elloello

Guide To Francklins

elloello

Guide To Francklins

1.What is a Francklin?

well a Franken short for "Frankenstein" is basically a watch with gen and non-gen parts so being a Franck Muller I see another guy say "Francklin Muller on a watch forum & caught on why he said it right away he was being "witty" with his remark so any Franck Mullers with the above criteria will be a "Francklin Muller" to me from now on.

2.Why are some gen dials coming without lume? But when you go to a AD they have lume? Ok simply put most of the time you will see "used dials" in Francklin Mullers this is for two reasons, A. Cost, B.availability "A" some brand new dials are $500+ plus to buy which in hand can defeat the persons goal on getting or a Francklin being built because it simply makes it too costly to do so.

B. Availability of used dials come from different sources some use various sellers on e-bay some use direct sources to seek these dials out if and when they come available.Also because they are used dials sometimes the lume is removed at source sometimes not maybe the case or perhaps simply didn't even make it past QC so was rejected at a stage of luminous application,the source can only really highlight this so I tried to explain the best I possibly can being a humble hobbyist. I personally have had over 20 dials in question with all different grades and quality

3. How do you know a crazy hours rep dial v gen dial?

I see this as the most commonly asked question to me via PMs,have a look at the pictures below one is tagged "rep" the other is tagged "gen" quickly study the 11 & once you notice the difference it will be embedded in your mind once you get it,then afterwards you will see other slight differences on some of the other numbers for example, for fun I let you play "spot the difference"

rfDHRbG.jpg

RUi78qe.jpg

ITg7J5g.jpg

4. Crazy Hours Curvex numbers are a different font to the Long Island crazy hours so what I do is add pics a little later so it doesn't confuse anybody at this stage in question

hopefully this info helps you out on your watch journey

• Like 1

elloello

a mixture of lume & unlumed crazy hours dials

kvjbHgZ.jpg

bGv7dEK.jpg

Corv99

Where do,you find the dials? I'm not a massive crazy hours fan.. But some are really nice.. The blue is awesome!

elloello

Crazy Hour Curvex

this is interesting because the reps to date have 3 case sizes "small/medium" "medium large"

"Jumbo" also to put a spanner in to the works there are rep dials which have the correct font and dials that have the wrong font for this model.

Let's start this off with the rep dial fonts

below is the incorrect font,

EmX90o8.jpg

If you look at the numbers you will see they are the same as the Long Island Crazy Hours font which is incorrect for this model, I include more close up pics below so you can see

4b8Tnru.jpg

aASR81H.jpg

now we have a picture of another crazy hours curvex rep next to each other

sBLMHef.jpg

Now look closely at the fonts on 1, 11,10 to hopefully see the differences I will include closer pics below

XA8xQmD.jpg

utx280r.jpg

EZFUOPJ.jpg

obviously there is other numbers you notice once you look at them carefully,

in my view this is actually not a bad rep

Gen dials to my knowledge are 3 sizes for the Curvex CH range

"small / medium"

"medium / large"

"Jumbo"

There is a pretty easy way to know with your Tds to decide what they are selling, the clue is to look at the back of the case "back plate"

Quick reference numbers to be mindful about

Jumbo size =

8800 cc at

VXU557v.png

"small medium" or "medium large" =

5850 or 8580 with text underneath saying "Crazy Hours"

nGCZ3hl.jpg

you just have to ask the measurements to be sure which one will work best for your dial,

some of the early models did have "Casablanca" or "Vegas" & the infamous "Colour Drbams" Yeah I know it's annoying for a spelling mistake for any connoisseur buyer but keep to these numbers you should be half way conquering your goal, obviously there are some other back plate "numbers /name" but the main majority is above

last but not least here are closer pics of a gen dial

Bvs1tCD.jpg

IEYtENS.jpg

there is a fantastic review on our neighbouring rep forum below which is a great read from a few years back

https://rwg.cc/topic/70757-toads-review-of-the-franck-muller-crazy-hours-color-dreams

And a very good database links below

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=601?

Edited by elloello

onzenuub

Crazy Hour Curvex

this is interesting because the reps to date have 3 case sizes "small/medium" "medium large"

"Jumbo" also to put a spanner in to the works there are rep dials which have the correct font and dials that have the wrong font for this model.

Let's start this off with the rep dial fonts

below is the incorrect font,

If you look at the numbers you will see they are the same as the Long Island Crazy Hours font which is incorrect for this model, I include more close up pics below so you can see

now we have a picture of another crazy hours curvex rep next to each other

Now look closely at the fonts on 1, 11,10 to hopefully see the differences I will include closer pics below

obviously there is other numbers you notice once you look at them carefully,

in my view this is actually not a bad rep and recently a rep factory has updated the jumbo dial to this correct font,

Gen dials to my knowledge are 2 sizes for the Curvex CH range

"small / medium"

"medium / large"

so the jumbo cases are too big for either dials however there is a pretty easy way to know with your Tds to decide what they are selling, the clue is to look at the back of the case "back plate"

Jumbo size =

8800 cc at

5850 or 8580 with text underneath saying "Crazy Hours" you just have to ask the measurements to be sure which one will work best for your dial,

some of the early models did have "Casablanca" or "Vegas" & the infamous "Colour Drbams" Yeah I know it's annoying for a spelling mistake for any connoisseur buyer but keep to these numbers you should be half way conquering your goal, obviously there are some other back plate "numbers /name" but the main majority is above

last but not least here are closer pics of a gen dial

there is a fantastic review on our neighbouring rep forum below which is a great read from a few years back

https://rwg.cc/topic...rs-color-dreams

You do know one could find the reviews also here: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=601? :)

elloello

^^ thanks :) now included in my bio above more knowledge the better for all ;)

Edited by elloello

elloello

CH Rep Movement

TX6XVmv.jpg

oKADK6t.jpg

Video link below

it's the sturdy built Asian 21j ok it's 22j but that's a whole other story :) it's been modified there is no tells how this movement functions ,the crazy hour flicks like the Gen movement does,nothing major to give it away cosmetically on your wrist unless you open your watch & or have backplate text syndrome.

Owning or doing CH francklins is a great way to go unless you want to go up the ladder & going all out gen? Bang for buck no questions in my mind CH Francklins is a great way to own a unique watch without spending thousands or even 700+ like some rep watches are costing these days in ratio to £ $ € ¥.

End of the day enjoy what you can afford and don't get too caught up with trying to get everything like for like because the money will runaway as you going along very easy, I seen some watches on various rep forums when you actually break it down on costs spending four figures on gen parts & rep parts you might as well waited and saved up & gone to a Gen AD put a deposit down get 0% finance deal & pay little each month and in a year or 2 it's all paid for without major pain trying to find all the money in one lump "that's my view anyway" but remember "francklins / frankens"

are never a full out Gen, keep it sensible look after your wallet is key in this game ;)

Enjoy your time.

Edited by elloello
  • Like 1

Malkovich

Gen dials to my knowledge are 2 sizes for the Curvex CH range

"small / medium"

"medium / large"

so the jumbo cases are too big for either dials however there is a pretty easy way to know with your Tds to decide what they are selling, the clue is to look at the back of the case "back plate"

Jumbo size =

8800 cc at

5850 or 8580 with text underneath saying "Crazy Hours"

[

Thanks for this, elloello! I'm looking into putting together a Francklin CH, so this is very helpful.

Please can you clarify the part I quoted?

Are you saying that the rep jumbo CH curvex (8880) cases are larger than that of the gen 8880?

So, the gen curvex CH dials only fit the rep 5850 or 8580 cases?

I'm pretty confused, even after doing pretty extensive searching/ reading on this. I see lots of gen CH dials for sale (both curvex and Long Island), and am not sure which fit with which CH rep.

Any clarity you can provide would be appreciated!