Sign in to follow this  
Dendo

Watch timing machine for $10

Dendo

I hope this is of interest - below is the explanation in English of how to use a Japanese freeware package that lets you adjust rate and beat errors on movements. If you have an old hifi amplifier lying around and a PC, all you need is a pick-up microphone and some leads.

BIBURO is freeware created by Naoki Morishita (Wolman) that you can directly unload from this web page. BIBURO is designed to assist watch regulation. Originally written in Japanese, there is not really any simple instructions in English so I put this together to help RWGers to use the program.

BeaterrorbadRateslow.jpg

This Figure shows the screen capture from Windows XP of a movement with a very poor beat error that is losing 24 seconds a day. Biburo works with most Windows versions (all recent versions) but with MACs it needs special Windows conversion software (Parallels, VMware Fusion, Virtualbox).

REQUIREMENTS:

• PC with audio input.

• Operating system Windows XP (or higher) or Mac with parallels or equivalent.

• Piezoelectric Microphone or guitar pickup (KORG MIC $10).

• Preamplifier or amplifier with ability to control bass and treble.

IMG_0826.jpg

Figure above shows the KORG pick-up ($10) with rubber contact disk removed and the figure below is a cheap amplifier ($50). Note the amplifier settings - Treble UP, Bass DOWN and operating volume setting is about THREE QUARTERS OF MAX. This gives a good S/N ratio.

IMG_0828.jpg

BIBURO does not require installation. It consists of a single exe file that from the initiation generates an INI file that stores the last parameters used, i.e. noise level, level signal, time base,… etc. This is important to know because you may have to erase this INI file if things are totally wonky, only by erasing this file will you get back to the original configuration.

GETTING STARTED

- Start up the Biburo software.

- Set your amplifier volume to zero, with the treble pushed all the way up and bass all the way down. Plug the output of the amplifier into the microphone jack of your PC and turn the mic input all the way up in your audio software settings.

- Press the play button if it is not already running.

- Set the option/lift angle to the correct lift angle for the movement, most modern ones are 52 degrees which is the default. Here is a list of movements and their lift angles.. (The 7780 is 52 and the 2836 is 53 degrees).

- It is important to obtain a good signal to noise ratio. Observe the following graph. To get an estimate of the ‘noise’ turn down the volume – then activate from the Calibration menu the option ‘Noise’ (Nioise sic) which will allow you to adjust the blue line to position the noise level. To Adjust the Signal level - use the vertical sliding control that appears next to the graph of Signal amplitude to fit the green line above the basic noise line as shown in the picture below (part of the graph under the blue line appears as continuous red).

IMG_0839-1.jpg

AUTO BUTTON: This permits manual or automatic detection of the oscillations of the movement in beats per second or beats per hour (toggle on this to change it). If the word AUTO does not appear, you can select this parameter by clicking on it.

BPH or BPS: Shows rotations in Beats per Hour (BPH) or Beats Per Second (BPS). For example, 21600 BPH are equivalent to 6 BPS and e.g. 28,800 BPH (8 BPS). To toggle between BPH and BPS just click on it.

BEAT ERROR: This gives a numerical value expressing the difference in milliseconds between the left and right turns of the balance wheel, i.e. the movement’s isochronism.

Figure6RateandBeatErroradjustments.jpg

The image above shows the levers to adjust rate and isochronism. Rate (advance or delay) is on most movements adjusted with the two-stud lever, the regulator lever. The other lever is the stud carrier and typically has only one stud – this is the lever that adjusts the beat rate or isochronisms. In the graph below a watch rotation is shown to illustrate the handling of the Beat Error. The rate angle in the example below is initially fast (a rising line) and then slow (descending line) but in both cases the Beat Error is unacceptable because there is no continuous line of dots, rather two parallel lines of dots indicating different amplitudes for the tic and the toc. It is best to use a short duration capture (20 seconds) to zoom see the undulations.

IMG_0881.jpg

If the movement is properly adjusted, the slope of the graph appears as a horizontal line (see graph below of a movement with a good beat error and rate), if fast, the slope is ascending and if slow, the slope is descending.

GoodbeatAccuraterate.jpg

AMPLITUDE: this is the numerical value that indicates the maximum angle the balance wheel turns, and ranges from 180º to 315º. It should not be above 315º as ricochets may damage the hairspring. It does vary during the day due to tension in the gears, main spring and the gravitational position of the watch (crown up, crown down, face up etc). A safe average amplitude after 24 hours of running should be between 220º and 270º. A poor amplitude may indicate a deficiency, frequently a lack of lubrication or dirt in the mechanism, which usually translates into a fast running movement. An amplitude of 220º has the potential to compensate sufficiently for defects in balance of the balance wheel. This value is not accurately measured by BIBURO.

FINE ADJUSTMENT: This is seen between the numerical indicator that shows the Amplitude and the Phase angle. It appears on its own if you use the Menu “Options” - “Calibration” - “Fine adjustment”. With this adjustment you can change the slope of the line to calibrate Biburo to an extremely accurate movement. When you do this you change the ‘Hosei’ setting in the .INI file.

PHASE ANGLE (RATE): If you click on this a numerical value shows you if the movement is fast or slow in Seconds Per Day, the number is illuminated in yellow or in green for the average value. That is, yellow shows the instantaneous value. This value is very precise and one needs to wait sufficient time (1 to 3 minutes) to obtain an exact average value. Thus you should increase the analysis to values over 120 seconds.

HORIZONTAL GRAPH LINES: activated via the small circle • in the upper left corner.

ANALOGUE or PULSE MODE: This is the first button in the vertical plane. Normally one works in Analogue mode (Sinusoid wave) to measure the delay and the Beat Error, i.e. the Amplitude of the balance wheel. If the button is pressed, it changes the image of the button to a digital pulse and the value of the Amplitude in Degrees will be shown.

PEAK MODE: Normally this button will be deactivated. When activated it shows a single black descending line to indicate the beat frequency graphically below the amplitude line.

TIME OF ANALYSIS: allows you to analyze the machinery from 10 seconds to 2 minutes (120 seconds). The value of the Beat Error and the phase angle then reflect the average value during the selected time.

ZOOM: Allows a better visualization of the dispersion in the Beat Error.

AUTO BUTTON: This permits manual or automatic detection of the oscillations of the movement. Click on the word AUTO to toggle it off or on. If the word AUTO does not appear (Manual mode), you can select the RATE with the up and down arrow.

BPH or BPS: Shows rotations in Beats per Hour (BPH) or Beats Per Second (BPS). For example, 21600 BPH are equivalent to 6 BPS. Normally rotations are expressed in BPH. Older movements were 18,000 rotations per hour (BPH), or 5 BPS and modern faster movements are 28,800 BPH (8 BPS).

PLAY: reinitiates the line drawing.

STOP: pauses the drawing of the graph.

RECORD: pressing this button, BIBURO captures the points generated in the graph during the selected time period. Files capture:

• the scale (time and level of Zoom).

• Numerical Values: The Date and Hour, Beat Error, Amplitude, Phase angle.

To modify the image file (BMP or JPEG) and the parameters registered, go to the upper menu: “Options” - “Recording”.

EXPLANATION OF THE Upper Menu

FILE: click here to exit the program.

• Menu View: to select the time scale from 1 Second to 900 seconds.

• Menu OPTION is the most important part of the upper menu.

IMG_0895.jpgIMG_0896.jpg

• Center start: Initiates the graph in the center.

• Graphical Color: you can change the color of graph lines.

• Threshold (Signal) level: to keep the existing S/N values between program sessions.

• Resolution: You can choose between Gain and Loss that you can see when in Zoom mode. Default is Loss Resolution.

• Lift Angle: This value by default is 52º. It is a parameter that appears in the technical documentation of each movement. For example the machinery Unitas 6497 has an angle of 44º and Seikos 6105 has a value of 54.5º, whereas for Valjoux 7750 it is 52º and for a 2836 it is 53º. 52º is the common values in modern movements. Check (http://pczw.uhren-mi...loads/gamma.pdf) for movement values.

• Recording: allows choice of information stored in the graphical file generated: Numerical values (Date, Hour, Beat Error, Amplitude and Phase angle), Scale used and Zoom value, the actual graph and finally the choice of BMP or JPG images.

• Calibration: with this menu you can make three calibrations including defining the basic noise level.

• Digital Mode (Pulses).

• Volume: if you have Windows XP, you can access the “Gain control of Loudspeakers” or the “Control of Recording”.

TIPS

CLEANER SIGNALS may be obtained by removing the rubber on the KORG pick-up and clipping the microphone to the crystal, and/or by ensuring the mic touches the crown. Attaching a clip to the crown that also attaches to the mic may help also.

SAFETY – do not overload the microphone input on the PC. Do not use a microphone with a magnet – if in doubt, test it with a compass first.

MEASUREMENT CONDITIONS:

1) Measurement should be done within 10~60 minutes after fully wound up.

2) Measurement position: (1) Dial up (2) 9 o'clock up (3) 6 o'clock up.

3) Minimum measurement Time: 20 seconds.

4) Stabilizing Time: Leave the watch for at least 20 seconds to stabilize after you change its measurement position.

MODIFYING THE HOSEI VALUE – Use a highly reliable watch as a guide. If the line of dots slopes down or up and clearly it should not, then modify the fine adjustment (hosei) to get a flat horizontal line of dots for this accurate watch. This also causes the SPD value to indicate a more realistic value of about 2-4 sec/day. Fine adjusting Biburo to get a flat line for an accurate watch (+/- 5 spd) allows you to use the same settings to adjust other watches to this "standard".

UPDATE FROM ZELLER

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=13156

Baldrick

You're altogether far too clever for a Scotsman Dan, good article ;)

digger2

Great post!

Do you know if it is possible to run the SW in compability mode on Vista 32 or Windows 7 64? I guess Windows 7 is out of question.

I have kept a Vista 32 for old and tricky SW but it was many years since I had a XP installation.

KeNnY

WOW sticky ? ;)

digger2
Great post!

Do you know if it is possible to run the SW in compability mode on Vista 32 or Windows 7 64? I guess Windows 7 is out of question.

I have kept a Vista 32 for old and tricky SW but it was many years since I had a XP installation.

Reason for asking dispite your post says "(all recent versions) " is that I found this on a page in japaneese translated with google (http://tokeiyade.michikusa.jp/download/)

"· not work Windows7 Itadai has also been reported. Please."

Mik

Brilliant Dendo.

Thank you for sharing.

Would a regular Hi-Fi (mini, component, etc) do the trick?

Andei3000

Thanks Dendo!

For all owning an iPhone - there's an alternative to this called "Kello"

Kello description

Dendo
Great post!

Reason for asking dispite your post says "(all recent versions) " is that I found this on a page in japaneese translated with google (http://tokeiyade.michikusa.jp/download/)

I got it to work on Vista. But the best thing to do is to just download and try it - it costs you nothing.

Dendo
Brilliant Dendo.

Thank you for sharing.

Would a regular Hi-Fi (mini, component, etc) do the trick?

Yes - anything that can amplify the signal and max the treble, reduce the bass.

Be careful not to overload the mic input on the laptop or PC though.

digger2
Great post!

I got it to work on Vista. But the best thing to do is to just download and try it - it costs you nothing.

I'm home now so I tested on Win 7 64 and the sw seems to work, have ordered a "Acoustic Guitar Preamp Amplifier EQ 7545R+Pickup 4Band" for USD 12 on Ebay, will be interesting to test this, I have Kello for Ipad but that is just a very basic app compared to this.

Dendo
Great post!

I'm home now so I tested on Win 7 64 and the sw seems to work, have ordered a "Acoustic Guitar Preamp Amplifier EQ 7545R+Pickup 4Band" for USD 12 on Ebay, will be interesting to test this, I have Kello for Ipad but that is just a very basic app compared to this.

Many people cut down piezo-electric flat microphones but frankly the Korg works well and it is easy to clip on and off. I would be interested to hear about your experience - best of luck!

JohnG

Fucking awesome, bookmarking this page, awesome thread man!!!!!!

scope

Wow, Thanks for the scoop. I gotta try this!

Dendo

Thanks guys - hope it is helpful.

Tried the iphone app - bit disappointed to say the least!!!

Aren

Dendo, I have no doubt this is a great post.

I will leave the performance of these tests for others. :johng:

Thanks for sharing!

pollux1

This should be a sticky mate, great post!

greg_r

Pinned - great thread!

Dendo
Pinned - great thread!

Thanks Greg!

twall

I spent fucking forever using the search feature on WUS last month trying to find this thread.......:D

Iamthetrent

Would this work with windows 10, or are there better methods now?

Dendo

Not sure - using an acetimer now - $150 but works a treat and very similar in operation - the manual is crap though so the explanation in this thread is still useful

plankton

I have read it's not all that accurate but I could be wrong. Acetimer timograph is the way I went and I do enjoy it.

Dendo

The Acetimer is great but you would think they would have got some native English speaker to write the manual - it is uninformative and weird to say the least.