Sign in to follow this  
cliffy

Maybe I'm looking for something in Breitling not made or?

cliffy

OK new here, 1st post. Long time pilot still flying. Have a genny Wakmann gold case crono (mid 50s vintage) that I won't trade for anything.

Have always wanted a Breiling Navitimer World BUT the way I'm too hard on watches when I'm out flying I wouldn't want to put the real thing on my wrist.

I'm one of the few that would actually use the slide rule for real!

I have been reading for hours on this board for the last few days and searching the PD dealers sites also.

Here's my dilemma, all the good ones I see are autos with a couple days reserve power and as I fly only a day or two a week I would have to wind and reset it every time I go out. Not ideal for me.

I've looked (and I'll keep looking ) but I was wondering if any of you have ever seen or, how the general thinking is about Japanese quartz motors in these watches?

I can (for my purposes) get along with the tick-tock movement of the sweep hand for what I want is fairly accurate timekeeping and the complications to work as designed for my use in the cockpit. With that I could fly once a week and never have to worry about a dead watch when I strap it on.

Ideally what I'm going to search for is a Navi World in real gold (not rose gold), white dials, and brown leather strap.

I've just started the search so who knows, maybe one will turn up with one of the dealers here. We'll see.

I've actually "built" my own Breitling on their website (but not in a real gold, which they don't offer, they only have rose gold)) and it comes out to----------------------------------------------------------------almost 30 big ones :-) .

I've already learned a lot from reading here on this forum Thanks!

GenTLe

The dial spaces in those quartz are all wrong... They look really bad in my view...

Mr_B

Get a BP non gold and a watch winder

cliffy

Ya know, I didn't think of (or remember) anything like a watch winder but IIRC it kind of rocks the watch when not on the wrist to keep it wound?

Thank you both for the reply to the new guy here. I'm reading every evening, so much so my head hurts :-)

Seems when I get done learning enough I'll have a degree in horology! Have learned so much already about watches and movements (motors).

Thought I was only interested in a World but now that I see other makes and styles I might be getting in to deep in the whole rep world. Is it a disease?

ticktockmydickdoc

I don't think you're going to find a replica Breitling made with real gold..? Kind of defeats the purpose of an inexpensive rep.

I have a standard rep Navitimer and it's beautiful, slide rule lines up well; pilot here myself.

Regarding winding, it's not a big deal. Like 2 minutes, tops. Just add that 2 minutes to your checklist :D

Edited by ticktockmydickdoc

mike_morgan

I don't think you're going to find a replica Breitling made with real gold..? Kind of defeats the purpose of an inexpensive rep.

I think he's referring to yellow gold plated (real) as opposed to rose gold plated. At least that's the way I read it.

Thought I was only interested in a World but now that I see other makes and styles I might be getting in to deep in the whole rep world. Is it a disease?

Watch collecting is a disease... replica watch collecting is a subset of the main disease,

SO... regarding your desire for a Navitimer... I'd like to offer a suggestion, if I may.

First things first... you're a Pilot that is seeking a Pilots watch, which makes complete sense. But remember... You are a REAL pilot flying a REAL airplane and miscalculations, timing errors, etc. will have REAL consequences... this is really not the ideal scenario for a replica mechanical watch... which are for wannabe pilots that fly imaginary planes... I hope you can see what I'm getting at here!

A pilot watch, for you, is an actual tool you will use, in flight. A replica watch may very well be fine, but, what if it's not? Is this worth the risk?

IF you get a replica Navitimer, I'd suggest getting a quartz version as it will most likely be more reliable, and accurate, than the mechanical versions that use the time-bomb prone A7750 movement which doesn't actually create panic in anybody if it fails while walking down the street, but could really ruin your day if it happened on a cross country flight.

This is one case, in my opinion, where a quartz version is WAY more appropriate than a mechanical.

ticktockmydickdoc

I think he's referring to yellow gold plated (real) as opposed to rose gold plated. At least that's the way I read it.

Watch collecting is a disease... replica watch collecting is a subset of the main disease,

SO... regarding your desire for a Navitimer... I'd like to offer a suggestion, if I may.

First things first... you're a Pilot that is seeking a Pilots watch, which makes complete sense. But remember... You are a REAL pilot flying a REAL airplane and miscalculations, timing errors, etc. will have REAL consequences... this is really not the ideal scenario for a replica mechanical watch... which are for wannabe pilots that fly imaginary planes... I hope you can see what I'm getting at here!

A pilot watch, for you, is an actual tool you will use, in flight. A replica watch may very well be fine, but, what if it's not? Is this worth the risk?

IF you get a replica Navitimer, I'd suggest getting a quartz version as it will most likely be more reliable, and accurate, than the mechanical versions that use the time-bomb prone A7750 movement which doesn't actually create panic in anybody if it fails while walking down the street, but could really ruin your day if it happened on a cross country flight.

This is one case, in my opinion, where a quartz version is WAY more appropriate than a mechanical.

I'm a pilot too, there's nothing wrong with these rep Navitimers. Although I'm curious why this guy's deciding to step back in time and use his watch rather than the technology of 2017...

GenTLe

Seriously I don't think anyone these days uses a mechanical watch as flying instrument. At most to have a quick look at GMT function time :)

Well, unless he flies this:

WilLouis.jpg

For which, anyway, I'd propose more an hour angle watch:

Ps: I have tens of 7750, they are more then fine if you treat then well...

JSJ

Welcome to the the forum.

I definitely don't want to fly in an aircraft in which the pilot relies on a mechanical watch, gen or rep, for preflight etc.

Rose gold is 'real' gold. All 'gold' except pure gold is an alloy. 24 carat is pure and is very soft and expensive. 18 carat (18 out of 24 parts gold) is normally the nearest to pure gold sold for watches and 9 carat is also very common. The rest of the 'gold' is other metals and the proportions of these different metals affects the colour of the metal as sold.

All the above refers to solid gold. Plating is much cheaper. Reps are plated.

Good luck with the search and with the hobby.

ticktockmydickdoc
Seriously I don't think anyone these days uses a mechanical watch as flying instrument. At most to have a quick look at GMT function time :)

Wait, you don't use your rep watch, E6B, and paper maps for everything? Fake pilot.

cliffy

Well let's see- I go back to levers and steam gauges in 727s. "Using" the Navitimer" in flight would be just for the fun of it. I DO carry a wiz wheel and use it in flight as it gives many more scales to use for in-flight info. I even carried in the 757 and had youngsters in the right seat ask, "what is that?" All the newer "glass cockpit" stuff is just fluff and pretties. It ain't needed to get an accurate and safe flight. Wiz wheels (Navitimer) can give you all you need even down to how much fuel you'll need for the trip. You just have to know how to use it. It is no different than a Jeppesen wiz wheel. it's just a circular slide rule. Piece of cake to use for accurate info-IF YOU KNOW HOW! They used them for 70 years before the glass stuff came out and did alright.

I've just always liked the looks of Navitimers, never wanted to put $7K on my wrist and walk down the street. I would just like to have the "look" (for myself, honestly, not to flash and brag, honestly, OK?) and just have it keep reasonable time and have the functions work. Really want the World for UTC time.

Having flown for 55 yrs preflight for my small airplane is really fairly easy in the planning. These days if it isn't clear and 50 I might not go. I've done all the crappy weather flying I ever want to do. In reality, clear weather flying is just looking out the window and don't fly where the weather is. it's that simple! No big trick to it. Weather can't fly faster than any airplane to "catch" you. YOU have to fly into IT! No extensive pre-flight issues so the use of a watch is only ancillary to the entire program.

I hope that answers "ticktock--------------" Its just for fun but can be used and quite accurate. GPS is for the lazy :-) :-)

I do carry and know how to use paper "charts" NOT MAPS and I know how to navigate by "pilotage".

This forum is w a wealth of information and I thank you all for your comments. PLEASE keep them coming.

As to the "gold"?

I have a gen Wakmann Incabloc crono in yellow gold plate that my Dad gave me 50 years ago when I started flying. I just like the look of the yellow gold and brown leather strap. Just me I guess.

Not opposed to the quartz motor, just haven't found a supplier yet, any one want to offer directions there? I'm spending all my evenings reading about reps and stuff, forum rules and the lingo and acronyms. Lots to learn. Way more than I figured and very interesting. Even has me looking at Subs, never even gave them a thought before now.

Thanks again and I'll keep reading until I learn 1/2 of what most of you guys know. Its a long trail.

RUSH2112

What exactly are you doing in the cockpit that's capable of breaking a watch?

ticktockmydickdoc

I think most of the stuff he's referring to is accuracy of the timepiece. Although the automatics running a few seconds forward or behind isn't going to alter much inflight planning, if he wants accuracy he should get a quartz.

Someone else more knowledgeable can corret me if I'm wrong, but it seems there aren't quartz Navitimers that are close to gen. The ones I've seen are huge case sizes with weirdly placed subdials.

RUSH2112

I think most of the stuff he's referring to is accuracy of the timepiece. Although the automatics running a few seconds forward or behind isn't going to alter much inflight planning, if he wants accuracy he should get a quartz.

Someone else more knowledgeable can corret me if I'm wrong, but it seems there aren't quartz Navitimers that are close to gen. The ones I've seen are huge case sizes with weirdly placed subdials.

He said he's way too hard on his watches when he's out flying to use the gen. I'm wondering why that is.

cliffy

Because I guess I'm not careful enough when I'm out and about. I used to use Seikos when I was working for a living and with all the in and out of the plane, on and off crew buses, in and out of hotels at all hours, they took quite a beating. Had a premo 82 Porsche with 14K on it and didn't drive it cause I didn't want to hurt it and I think I'd be the same way with a gen Navitimer. They look so good I wouldn't want to take the chance of harming it.

I thought about the quartz only from the "don't have to wind" angle but then found out that most if not all of those have issues with being close rep quality. From what I've learned, the BP World is real close in rep quality but uses the A7750 BUT it seems that the 6-9-12 set up is the native A7750 so it may not have the power issues of a 3-6-9 gear train. Or am I way out in left field here? Just trying to learn before I jump.

ticktockmydickdoc
I thought about the quartz only from the "don't have to wind" angle but then found out that most if not all of those have issues with being close rep quality. From what I've learned, the BP World is real close in rep quality but uses the A7750 BUT it seems that the 6-9-12 set up is the native A7750 so it may not have the power issues of a 3-6-9 gear train. Or am I way out in left field here? Just trying to learn before I jump.

I feel like you're overreacting in regards to this. The Navitimer I currently have (it's a brand new white dialed one with A7750 in 3/6/9 that I'm selling to make way for the Montbrillant Datora: https://s25.postimg....0703_164746.jpg) averaged 38 hours over 3 separate tests of its power reserve. Even so, is it really that big of a deal to wind your damn watch and set the time? It takes 2 minutes, and I'm not sure what the 3/6/9 "power issues" are; it's the seconds @ 6 that was plagued with issues.

If your wrist can fit the Navitimer World, go with that. Having zulu time on your wrist along with local would serve added benefit.

cliffy

Your white one looks great.

I'm not small so the Navi fits my wrist fine (at least the real one I tried on in Vegas a year ago :-)

In all my reading I may be getting confused with all the talk of "issues" with the A7750. I thought I read somewhere that the 6-9-12

was the way to go on the A7750. And, I wanted UTC time.

If winding and setting is not really an issue for the motor then I could get used to doing it I guess. If it stops for a week is setting the date a big issue?

Like I said earlier, I'm new at this but trying to learn fast. There's a lot to learn. I do have to reset my gen Wakmann every time I use it.

GenTLe

The risk is not the power reserve on the 3/6/9. But only the sunken date wheel.

As I wrote the BP solved it removing part of the chrono functions, but it looks a bit old as a model. The JF (if I remember right) is the new version (I mean Breitling new version) with black DW and fully functional chrono, and the DW doesn't look bad at all.

cliffy

Now I am confused!

In all my reading I thought that the current BP model of the World was the best rendition yet and that

because the layout was the "native" for the A7750 it ran pretty good. I understood that the date wheel

was mostly resolved (which is not a big deal for me) and that all the functions worked as designed.

In reading reviews and looking at pictures it looked good to my neophyte eyes.

Am I wrong in this assessment? Do I need to start all over again?

ticktockmydickdoc
Now I am confused!

In all my reading I thought that the current BP model of the World was the best rendition yet and that

because the layout was the "native" for the A7750 it ran pretty good. I understood that the date wheel

was mostly resolved (which is not a big deal for me) and that all the functions worked as designed.

In reading reviews and looking at pictures it looked good to my neophyte eyes.

Am I wrong in this assessment? Do I need to start all over again?

You're correct in your assessment, native configuration is more reliable. If my wrist was bigger I'd get the World, but alas, need to stay with standard Navi.

You can always buy mine!

GenTLe

Reliability is not a bid deal with 3/6/9. 7750 are ALL delicate movements, but the real problem (power reserve bad etc) can happen on those with the RUNNING SECONDS not at 9 (see Daytona for example).

Said that (regardless what noobs write here and there...), this is the Navitimer with native configuration and not sunked dw (but it's BIG with 47mm case):

http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_29&product_id=1214

IMG_7737-1024x768.JPG

Then there is the 3/6/9 from BP with no sunked dial and partially working (no hour and no minute counters) chronograph and 43mm case, which is an older model (meaning that Breitling had this in catalogue from 2009):

https://www.intime01.co/breitling/2434-navitimer-01-bp-1-1-ss-black-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a7750.html

navitimer-01-bp-1-1-ss-black-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a7750.jpg

Finally this is the current model from Brietling. Again 43mm, fully functional chrono and with a not-so-sunken DW:

https://www.intime01.co/breitling/1967-navitimer-01-1-1-ss-black-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a7750.html

navitimer-01-1-1-ss-black-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a7750.jpg

In the past there was also this one, 42mm one, but I doubt it is still available (pic of a gen):

BreitlingNavitimer.jpg

This is mine, like the 3rd one:

IMG_20161130_225745.thumb.jpg.fc52b8fe7625615d0dfde00d43c7db71.jpg

cliffy

Boy I've got so much to learn. I really want the 24 hr World dial for UTC time and I need it to work. The 47 mm size is not a problem for my wrist :-)

I do want all the dials to work and I "thought" I read that the BP rendition did that but now I guess I need to go back and read some more .

Well off to school again

Thanks for the help This is getting interesting.