Sign in to follow this  
TK01

My Opinion/ Input Breitling Super Avenger 48mm

TK01

Guys so far, those who have to know some information , before pulling a trigger on this Breitling Super Avenger 48mm . These are some things you should know from my point of view. First of all I have an 8 inch wrist, and have always loved bigger watches 45mm-52mm. The super avenger is a great watch and very beautiful craftsmanship. One thing I notice is, it makes a big difference of what strap you put on the Super Avenger. I had a Stainless Steel bracelet on it .It was ok but pinched my skin.This watch stands out a lot ,so be ready for people to ask you about it and give you comlements. I would recommend wearing this with a polo or regular tshirt. It makes a statement , but this is a reason I like it . You have to be ready to handle the attention. i have yet to buy an Ocean Racer rubber strap for this watch , which I hear is the most comfortable strapfor this watch. must. Any feedback would be great thank you !

8C964317-85B1-4A31-96BB-6F86BD3BB9EC.jpg

220A2129-03C0-4C09-B529-C572C8F55407.jpg

1503843A-B0F3-4291-AF2F-72CC91998551.jpg

agntkerr
pitchers-threadisuselesswithoutthem_zps56f7ebd8.jpg

Cheesemonger

I would say one of the gator straps from Migliore and you are set. I have one of Dan's straps on deployant and it is a fantastic setup. No slide and the flatness of the deployant seems to help with the top heavy aspect. This is the blue gator, but my photos don't do it justice.

To help a bit for dimensions, my wrist is 7.25-7.5 (humidity is not my friend).

P1020222_zpsd9039a54.jpg

P1020228_zps2286086b.jpg

P1020229_zps670b730d.jpg

TK01

Also that black Hadley Roma strap on my SA , it was black in color , not very good color for this watch

TheSav

I prefer my SA on the metal bracelet personally. I like that it is big and heavy and have never found it uncomfortable on my 7.5 inch wrist. Yours does look smart on the brown leather strap though.

Now I am off to file a "Request for shorter paragraphs form"

TK01

I guess I am not a SS fan p, but things change all the time in this hobbie

TK01

I am thinking to get a mesh Staib bracelet I can rotate to put on my SA and my future SOH. They run around $125 + shipping.

Steve227

+1 on getting a strap from Dan. I sold my SA and is the one I most regret giving up. I wore it with everything.

Here's a pic

IMG_7615.jpg

TK01

Got any straps left from your SA ? Steve227

Lenny63

I have a gen SA and hae 3 Gen calf straps and the Gen Pro II bracelet

Wearing on strap is my preference and the watch feels good and hugs the wrist

rawbaws

I love the look of the blue dial with brown leather.

Personally I have just ordered a white dial and I like the look of the white dial with SS bracelet. I'm very pedantic though so not sure how I will cope with scratches on such a shiny new watch :P

Derek Mc

I have become a massive fan of the S/A having bought a second to share the load with my stratus silver face Mk1, bought M2M on another place a few weeks ago.

bezel1_zps63cfd724.jpg

I have a 7 1/4 or so wrist and have always loved big watches, but this is a beast! it weighs is with the bracelet over 220grams so not for the faint hearted as you say, however, I don't lift weights or weigh 230lbs like the OP, I am a regular guy and have had no issue wearing the S/A all day on long overnoght trips where I can pull an 18 hour day.

I have managed to get through most makes since arriving on RWG and find that this watch above others is the eye candy. I wore an AP diver on Montauk strap that most people didn't know what it was,,,,, a CrPO, that was discreet sexy beautiful in it's own way but discreet, however SLAP my FACE and call me AGNES! this watch is about making a statement I noticed yesterday when in the queue at NatWest paying in funds to buy another watch that I had one guy transfixed by it, a lawyer type in the centre of Glasgow, kept making sideways glances (he was wearing a SMP BTW) the dial is gen so it wasn't a "thats a rep look" either

I love the scale of it, the weight and heft on the wrist, however have yet to try other strap types. The black incoming I have bought has a "Breitling" tang rubber on and that I will possibly change in quick time, I love the blingy bracelet, but am seriously thinking black (with white stitch) leather no hole on deployment as the shape of the deployment keeps my SOH firmly in the right direction on my wrist.

I do plan to experiment on both silver face and black as the strap makes one of the biggest differences on this watch and would really love to try a silver grey suede with black stitching for the silver dial, but,,, nobody makes that,,,,,, yet! Like I say I am not into discreet :)

DSC_0553a_zps36ecd88e.jpg

abs0025

I have become a massive fan of the S/A having bought a second to share the load with my stratus silver face Mk1, bought M2M on another place a few weeks ago.

bezel1_zps63cfd724.jpg

I have a 7 1/4 or so wrist and have always loved big watches, but this is a beast! it weighs is with the bracelet over 220grams so not for the faint hearted as you say, however, I don't lift weights or weigh 230lbs like the OP, I am a regular guy and have had no issue wearing the S/A all day on long overnoght trips where I can pull an 18 hour day.

I have managed to get through most makes since arriving on RWG and find that this watch above others is the eye candy. I wore an AP diver on Montauk strap that most people didn't know what it was,,,,, a CrPO, that was discreet sexy beautiful in it's own way but discreet, however SLAP my FACE and call me AGNES! this watch is about making a statement I noticed yesterday when in the queue at NatWest paying in funds to buy another watch that I had one guy transfixed by it, a lawyer type in the centre of Glasgow, kept making sideways glances (he was wearing a SMP BTW) the dial is gen so it wasn't a "thats a rep look" either

I love the scale of it, the weight and heft on the wrist, however have yet to try other strap types. The black incoming I have bought has a "Breitling" tang rubber on and that I will possibly change in quick time, I love the blingy bracelet, but am seriously thinking black (with white stitch) leather no hole on deployment as the shape of the deployment keeps my SOH firmly in the right direction on my wrist.

I do plan to experiment on both silver face and black as the strap makes one of the biggest differences on this watch and would really love to try a silver grey suede with black stitching for the silver dial, but,,, nobody makes that,,,,,, yet! Like I say I am not into discreet :)

That is one absolutely stunning watch.

Derek Mc

Thank you good sir!

I adore it myself and it is the most I have worn one single watch in years!

pwk

bezel1_zps63cfd724.jpg

Beautiful piece!

I am wondering, you said this is a gen dial but the gens I can find all have the split-in-the-middle font. Apparently not all - is that font from an older version or something?

I have even smaller wrists but just love the super avenger - especially the white one like yours. What's your suggestion regarding which version to get?

Thanks!

Derek Mc

Hi,

This dial dates back to 2006 from the manufacturing info so makes it a Mk1 version also it is a pearlised white which marks it down as something of a real rarity and very early on in production.

The later dials and the ones you tend to see most on ebay as an example are the later version typified by the "Automatic" word in red wrapped over the bottom subdial.

Other aspects are on the early dial the sub-dials are satin finished on later model some have a split satin/ribbed effect. Finally, the previous owner but one of this watch had a go at re-luming it and there is a fair amount of excess lume laying onto the black circle details on the number 6 lume spot sadly. But, this is no deterent in my using the watch in every respect it remains my No.1 Dress bling watch!!

pwk

Thanks for the awesome info Derie! :-) (You just made first post experience on RWG a hundred times better than my first 15 on RWI!)

I never even noticed the "Automatic" but you're right, of course.

Trusty has one with a similar dial to yours: http://www.ttw8488.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_137&products_id=10400

But I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $50. As for other subtle differences I can see that the hour lume-dots have varying size on yours and the winged logo is an insert rather than just printed on the dial. I suppose I could just save the $50 and look for a gen dial later - what did you pay to get it installed?

Nice diversity in your collection I must say. I have my first two reps ever coming in but the white SA is definitely in top 3 on my wish list.

Derek Mc

There are now I reckon four different numeral styles as the "Arabic" is the typical name used for split type you referred to however the genuine key to this watch is to ensure the case is spot on as dials are relatively cheap as are gen hands, so make sure the case and crystal / bezel set are spot on and then if you are like me a gen dial franken is the route to success.

Here is a likely candidate to consider http://www.ebay.co.u...=item23485f7a8a

And one with split numerals

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25ac796aa8

Glad you fine RWG friendly as we do genuinely try to help! and then when we can't we just revert to humour sacasm and general laddish behaviour :giggle:

Edited by Derek Mc

pwk

Great info, thanks!

Still need to figure how to spot if the case isn't spot on..... I just got to try and learn.

Sarcasm is great..... actually I didn't find much but arrogance on RWI which didn't exactly spark more interest.

Cheers!

Derek Mc

Great info, thanks!

Still need to figure how to spot if the case isn't spot on..... I just got to try and learn.

Sarcasm is great..... actually I didn't find much but arrogance on RWI which didn't exactly spark more interest.

Cheers!

On the cases look at the thickness of the bezel the depth is a quick give, as the screws shopuld have plenty meat top and bottom.

The actual case set is pretty darned good but the fit of the bezel is again the obvious tell as the gen is very good and has tight tolerances.

Bracelents again some better than others it's pure luck but they are very hard to tell on the wrist from gen though the anal retentive in me is still seeking one for my Skyland if not both Avenger Super/A

The Crystal should have an almost invisible look with a hint of dual colour AR on a reflection shot. You are going to be fine with Andrw at Trusty or speak to Tim at Watchfinder both are superb T/D's

Ranjullaumir

I really love the Super Avenger. It looks good on bracelet, leather or rubber. Some even wear it on a nato.

CKlein

I reeeaaaalllly like the white face. Can't tell from the pictures, but are the subdials white or silver?

hussamsaidan

would love that black leather with white stitching, pretty gent

KayGee

I just ordered a gen Pro I bracelet for my SA rep.

Randy Gross the Scammer

This is a model of watch with a tremendous amount of wrist presence. Plus, the gen is relatively cheap....$3-$4k...so it is fairly easy for the average person to pull off the wearing of the rep. I'm in love.