Sign in to follow this  
Jholmeson

Patek 530 Aged/Tropicalized

Jholmeson

The Gen

www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/patek-philippe-an-extremely-rare-large-and-5836318-details.aspx

Sold for a cool $612,354 (not including likely another 20-30% in auction premium and taxes, ouch!) back in 2014. It was listed as "THE PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN".

Patek-Philippe-Ref-530-Steel-Chono-Christies.jpg

The Rep

DSCN8890.JPG?m=1469775924

A pretty good copy. Picked it up from Trusty Time, where it's listed as a Patek 130.

Very cool to see a beautiful vintage watch being replicated. Wish the factories would do more like this.

Too clean and new looking though.

I'd seen some of KeNnY's work on Rolexes and inquired if he'd be able to do a similar treatment on this Patek. Sent it off to KeNnY with the request "make it look 75 years old". It took a while to come back - not quite 75 years long but still a long time - all KeNnY's work is done by hand so this is understandable. The work is superb and the watch looks suitably aged with a beautiful patina. KeNnY also found a distressed strap to match the photo.

The Result

sfLb1Fdl.jpg

One note - the hands seemed to get dislodged during transit - the minute hand is about 22 minutes off kilter - in the shot it should be pointed at 12 :( Need to take it somewhere to get repaired (unless there's an easy way to do this myself?)

Work in Progress / Detail

32331952050_b857a96a45_k.jpg

Very happy with the result! Especially for 0.0006% of the cost of a gen :D It's a beautiful and elegant watch, wears very differently to a modern rep.

KeNnY was great to work with and is a master of his craft. Strongly recommend his work!

Edited by Jholmeson

Thelittleprince

Absoulty stunning!

Daffy

Wow. Just wow. What awesome work.

bowtiefanatc

That's pretty cool. To each their own on the vintagizing of the watch. I applaud you for not half assing it though. The 530 is such a classy watch!

_DC_

I absolutely love this, superb work, I always thought this vintage rep needed "vintagizing" to take it to the next level!!

I feel an email to KeNnY coming on...

DC

Phantomtech

Very cool!

Kaiser

Great idea and fantastic result! :thumbsup:

Aquanautilus

Very nice!

MAJ75

This is one of my favourite threads on here for a while.

I remember DC commenting when it came out that it could be a piece to benefit from "vintagizing" & you have followed that through with real gusto.

Props to you for getting the project done & for KeNnY's artistry. Nice to see this all pieced together in a thread of this nature, you have certainly taken a great stock rep to the next level.

Wear it well.............

watchcraze

What a cool process and attention to detail. Can't say it's something I would do, that being said I can certainly appreciate the thought and effort that must have gone into it. Wear it in good health.

Majwilliams0308

Beautiful!!! How does the back look?

What was the process to age the dial? The watch hands don't look aged, not sure if they are or not

KeNnY

Thank you Jholmeson very happy you like the results ! :)

Even that I packed the watch really safe with a lot of bubble wrapping I see it did not survive the trip back without moving the hands :( The hands just need to be removed and aligned and pushed. So maybe best to someone who knows what is he doing. But remember he will have to remove the face of the watch, meaning he will will need to be careful while prying out the face of the watch on 12 o'clock.

And thank you all that you like it ! It is not safe process and not easy process, as there is high risk of damaging the lettering of the dial in the process so the results might vary from piece to piece. I did not damage / age the hands, as the photos I have seen the hands where in undamaged shiny condition, and it looks better like this.

After all I was pleased with the results on the dial, :) so thank you all for your warm comments. Happy you like it :)

splke

looks fantastic great work and good vision from op

gran

Looks great! but seriously you need a new strap

daydate

damn nice watch sir

brang1

amazing the talented people around this place, fantastic result

greg_r

That's beautiful work by KeNny. Lovely thing - hope you get that hand sorted without too much trouble!

SliceMaster

That looks sooooo good WOW great job from the slovakien wizard again!

Jholmeson

Beautiful!!! How does the back look?

What was the process to age the dial? The watch hands don't look aged, not sure if they are or not

Gen back:

2qvup0i.jpg

Rep back:

x2gLU6N.jpg

Talked to KeNnY about whether he'd be able to find or create a solid back that would fit but kind of glad that didn't pan out - the movement is beautiful to look at and I'm not trying to pass this off as a $600k gen. It's also obscured by the NATO strap.

Not sure what KeNnY's process is - or if he'd be willing to give it away. Working with him was fantastic, like working with a great tailor who stops you from going too far (not distressing the hands, leaving the case shiny).

Thanks for all the kind comments on this project, it was fun to bring it to life (although KeNnY is the real talent) and I love the result. I like the distressed NATO on it, I have enough shiny new reps - love that this watch is extremely under the radar. Just a dirty old watch that looks like it came from a flea-market :)

Edited by Jholmeson

Majwilliams0308

Thanks for the pics! How much did Kenny charge you? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it here.

Have any wrist shots?

_DC_
Thanks for the pics! How much did Kenny charge you? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it here.

Have any wrist shots?

Would suggest sending a PM to KeNnY, it's not for other members to quote on his behalf!

DC

Jholmeson

Have any wrist shots?

You should contact him directly as each project is unique, the quote he gave me was based on a discussion about the project. His services aren't cheap (or fast) but they are incredible value for the work he performs and the bespoke service he provides.

Wrist shot:

v39I8MK.jpg

Robert M

Amazing work by KeNny. I'm waiting the arrival of a PP 5227 that I just ordered and I was giving some serious thought to having some "Vintageness" applied to it. I may just have to PM KeNny.

simonbolivar

Agree with what others have said... very unique and interesting project. Beautiful end result!

_DC_
Amazing work by KeNny. I'm waiting the arrival of a PP 5227 that I just ordered and I was giving some serious thought to having some "Vintageness" applied to it. I may just have to PM KeNny.

Hmm, not convinced by the notion of "vintagizing" a 5227, since the reference was only released in 2013, it's hardly vintage is it lol?!

DC