Eiderdaus

Everybody is talking about CGs from Sub 16610.....now another CG question

Eiderdaus

Not only about the CGs...about the case sides as well.

When I was starting creating interest for rep subs I was reading a lot of modifying CGs. There where pretty good tutorials such as this from gioarmani on RWI and tremendous useful hints and tipps from forum members that I trust such as Brightlight (thx Ron for your great patience), KBH, Sconehead and AllergyDoc, many thx to them.

But when I was starting finding what people are talking about when they were writing "you have to modify the CG" I was starting investigating what should the CG look like.

So I took my gen 16610 Sub V-Series from 2009 and bought a 16610 M-Series and 16610LV M-series (both "noobmariner" from Reg (Narikaa)).

I couldn´t find directly what people were talking about but therefore I realised something that is more obvious to me than the "original CG discussion".

Let´s have look

First the Gen

gen_cg.jpg

here the noobmariner black

noob_black_cg-1.jpg

here the noobmariner LV

noob_lv_cg.jpg

I think the flaws are really obvious and now comes my question....how to modify that ? Or....Is the WM9 Vx respecting this ?

comp-1.jpg

Another issue is the case side

I have never seen at a rep that the form of the case side is made correct

Side.jpg

and here overall comparison.

all_side.jpg

When dealers talking about 1:1 case construction can you trust ? :)

cheers, sorry for wasting your time

andygt

I'll check my V1 wm9 and see if its any better although I've modded them as per gioarmani's guide.

Not that it bothers me but didi you notice that the crown position is a lot lower on the reps than the gen too.

Eiderdaus

if you look at the last picture, on the right side, there the mods are made in the tutorials but this is the "look from the front" that will be modified, not from the side

JoeyB
cheers, sorry for wasting your time

Not at all. Instead, Thank you! I think a lot of people aren't quite certain what the shape of the CGs are supposed to be and your comparison pics help explain and display it quite a bit. I'd bet most of us get out the loupe and their watch after reading this!

KBH

Very interesting. My v3 WM9 case looks pretty much spot on to the gen. I'll try to post a picture a little later.

Both my Noobs, LV and LN look like your LV case. I never noticed that before.

Eiderdaus

Just to complete the story....

here is the comparison of "the general CG discussion"

First the gen

cg_gen_front.jpg

then the noob_black

cg_noob_front.jpg

so you can see what is meant be "modifiying" CGs is necessary for authentic look...the CGs are covering the crown too much at it´s ends

same on nnob_LV

cg_lv_front.jpg

and here is my object of noobish attempts to modify a sub following all tipps and tutorials...I am not really good in manual work I found out...

cg_actual_front.jpg

I sanded the inner sides of the CGs...maybe too much...

overview

cg_front_all.jpg

but refering to my topic how will you sand the CGs at it sides as demonstrated in the pictures in my first post.

here is another (for me) annoying thing...the end of the bracelet

gen first

lugholes_gen.jpg

noob_black

lugholes_bl.jpg

and noob_LV

lugholes_lv.jpg

overall_lug.jpg

and last but not least....the divers extensions

diver_extension.jpg

at this point I do not talk about the crown, pearl,cyclop, crystal height, rehaut height and bezel insert, lume.....this would never end

so I get more and more the impression..when someone says the noobmariner is a good deal for the money then I can only understand it in terms of "you get a nice looking watch" for less money but you don´t get a watch that will not be recognised at the wrist.

Now some people might say...you can fool most of the people...that´s right...but of of the people had never a rolex in their own hands. And if you wear a noobmariner in business...hell lot of people pretend to know the differences because they all wearing reps themselves but never owned a gen......so in total you were right.

But if someone starrs at your wrist and asks you: is that a gen ? and he smiles at you..that´s the point where you should be honest. It´s not that embaressing being caught wearing a rep instead of still pretending it´s a gen :D

I still go on buying sub reps and I still look for the "ultimate" rep and everyday I learn more and more about it and oneday I will finish my crappy working experimental sub where I try with my both left hands to amend all modifications :D

Big up for the forum and special thanks to people I honored before (Brightlight, KBH,AllergyDoc and Sconehead)

trailboss99

Yup, crown height is and has always been wrong on all but the WM9

The WM9 has the correct crown height.

The problem is the ETA or 21J MVTs used in all bar the WM9 have the wrong crown position for a 16610.

Col.

Eiderdaus

but this is something I realised when I was ordering a gen crown...it doesn´t fit to the rep tube....so now I will need to install a new tube but have no clue how to remove the old one.

what I need to do:

- relume the dial and the hands (ordered superluminova C7)

- exchange of the crystal (looking for crystal and gasket...most important, no clue how to remove)

- fitting the new pearls into the insert (I sanded the insert already)

- installing new tube

and most important......getting the movement to one piece again...after I lost a screw and I think now it needs to be oiled...

at the end I expect that the watch looks like an old dog, totally damaged und used but I would be happy when I finished it once

trailboss99

The tube needs to be unscrewed using a tube remover or an easy out and the hole re-drilled and tapped to fit a aftermarket tube.

The gen crystal will not fit a rep with the exception of the WM9.

Col.

Eiderdaus

thx col...maybe I should go for a rep crystal with a 2.5x cyclop. this will fit ? You have an idea where I get a tube remover ?Or maybe I leave the tube as it is......

Dr.Verylong

Offshore from Watch Bitz has such a tool. Actually it looks like a small Inbus to me.

Thank you for the great comparison & Gruß nach Berlin :D

trailboss99

Um, VeryLong, we have our own shop here that sells everything WB does with the proceeds going to the forum.

Unless you are gunna use it a lot a torx bit will work most of the time, or an easyout.

Col.

Eiderdaus

sorry col...whats an easyout ?

andygt

Only the V3 WM9 has the correct crown height as it uses a ladies movement, the V1 and V2 are still a gnats cock too low.

Dr.Verylong

Oops, ok, will take note of that, Col.

Eiderdaus

and the WM9 V3 is not available.......

KBH
and the WM9 V3 is not available.......

Sure it is. Just a long waiting list. Or have they totally sold out the production?

Also the v2 had the ladies movement. The v3 uses the 2824-2 movement.

Eiderdaus

so when I was asking BK for WM9 V3 he told me that it nearly not possible to get one. Where else to buy then ?

2824-2 makes even more sense to me since it is a date only movement.

Anyone has an WM9 V3 ? I will ask BK again when he is back from holiday.

@KBH: you found a clark crystal for your chines sub. Can you give me the link ? I am looking for a replacement crystal aswell as you can see :D

KBH

Here's a couple of pix of the v3 case.

DSCN4337.jpg

DSCN4338.jpg

Eiderdaus: The crystal that fit my sub was a Clark Datejust crystal, 30.5mm. I think it was 25-295C and the seller is Nostalgia-2000 on eBay.

andygt

KBH, your crystal looks a bit on the low side to me, unless its the angle of the picture.

Or maybe the insert is sitting a bit high?

IF you dont care please just tell me to fuck off though!

Eiderdaus

Andy, I think this comes from the angle of setting the focus.

@KBH: I was allowing my self taking your pics to demonstrate something

wm9-gen.jpg

I think the form of the side shape of the CG is pretty good made see the green line. The case shape is not done 100% accurate what I was trying to show in red. But it looks 100 times better then the noobs I got

Eiderdaus

Here for you andy to see the crystal heigth

crystalheight_gen.jpg

KBH
KBH, your crystal looks a bit on the low side to me, unless its the angle of the picture.

Or maybe the insert is sitting a bit high?

IF you dont care please just tell me to fuck off though!

I think it's mostly the angle of the picture. It's about the same as every other Sub/GMT that I have.

So feel free to fuck off! :D

Also Eiderdaus, I've learned never to assume that all gen Rolexes are the same. There are way to many documented differences between different years/batches of the same watch. From cases to dials, to inserts, to colors. Rolex is known for it's lack of consistency.

quick edit: Another thing is that yours is the first gen bracelet that I've seen that doesn't have the bracelet stamped with th bracelet number.

Eiderdaus

Yes you were totally right hence I used models from same M-series. There are differences to the F-Series on the gens I believe.

It was just interesting for me to see the obvious diffenrences before I start looking for the "not so obvious" stuff. I guess the lume is bright at the WM9 V3 ?

GC

very interesting comparison on the CG's

I always thought it was just the inner \_/ that people were talking about,

it's nice to see all the different angles and how they compare to the Gen.