Sign in to follow this  
Verve

Late 90's Taiwan sourced Submariner - stripping and repair (pics heavy!)

Verve

Hi All

This thread is kind of a log in the process of stripping this bruised and battered submariner in my possession since Dec'99 and to learn from you all to help identify what is what with this. This is my first ever attempt at stripping a watch, and repair so any tips and directions I would really appreciate be given as newbie. Thank you :)

It was bought from Taiwan by my dad. It was trouble free for first 5 years and then I dropped it on marble floor. Something snapped and in 2006 it was repaired by a watchsmith in one of the Hong Kong plazas. It takes far too long to charge (half hour + shaking!) so now it's decided to strip it all and see if it can be repaired.

Taiwanese seller's story behind it is that the frame and bracelet is genuine, and mechanism is Japanese. It doesn't matter how much, if any, of this story is true, but I'm taking measurements etc so those of you in the know of gens can advise. All I can tell so far is that this is exceptionally well machined for a replica of 90's. Maybe it is made on machines that Taiwanese took from Switzerland during the mass closures of swiss watchmaker factories ..

Below is what I've managed so far, without any watch specific tools in hand yet (in post from China). Some other pics here: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=126662

32290665152_39fa972f01_c.jpg

32441804505_2cee4e8f67_c.jpg

32064466670_19d66d8839_c.jpg

32441813975_defc5c5dc8_c.jpg

31598543764_21c973c008_c.jpg

32290662352_b04de220ab_c.jpg

32063843310_f7b89cfb95_c.jpg

32063845810_31c31b2fe9_c.jpg

32401868976_88c324860e_c.jpg

32063849600_ae2c8a8754_c.jpg

31630170513_1ffdc9b673_c.jpg

Verve

Gave it a bit of a clean after removing the bracelet ... 17yrs of whatnot was on it. Plus some additional pics.

32063853510_0ef0d97440_c.jpg

32063852060_63c360881d_c.jpg

32401881836_7e7b4e7d3c_c.jpg

32441816165_9a195ab7d2_c.jpg

31598575644_b2b057c582_c.jpg

Verve

Bezel off

Again, lots of stuff in there ...

32441817485_ed254ee9c0_c.jpg

I was hoping to find a L shaped spring in there but this is a different setup compared to the new subs in the market. hmm .. which year gen is this a rep of?32063867970_9ae3701d02_c.jpg

A bit of fairy and soft brush later

32290701972_c0ab2aeab6_c.jpg

32441830055_7a77779e5f_c.jpg

32441827155_aedc34c6e2_c.jpg

32441846755_59e7808bf4_c.jpg

32320807071_bb5f4c645c_c.jpg

32401909076_617657d443_c.jpg

32290716032_a518ec8bd4_c.jpg

32290725912_5d9fa714cd_c.jpg

31598615324_da04811e33_c.jpg

That's it for now.

Views/thoughts please.

Foxindebox

Nice pics mate. The case is definitely not gen (easier to list what's right than what's wrong). To answer your question about the bezel construction. It is not a replication of any system Rolex ever used.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside though :D

Verve

Nice pics mate. The case is definitely not gen (easier to list what's right than what's wrong). To answer your question about the bezel construction. It is not a replication of any system Rolex ever used.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside though :D

Cool. Clicks on the bezel are really very smooth, wonder where they took this setup from?

Yeah, I'm eager to open it up as well. Tools may take a while to get to me so will get this rubber ball and try opening it.

dalboy

Sum total of Gen parts = Zero !

And is this is you first proper strip down then the results are impressive thus far .. .

Dal.

Verve

Sum total of Gen parts = Zero !

And is this is you first proper strip down then the results are impressive thus far .. .

Dal.

This is more for knowledge and learning a bit about watches.

Thanks. Yes, first strip down ever. Never changed a battery before!

What are your thoughts on the machining quality, if these pics tell anything?

TRANSPORTER

It's basically a cheapie mate, (I love cheapies for working on ) keep going as you are and youll be fine, just take your time and lots of pictures ok, these will help you when putting it back together.

disregard that it's a "Rolex" rep ok, it bares a resemblence to a submariner, but for your peace of mind when taking the next step in stripping it, it is just a common mechanical watch movement, this will make it easier for you, and if it all goes wrong you can probably fit a dg2813 in there for approx £25, but if you get it working again which I bet you do, it will have a special place as the first watch you fixed.

Any problems just ask we are here to help and most of us have been where you are now, some of us a good few years ago now.

Verve

It's basically a cheapie mate, (I love cheapies for working on ) keep going as you are and youll be fine, just take your time and lots of pictures ok, these will help you when putting it back together.

disregard that it's a "Rolex" rep ok, it bares a resemblence to a submariner, but for your peace of mind when taking the next step in stripping it, it is just a common mechanical watch movement, this will make it easier for you, and if it all goes wrong you can probably fit a dg2813 in there for approx £25, but if you get it working again which I bet you do, it will have a special place as the first watch you fixed.

Any problems just ask we are here to help and most of us have been where you are now, some of us a good few years ago now.

Wholly agree. Years usage has paid it off and now it is just a learning/project watch that even if I end up messing it up completely there won't be any regrets. If I can get it going properly, may start non-repair modding with it (customised dial if one can be had, polishing etc) . Love tinkering and modding things ... think the difficult part will be for hand eye coordination to set for working on such small parts.

and thank you .. yes, will be picking your brains for sure.

Verve

Here's the movement ... as suspected, water damage and resulting oxidisation ... any idea what movement it is?

32438627496_73b8420f78_c.jpg

32100579660_701001bcd4_c.jpg

31635508634_a7ef1f43bf_c.jpg

austinsom

That could be a Swiss ETA. Some close ups of the balance area and shock jewel would be helpful, but looks like it has three cut outs to me.

Verve

That could be a Swiss ETA. Some close ups of the balance area and shock jewel would be helpful, but looks like it has three cut outs to me.

Zooming near balance, there is stamping of 2835-2 or 2836-2. And to left of it the stamping of DM0075 or DM0015.

32327996892_a21fa0a379_c.jpg

31635947654_12948b0efc_c.jpg

31635949594_12369c5912_c.jpg

Genius

looks swiss to me....

But I wouldnt bother trying to fix it if its been water damaged, too much hassle when you can pick up an inexpensive replacement movement on ebay should be a direct swap, and will fit your dial, hands stem and date wheel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Clone-2836-2836-2-Movement-Automatic-perlage-Finish-SWISS-ETA-Replacement-/291969999637?var=&hash=item43fac4a315:m:mPQi4F5dT1gutSsg9jSH_Hg

NCRich

What a fun movement to take apart.

Duzza

I've an ETA clone sitting around doing nothing that would work in this. It also has a Submariner dial and hands attached, so should just drop in. Let me know if its any good to you.

Verve

Movement is functional per se but won't hold charge for long. Maybe it wasn't repaired properly the first time around.

I've an ETA clone sitting around doing nothing that would work in this. It also has a Submariner dial and hands attached, so should just drop in. Let me know if its any good to you.

Thank you for the offer. For now I'm going to strip this and if repairable then do that. This is a learning watch basically.

What do you mean - difficult or 'relatively' easy? I'm wondering if I'm going to find the Day wheel under the dial! Kinda gearing up to go to next stage now .. but small plastic containers are not in hand yet so storage of parts is a bit of an issue.

lrnz
Movement is functional per se but won't hold charge for long. Maybe it wasn't repaired properly the first time around.

Thank you for the offer. For now I'm going to strip this and if repairable then do that. This is a learning watch basically.

What do you mean - difficult or 'relatively' easy? I'm wondering if I'm going to find the Day wheel under the dial! Kinda gearing up to go to next stage now .. but small plastic containers are not in hand yet so storage of parts is a bit of an issue.

Don't think there would be a day wheel under the dial. And I don't think that it's reparable without buying new parts ( water damage sucks) so your best bet is to buy one off ebay and do the swap as the others suggested.

NCRich

Fun like a real movement. With parts that will actually go back together. With a 2813 you just can't get the bastard back together. Well I can't reliably. ETA the parts are so much easier to work with. This is a GREAT opportunity to learn. Ignore the "buy a new movement" comments. They are right if you want to get it working in the easiest way but you won't learn anything. Lots of internet vids on taking these apart. I bought several sectioned containers from harbor freight to hold parts. Cheap as chips and keeps stuff together. Work on a microfiber towel and stuff won't bounce so far when your tweezers slip. Get a real good light. Have fun.

Verve

Curiosity lead to opening up the TT and this one has 2846 movement. This watch has been running flawlessly, and it is older than the sub by a year or two (appx 19yrs of ownership). Opened for first time.

31669147943_3698fe86b4_c.jpg

32102108890_0442bc6ed3_c.jpg

Case cover inner markings ... no idea what that means .. can anyone shed a light?

32329348802_7b063d18b3_m.jpg

Verve

Fun like a real movement. With parts that will actually go back together. With a 2813 you just can't get the bastard back together. Well I can't reliably. ETA the parts are so much easier to work with. This is a GREAT opportunity to learn. Ignore the "buy a new movement" comments. They are right if you want to get it working in the easiest way but you won't learn anything. Lots of internet vids on taking these apart. I bought several sectioned containers from harbor freight to hold parts. Cheap as chips and keeps stuff together. Work on a microfiber towel and stuff won't bounce so far when your tweezers slip. Get a real good light. Have fun.

Thanks NCRich. Building up confidence .. lol

Light, loupe and containers to source now ..

Verve

Pulled the crown out and the pins has a lot of play in it .... not sure if this part was damaged from the fall and subsequently repaired. Clicked it back in and re-engaged

Suspect 1:

32103034250_9dc2140744_c.jpg

Watch has been running for 10 minutes now against the stopwatch on the phone .. seems to match so far (if my eyes are not playing up too much). Was running slower before and getting stuck every now and then.

Edit - 2 seconds slower after 20 minutes!

Verve

Took the crown out again and it won't click back in! So ended up stripping the whole watch ... No loupe but doubt will be able to put it all back together without one. Fingers crossed all pieces are there :unsure2:

Overall, stripping the movement was easy (for me) - holding an LED torch in left hand was a little tricky though as ceiling lights were useless. Putting it back together I'm kinda dreading now that I didn't take any pictures. Will be searching for disassembly and reassembly videos/write-ups.

Oxidisation seems to be just on the outer surface as gears etc seem to be clean. Will have a better idea when loupe arrives.

32335133852_531ceb2779_z.jpg

32335147442_ba2341e2cd_z.jpg

Date wheel was glued on the original! Need to figure how to put this one back

32335144422_00a9f4a87c_z.jpg

Next step to disassemble the barrel, and then start hand cleaning. Need to read up on the lighter fluid and isopropyl cleaning, and source the right lubricant as well. No clue which parts need to be lubricated. Mary sent this 701 liquid, not sure if this is a lubricant (no english on the packaging).

Andylaw1919

Very interesting... Now i'm interested to see whats inside my fathers rep from 2001

Nikosaldente

Wow!

Interesting work so far!

Thank's for sharing!

Keep us posted!

edwinowl

http://www.tztoolshop.com/page30.html

If you can follow that bro there's the service schedule.