Sign in to follow this  
pthurst

Here's three of my Homage watches, Alpha, Parnis and KS

pthurst

Hi there everyone,

I keep looking on here for a decent Ploprof replica that isn't going to cost the earth and also a decent Aquaterra but neither are forthcoming so what's a man supposed to do? Save the money and get the roof fixed or the garden project complete? Naah! of course not.

We all know homage watches are a great way of owning some iconic designs at affordable prices so for my next youtube video i decided to take a look at three in particular from my collection. Namely the Alpha explorer one (from Alpha Watches UK (eBay), Parnis Big Pilot (from LMwatches) and a KS cheapo from 6Direct (also an ebay store).

Happy to answer any q's on here on on the channel and I'm especially keen to hear from anyone out there who has got a Bell & Ross style Parnis or of course, a ploprof and Aquaterra :-)

Happy collecting!

Paul

Edited by pthurst

adaptive

Nice pilot, I like it.

pthurst

Nice pilot, I like it.

Yes, its a very good looking watch isn't it! The Parnis offer very good value for money with the Seagull movements being very good in my experience. I've also just asked Lisa from LMwatches to stock the Parnis Bell and Ross style models so keep checking their site for some exceptionally good value and highly desirable homages :-)

Paul

RichardMiami

Why are these called "homage" watches, and not just copies?

WatchDog21

Here's the video for ya

pthurst

Why are these called "homage" watches, and not just copies?

Homage watches may be very similar in appearance to a luxury brand watch but they aren't replicas or copies in the sense that they are not branded as something they are not (ie Rolex, Omega).

Instead, homage watches are either branded by their respective manufacturer (ie Parnis) or they carry no brand at all.

In one sense they could be described as 'copies' but technically they are 'inspired by' or based upon another watch. A 'replica' watch or true 'copy' is manufactured without the brands consent and would be frowned upon by lots of purist collectors (not to mention the watch brands themselves).

pthurst

Here's the video for ya

Thanks very much... I tried for ages to get it to work originally, I'll try posting your link in at the top again.

All the best

Paul

RichardMiami

OK.. so by that logic, this is a huge manufacturer of Homage Watches????

invicta-logo.png

pthurst

invicta-logo.png

Yes I'd say so... Lots of brands release homage style pieces from time to time. Some bear more than a passing resemblance to 'luxury' models while others take fewer design cues. Here's one of the links that got me into homage collecting:

http://blog.dreamchrono.com/2014/03/famous-watches-and-their-homage-alternatives/

RichardMiami

They are all mimicking design - taking advantage of the fact that you can not copyright or otherwise protect any part of the watch itself other than elements of the movements (patents) and the company logo of the manufacturer (trade mark).

The term "homage" always appeared to me to be a bit pretentious... I am not really copying the Rolex Submariner (said 1,000s of watchmakers) I am merely paying homage to it!

That is one reason I like replicas - they don't try to hide the fact that they are simply ripping off the design/logo/etc. and just go and do it....without apology and without trying to call it something polite sounding.

But that's just me.

pthurst

... That is one reason I like replicas - they don't try to hide the fact that they are simply ripping off the design/logo/etc. and just go and do it....without apology and without trying to call it something polite sounding.

But that's just me.

I completely get that and I think that many watch collectors would agree HOWEVER we cannot escape the fact that reps aren't legit and QC is often lacking. Reps also look like the real thing until you look very closely and then those watch collectors (who scoff at homages) well they often carry even more disdain for rep collectors...

Bottom line: buy what you like, rep, gen or homage. Enjoy them, wear them and get involved with other collectors on forums like this one. Being a member on here has cost me a small fortune but I do have a lovely lollection of Gens, Reps and Homages to show for it :-)

Paul

RUSH2112

invicta-logo.png

That's exactly what they are IMO. I agree with you on enjoying the forthrightness of reps as to what they are. In that respect Invicta is the biggest sham out there. This watch retails for $1,200 but is on special for $249.00. BUT WAIT! If you act today you can get it for $99.00 or only 3 payments of $33.00. Fucking scam.