Sign in to follow this  
umirza85

Help with Gen PAM111

dilip

If you're near HK you should try it out, it's a cool watch. But the reps are very nice as well.

deju

Photos are of a gen movement, buy the seller not the watch. Talk to them ask for other photos get a feel for the deal.

I've bought off Chrono24, I spoke with about 6 dealers before I found one I felt comfortable with

GenTLe

Can't get why buying a gen one when the rep is 1:1...

greg_r

Not a review. Moved to General Discussion.

umirza85

If you're near HK you should try it out, it's a cool watch. But the reps are very nice as well.

Photos are of a gen movement, buy the seller not the watch. Talk to them ask for other photos get a feel for the deal.

I've bought off Chrono24, I spoke with about 6 dealers before I found one I felt comfortable with

Thanks guys. Im not near HK at all unfortunately and have been looking for 111's on C24 for a few weeks now and this one stuck out quite a bit.

Good suggestion I will email them for some more photos, appreciate the info around the movement. I am a little nervous around ordering from C24 as these reps are now so good.

because I can......

Not a review. Moved to General Discussion.

Sorry..thanks.

umirza85

Also looking on Chrono24 looks like the PAM510 is around the same price as a 111...correct me if im wrong but the major difference is the 510 has the P.5000 in house movement (and 8 days stamp).

So for the same price wouldnt the in-house be a better call? I'm definitely a bit stumped here.

Assume the downside is maintenance. The 111 is a proven workhorse....where as the 510 would probably need a specialzed watchmaker to adjust/maintain.

Edited by umirza85

epalanb
Also looking on Chrono24 looks like the PAM510 is around the same price as a 111...correct me if im wrong but the major difference is the 510 has the P.5000 in house movement (and 8 days stamp).

So for the same price wouldnt the in-house be a better call? I'm definitely a bit stumped here.

Assume the downside is maintenance. The 111 is a proven workhorse....where as the 510 would probably need a specialzed watchmaker to adjust/maintain.

The 510 replaces the 111. In the past Panerai used other manufacturers movements. In the case of the Pam it was Eta 6497. Panerai has begun to make their own movements. The Pam 510 uses panerai's own in house movement. Everything else is the same.

At some point in the future it will become difficult to buy a new Gen Pam 111 as i believe they stopped making them

umirza85

The 510 replaces the 111. In the past Panerai used other manufacturers movements. In the case of the Pam it was Eta 6497. Panerai has begun to make their own movements. The Pam 510 uses panerai's own in house movement. Everything else is the same.

At some point in the future it will become difficult to buy a new Gen Pam 111 as i believe they stopped making them

Thanks i was sort of leaning towards the 111 as it does seem difficult to find a good deal on a relatively new one right now along with the servicing. Im comfortable sending the 6497 movement locally in case it needs a service.

The ad i linked to above on C24 seems a little odd though I'm not sure why, this seller seems to have a few unworn new PAMs. I'd just be worried that it would be one of those super russian fakes?

deju

It's not 1:1.... the question is, is it worth the extra £3,500 for those little differences

deju

Biggest problem is that they can show pictures of a gen and still send a rep, this is why you need to be comfortable with the seller.

Personally I tend to stay within Europe when buying, I've seen several up for grabs in The Far East but I'm more comfortable doing business in countries that I have a rough handle on standard of business practices.

umirza85

Biggest problem is that they can show pictures of a gen and still send a rep, this is why you need to be comfortable with the seller.

Personally I tend to stay within Europe when buying, I've seen several up for grabs in The Far East but I'm more comfortable doing business in countries that I have a rough handle on standard of business practices.

Thanks @deju I think I'll take your advice on this one then. maybe it is too good to be true.... I travel quite a bit and wasnt able to find a new 111 in many european cities so maybe i'll listen to my gut on this one.

Bidle

Im thinking of going with the following then: https://www.chrono24...--id5430163.htm

is this an apx fair price for a 111? Comes with box, papers, rubber, and unused leather strap.

Pretty expensive if you ask me,.....

peterpl

Dont bother with a PAM111. Spend your money on a different gen and just get the rep 111

umirza85

Im thinking of going with the following then: https://www.chrono24...--id5430163.htm

is this an apx fair price for a 111? Comes with box, papers, rubber, and unused leather strap.

Pretty expensive if you ask me,.....

Yeah i thought so also, but its a 2015, unworn original leather strap, box and papers all mint condition. It seems to be the cheapest one in this condition w/ box and papers.

ShovelnTC

I know that everyone likes to save money but when you are spending this kind of coin then you really are buying luxury so it has always been my opinion that if you really need to scrimp on price then you probably can't afford to buy.

For me I will only buy Luxury Gens from the AD or maybe a close personal freind where I know the history of the piece.

Adding to the affordability argument can you afford to lose that kind of money if you do end up with a rep or Frankin?

porschespeedster

more importantly, buy a gen that isn't repped extremely extremely well.

i.e., not a panerai

muttsta

I would echo what has been said above. I strongly also considered buying a genuine PAM 111, but in the end I ended up buying something else because the rep of the PAM 111 is so good. I ended up getting a great deal on a genuine Franck Muller Crazy Hours off Chrono24

umirza85

I know that everyone likes to save money but when you are spending this kind of coin then you really are buying luxury so it has always been my opinion that if you really need to scrimp on price then you probably can't afford to buy.

For me I will only buy Luxury Gens from the AD or maybe a close personal freind where I know the history of the piece.

Adding to the affordability argument can you afford to lose that kind of money if you do end up with a rep or Frankin?

Im not too worried about the price, i'm not buying on credit and lets say I did take a hit with a frankin I could accept it. I've just always been cautious with money so am trying to do my due diligence before purchasing. I mean i could go to an AD and purchase the "updated" version of the 111 (PAM510) but the 8 days on the face really bothers me.

more importantly, buy a gen that isn't repped extremely extremely well.

i.e., not a panerai

I would echo what has been said above. I strongly also considered buying a genuine PAM 111, but in the end I ended up buying something else because the rep of the PAM 111 is so good. I ended up getting a great deal on a genuine Franck Muller Crazy Hours off Chrono24

I've had quite a few reps over the years and the 111 is the one that I've always come back to, and it's never been rotated out of my collection. The PAM 610 Radiomir is a close second but there's just something about the 111 I've always loved and I thought it would be a great choice for a first gen PAM. I realize that it is repped very well but I really enjoy the watch and can't see myself being tired of it, hence the reason I picked it. As mentioned my other options were either the 510, or 610.

Also I received some extra pictures of the 111 would someone be able to confirm whether its gen? http://imgur.com/a/VK8WA

Edited by umirza85

deju

Cogs look Swiss Jewels look correct color, bridge bevel polish and lower plate perilage.

I'd prefer a better look at the logo, even the latest noob's fuck up the logo at the I

umirza85

Cogs look Swiss Jewels look correct color, bridge bevel polish and lower plate perilage.

I'd prefer a better look at the logo, even the latest noob's fuck up the logo at the I

Thanks for taking a look, Do you mean the logo engraved on the movement?

deju

Yes on the movement!

File%2010-04-2017%2C%2017%2019%2030.jpeg?dl=0

That's gen vs V4 noob

Notice the E looks too big and the I too short and lower. The fake almost looks like ever letter was done seperately.

umirza85

Yes on the movement!

That's gen vs V4 noob

Notice the E looks too big and the I too short and lower. The fake almost looks like ever letter was done seperately.

Oh wow thats so noticeable, i have a noob v3 and it looks more like the gen weirdly?....though i suppose it isn't engraved on.

My other option which worked out to around the same price is this one https://www.bernardw...m/watch/PAN1169 They are also on chrono24 so i'd obviously purchase through there. They provide much better quality pictures on their website. But on this one the watch number only has an "O" with a big space after it which i find weird...

but the other one seems to have things spaced closer together?...they are bot 2015 watches supposedly (upon further review it seems O is a 2012 year but their website states "O series, papers dated May 2015" ...im not sure what this means is this a red flag to have the official papers showing 2015?).

Edited by umirza85

deju

V3 had ok E's but the I was still too shor and looked slightly low. The V4 engraving isn't great imho but that could be a batch thing, I had a Pam 111 v3 an HFac 177 and a Marlin p series 177 noob (same movement as v3) all of them had the issue on the I.