Hesekiel

Patina on PAM 6152 dial and hands

Hesekiel

Howdy!

I'd love to order a PAM 6154 from Davidson, but before I do I'd like to know if there's somebody who could give the dial a vintage treatment, as some of you on the forum have done here. I don't think I have the skills to remove the movement, hands, and dial, and put everything back together, so either I order a complete watch already done from a trusted seller, or I would have to find somebody who would be able and willing to perform the patina treatment after I receive the watch from Davidson.

Who can point me in the right direction?

Related, I have another question. I'm not sure if I should order the watch with Radomir Panarai, Luminor Panarai, or Marina Militare on the dial.

Thanks!

mysterio

Not sure if anyone does that on here apart from personal builds, like kilowattore who has built quite a few excellent vintage PAMs. Hopefully some of them can chime in. There would be a lot more possibility on HomageForum where they are dedicated to vintage builds.

Also based on my limited knowledge of vintages, the 6154 Egiziano Picollo, should have a Radiomir Panerai engraving.

Edited by mysterio

kilowattore

A vintage Panerai build is not an easy ride, especially if you're after a 6154.

Davidsen case set unfortunately isn't great at all, it has very wrong shape squared shoulders of midcase which make it very difficult to obtain a decent shape through reshaping process.

The best case atm is River's, maybe he can do a complete watch for you, or ask some of the modders around to build a watch from scratch (which can be a bit more expensive).

As mysterio said dial for a 6154 should have RP engravings, there is only one exception that I know.

I say you're better off having a new dial painted for you instead of modding River's or Davidsen's. Once again it will be a little more expensive but the result will be incomparable.

mellons

reshaped river or athaya dial is best way- athaya slightly better as crown tube is screw-in

keep you eyes peeled for southy or bigwaved gaposis 6154 dials- superb

mysterio

There you go, a reply from kilo and a reply from a HomageForum moderator. ;)

Hesekiel

Thanks!

First, I meant to say 6152, as I like the CG. No idea why I typed 6154.

But the way I understand it, the case would be the same anyway, save for the provisions to mount the CG.

I found River's Web site, saw that he lists two Modders 6152 cases: one with a 2-piece dial, the other one with a 3-piece dial. Not sure which one to order.

I also looked up Athaya's site, but it may not be the right one as there are no parts listed.

I try to learn at an accelerated pace.

kilowattore

Well then, if 6152/1 CG is the build you plan, you have a few choices:

1. Buy a full case set from Nightwatch (vintagewatchparts.co.uk) - more expensive option

2. Buy a jackson mm68 case, disassemble it, shape it, grind it, sand it, drill it, polish it, install a few new parts - more difficult but a little cheaper

3. Buy a jackson mm68 case and accept a lot of compromises - cheapest but less accurate option.

Hesekiel

I've contacted Gordon from Nightwatch and building an entire watch for me, or myself, isn't as easy as I thought.

Let me see if I have a basic grasp what's needed.

What I probably should get first is a movement that would work. Based on River's Website, that would be (in the order of desirability):

1. Angelus 240
  2. Cortebert 616/622/624
  3. Molinja 3601/2
  4. Unitas 6497

I do not have the budget for a genuine Rolex 618 movement, and since my watch will have a solid case back, I don't see the need for one either.

These movements seem to be readily available at some unnamed auction site for a few hundred bucks (and up).

Once I have the movement, I can order the complete case set with the correct movement holder. But how do I know if I need a case for a 2-piece or a 3-piece dial without having a dial, and how can I know what dial I need to order? I'm after a very basic, patinated dial and matching hands:

Fake6152.jpg

When I have all the parts needed, I'll have to find somebody to assemble everything.

Did I get this about right?

Edited by Hesekiel

Hesekiel

I've come in peace . . . and and need of a bit of help. I have spent hours, many hours, trying to learn about the 6152, trying to find suppliers of cases and dials. I'm still stumbling in the dark.

So let me start over.

I understand that the Davidsen case is a poor choice based on the shape. Got it. The River's case is supposed to be the best, but is the case vintagewatchparts in the United Kingdom supplies the River's case, just further improved, i.e., by having bigger CG screws, etc.?

If not, is there a link to see what River has to offer? I see him as a trusted seller, but I have not been able to find anything to buy. Initially I thought River and vintagewatchparts are the same, but I don't think that's the case.

How could I get in contact with a dial painter? I can't find any contact information to any of the guys mentioned on this site.

I understand that if I hang around for a year or two, I would probably know a lot more, but I'm itching to get things done, and the 6152 is on top of my list. Sure, I could order a ready done watch from one of the trusted sellers, but I'm totally into patina, not only when it comes to watches, so I'd like to pursue the 6152 build first.

On a related topic, a few weeks ago I contacted Davidson, initially to buy a 6152 from him, until I learned that this would be a poor choice. I then figured I buy a 390, which I like very much, until I learned that according the ALE's evaluation his version is inferior to the other makers'. I tried to figure out why that's the case, but were unable to do so. I'd like to buy a watch from Davidson to show that I'm serious, especially in regard to future purchases, but I can't figure out which one to pick. I read all about kilowattore's watches, and he has a few DSN models in there, primarily pre-V. I'm just not sure I like those. I like simple, just hour and minute hands, hand wind . . . so a bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Hesekiel

Bigwaved

I paint dials. Message me. I see some familiar faces in this thread. They can vouch for my work.

BadPickle

I paint dials. Message me. I see some familiar faces in this thread. They can vouch for my work.

:thumbsup: it is rather good "vouched"

sogeha

Bigwaved dials a stunning and he has a very good reputation on HF. I've just been in touch about buy from him myself.

sogeha

I'm not really illiterate BTW, My iPad is playing up and I can't edit either

kiko1314

Bigwaved dials are the best. I recently got a 6154 dial from him and it is stunning.

Send a picture of the gen dial you want to replicate and let him do the magic.