Sign in to follow this  
GMTmasterypastery

Please Check it Out Before I Buy

GMTmasterypastery

Hello RWG.

Newbie here just wondering whether to take a punt on this;

http://www.dhgate.co.../185336426.html

Just to test the waters as a newbie (plus there's something decidedly badass about using a 'Patek' as a beater!). Apparently this Is what I'd be getting. For about £62 free shipping why not? (about 5 posts down in 'customer reviews')

You guys tell me - Is it a steaming pile? Scam overpriced etc? Cheers!

Edited by GMTmasterypastery

splke

pays your money and takes your chances with the gate pal

it will no way be a AAAAAAAAAA ++++++++ swiss mvmt as close to gen as poss !

but it may work for a while and may scratch an itch or lead you to want a more expensive rep.

best thing about the gate is they hold the funds until you get the watch if you are really not happy they mediate with the seller to get some sort of resolution.

oh and by the way welcome to our forum

RussP

His feedback appears credible, but who knows the buyers' knowledge of the quality of his product?

Picture of the rear cannot be magnified enough to tell the movement.

GMTmasterypastery

Sounds agreeable so far. Of course I've researched the tasty Miyota ones. Being in the UK it's sourcing one without the possibility of customs trouble etc, fair bit of coin and all.. but yeah I'm working towards it. ;) Thanks for the valuable info.

GMTmasterypastery

His feedback appears credible, but who knows the buyers' knowledge of the quality of his product?

Picture of the rear cannot be magnified enough to tell the movement.

Yeah^ It can if you save it, no doubt it's to blurr the logo. Think it's a decorated st16 Seagull...I'd sooner they put a plain back over it but ah well.

elp

You'll be getting what you pay for ...... but as you say, it's to test the waters.

greg_r

Sounds agreeable so far. Of course I've researched the tasty Miyota ones. Being in the UK it's sourcing one without the possibility of customs trouble etc, fair bit of coin and all.. but yeah I'm working towards it. ;) Thanks for the valuable info.

UK customs issues are fairly minimal - we're one of the easier countries for importing reps, so I wouldn't worry unduly.

The watch you linked to isn't going to be great - there are several grades of these cheapie 21J Pateks. The slightly higher-grade versions aren't too bad, but the one you linked is going to be one of the low-end models and they're pretty basic. They look fairly okay at a distance (i.e. on the wrist), but tend to feel pretty cheap and nasty.

GMTmasterypastery

I'll be happy if it keeps time and doesn't fall apart! I'll let you know how I go on I'll order one on Friday (payday). Just checking if the seller was a known scam artist. Seems ok for a solid SS affair where the plating won't wear through (what you'd get retail for similar money) plus bonus it's automatic! Thanks again.

James.

If youre planning on buying on friday id recommend using the few days between now and then to familiarize yourself with the noob i tro read threads and ha e a gander at what some of the trusted dealers offer. You may be surprised at what you find, and may want to outlay a bit more for a longer lasting, better quality watch.

Potato, potatoe.

Left Coast Guy

plus there's something decidedly badass about using a 'Patek' as a beater!

I'm not sure how "badass" it is when it's worst quality fake you can buy.....really its not that much more to buy a decent version, why waste your money on the cheapy? Makes no sense to me...

Jimuc

Save some extra cash and go to one of our TD or keep reviewing M2M for your next purchase.

The difference price will be marginal in the long run.

GMTmasterypastery

Sorry what is meant by 'M2M'? I don't think all the commenters are being overly fair to the noob - It's my entry I'm going to absolutely trash this thing. I have quite a gen collection but still can't get my head around a £30k SS three hand date complication watch. I know it's a Patek, desireable and quite beautiful model, geneva seal yadda yaddo but still. You could get a pre-owned minty 18k Rolex sports, 2 even, a tasty Miyota Nautilus and several reasonably attractive hookers with the change. For a month or two. What I'm trying to say is a premium Patek rep isn't off my list because of this thing.. just seemed like a deal.

Just an update; A friend of mine ordered himself a cheapy this week so I'll see what it's like soon enough. Apparently the seller is a fast shipper. All is not lost for me I may skip it if it's a POS and seek advice on a nicer one soon.

Edited by GMTmasterypastery

anfalas

M2M = member to member sales but you need to get your post count up first to unlock it.

For what it's worth Jason007 is definitely one of the better sellers on the gate, I've had a couple of half decent beaters from him which are still going strong from 2 years ago. So yeah, for that kinda $ worth a punt, probably.....................possibly.......................maybe??!!

No way it will be anywhere close to what you can get from our trusted dealers though ;)

NCRich

Jason007 is great for cheapies that you plan on playing with. I bought 6 from him for under $200 shipped total. I learned how to work on watches thanks to those.

They really were far better than I ever thought they would be. I was satisfied.

cEbI2zA.jpg

NCRich

I've still got pieces of them in different watches. :lol:

GMTmasterypastery

Oh thanks. That's cool. I'm also interested in AP reps - Another brand whose pricetag I find difficulty in justifying, with some very close reps I have seen (at least to me currently). So my post count should increase as I browse what's available.

Left Coast Guy

Sorry what is meant by 'M2M'? I don't think all the commenters are being overly fair to the noob - It's my entry I'm going to absolutely trash this thing. I have quite a gen collection but still can't get my head around a £30k SS three hand date complication watch. I know it's a Patek, desireable and quite beautiful model, geneva seal yadda yaddo but still. You could get a pre-owned minty 18k Rolex sports, 2 even, a tasty Miyota Nautilus and several reasonably attractive hookers with the change. For a month or two. What I'm trying to say is a premium Patek rep isn't off my list because of this thing.. just seemed like a deal.

Just an update; A friend of mine ordered himself a cheapy this week so I'll see what it's like soon enough. Apparently the seller is a fast shipper. All is not lost for me I may skip it if it's a POS and seek advice on a nicer one soon.

Well if you do indeed have "quite a gen collection" you surely don't need to think twice about spending £100 more to buy a rep that's not a piece of shit. Maybe put your money where your mouth is and prove you're a big boy.

GMTmasterypastery

Jason007 is great for cheapies that you plan on playing with. I bought 6 from him for under $200 shipped total. I learned how to work on watches thanks to those.

They really were far better than I ever thought they would be. I was satisfied.

cEbI2zA.jpg

The Explorer I would definitely fool me. At least on the wrist. Might be interesting to get a toolkit for tinkering. For now I'm only confident with bracelet changes, links and batteries. Nothing mechanical. :]

GMTmasterypastery

Look

Well if you do indeed have "quite a gen collection" you surely don't need to think twice about spending £100 more to buy a rep that's not a piece of shit. Maybe put your money where your mouth is and prove you're a big boy.

I might. I'm a noob and £100 is £100. For all I knew 'Jason007' could have been some bent Chinese triad fellow.

NCRich

Air King is spot on. Besides no one knows what it is.

Left Coast Guy

Look

I might. I'm a noob and £100 is £100. For all I knew 'Jason007' could have been some bent Chinese triad fellow.

Yeah, don't buy from that guy......buy from a TD here. You get good stuff and compared to gen its, as your people say, cheap as chips!

GMTmasterypastery

Can't beat solid SS construction for that price. Might have to look into the EXPI since I won't be tinkering for now. Call them cheapies all you want but they're better than the plated crap people down the pub knock out for similar money.

anfalas

Yeah I'd have picked out the Air King from those Rich, does look good :)

GMTmasterypastery

+1 The bezel change made a big difference.

NCRich

I buy 95% of my stuff from Marvellous Replica. But every once in a while I'll roll the dice with Ali/DhGate. Best of the lot were the Air King, the Tudor BB, and the fifty fathoms. Worse comes to worse you can always sell them for what you paid. Fifty fathoms was DOA but I just replaced the movement.