey dial one!

Abe Fromen

Wow that's the tits!

elmerlo

Two interesting figures:

- Power reserve in this watch is a whopping 66 hours! I put it on the desk at 11:15 of the 23rd with PR at full scale: it came to rest this morning at 6:45. :thumbsup:

- Weight is 153 grams, little more than a Sub.

JSJ

This looks great. Thanks very much for the review and pics.

So is this the new movement with the PR dial at correct spacing? Same movement as the 5001/5007?

Do you know the exact IWC number for this?

elmerlo

This looks great. Thanks very much for the review and pics.

So is this the new movement with the PR dial at correct spacing? Same movement as the 5001/5007?

Do you know the exact IWC number for this?

You're welcome. It's a rather "fresh" rep, so the more info around, the better.

PR is spot on: check the gen. The IWC code is IW500908.

The movement is an Asian 23J, sported as "the best looking 51111 movement around".

And it looks like this:

9_zpstmwt7fs9.jpg

10_zpsgskpifap.jpg

Kylewh

Love this watch but not sure if i can pull it off with my 6.5 wrist. Can you say what size wrist you have and how this beauty wears

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pam00441

Just a great watch!

The more I look at your pics the closer I get to pull the trigger as well

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

elmerlo

One thing that impressed me was the strap: great quality here. So far the leather straps coming with the watches were almost cardboard-like, this one is smooth and soft. A pleasure.

I quote myself on this to make an update of the review: today I had the chance to buy a Gen IWC Petit Prince leather strap from an AD and put it up straightaway on the BP, as in many posts on RWI, the quality of the Chinese strap was referred as shit.

Guess what? No difference.

If you are worried about the strap quality on this ZF, just forget about it: it's perfect, soft like the Gen (if not more).

gixxerjunkie

Hey nice pics, enjoy the big boy :)

I might be getting one soon.

sunnydale

One thing that impressed me was the strap: great quality here. So far the leather straps coming with the watches were almost cardboard-like, this one is smooth and soft. A pleasure.

I quote myself on this to make an update of the review: today I had the chance to buy a Gen IWC Petit Prince leather strap from an AD and put it up straightaway on the BP, as in many posts on RWI, the quality of the Chinese strap was referred as shit.

Guess what? No difference.

If you are worried about the strap quality on this ZF, just forget about it: it's perfect, soft like the Gen (if not more).

Thank you for the great review! About the strap, I think it is not that good. It feels a bit like rubbery and I don't think it is genuine leather. It does look good and feels soft but I ended up ordering a genuine IWC strap for it. It should arrive next week so fingers crossed it is better than the rep :)

elmerlo

Thank you for the great review! About the strap, I think it is not that good. It feels a bit like rubbery and I don't think it is genuine leather. It does look good and feels soft but I ended up ordering a genuine IWC strap for it. It should arrive next week so fingers crossed it is better than the rep :)

I sold my Gen strap on Ebay... There's nothing special with the Gen. I hope you didn't pay the 450+Euros they ask for the Gen, as they are not worth it. Better have a strap made by an artisan like Jacob Straps, if you want to change the Chinese one.

sunnydale

I sold my Gen strap on Ebay... There's nothing special with the Gen. I hope you didn't pay the 450+Euros they ask for the Gen, as they are not worth it. Better have a strap made by an artisan like Jacob Straps, if you want to change the Chinese one.

Gen is really worth it, and it costs 290 euros for this model. My rep strap started to show some wear only after a little wear. I think it is rubber or something synthetic and not leather. Gen on the other hand is of super quality leather, I think you don't get any better than this. Just my opinion.

20160720_194506%20Custom_zpsa59xl5zp.jpg

20160720_194456%20Custom_zpsvtoxunev.jpg

20160720_194518%20Custom_zpsh2su8ozk.jpg

AlexM

Thank you! Great photo.

RepC

Beautiful. Didn't use to care for these but they are really starting to grow on me. Thanks for sharing!

elmerlo

Here is a nice comparison: on the left the original Chinese lume, on the right the superb job by KeNny! :nuke::notworthy: :thumbsup:

DSC_0145_zpssvbwc1ya.jpg

KeNnY

Now that is a difference :lol: Thank you Mic, very happy you like it, this watch is awesome piece

ericb196

awesome work from Kenny :)

elicohen

Very impressive!

Lovely watch, and a candidate of mine for sure

The astromaster

+1

tschacko

Anyone knows if there are missaligned date wheels on the LPP lately?