Sign in to follow this  
gwkiw

A7550 Crown concerns

gwkiw

Hi, a noob question regarding A7550 crown quirks. I have 2 Chronomat Evos that I recently purchased. A blue dial (a few months ago) and a white dial (just before CNY).

The blue watch the crown works perfect. A minor bit of effort to pull the crown out to adjust time/date but it has definite 2 click positions for the date/time adjusting positions. Both pulling the crown out and pushing it back in.

The white watch has different crown behavior. It is most often harder to pull out the crown to the second time adjust position. Not really a click felt at all. It adjusts the time fine though. I am a little concerned though about the force I am using though to initially pull it out. I carefully leverage my nails between the case and the crown base and slowly move it out. Pushing it back to the date adjust position sometimes is harder than the effort in comparison, required adjusting the blue watch crown back to the date position. Also the white watch doesn't really 'click' into the date position well either but adjusts the date fine. And to throw some more random behavior in, occasionally when adjusting the white watch crown it does actually have a click felt for both the positions. Kind of intermittent behavior.

Other than that both watches keep excellent time and have great reserve.

Figure I would ask the experts their opinion. Should I be concerned with the white Evo crown? I was debating on contacting the dealer once the CNY backlog clears but I don't really want to go through the effort of sending it back unless it really fails....... or should I?

gwkiw

I was hoping with all the owners of A7750 reps out there that they might be able to offer some insight on the crown functionality I'm experiencing. Come on guys, that's why I joined this group. Basically I'm just looking for some opinions for now. Is this par for the course on average for the varied quality of A7750 movements or do I have an issue here that I should address with the TD before it potentially fails or get it serviced? Could it be inadequite oiling of the stem/related mechanism or ? The watch works great otherwise and I can adjust time/date (turns fine) but the crown is on the tight side to pull out/push in and doesn't readily 'click' into the outer 2 positions compared to my other A7750 watch.

greg_r

7750s tend to be a bit variable - they're rarely well lubricated from the factory and some tend to be stiffer than others (both winding stem and pushers). I've got one that's very hard to push back in but has nevertheless worked reliably for 3-4 years now.

There's no guarantee that returning it is going to improve matters very much - if it was mine, I'd hang onto it for now and if it causes problems down the line, get it serviced by a rep-friendly watchsmith.

gwkiw

Thanks, that was what my gut was telling me also. Appreciate the feedback. I didn't really want to go down the path returning it to the TD unless it was an outright DOA.

myaz

The problem you describe does not involve the whole movement but the motion of the parts in the keyless works area of your watch that control the setting functions of the crown.

Due to lack of rigid quality control at the factories, such as attention to mechanical tolerances, etc, variations are expected. I'm guessing that if you send it back, they'd be real tempted to just put a drop of oil as a quick fix. greg_r is spot on, I'd only add to be careful with forces on the crown so that you don't break the stem.

gwkiw

Makes sense. I am taking extra care in setting this watch.

unreformed66

I've run into several of the A7750 movements with crappy stiff stem action. Some needed a little oil. Some were caused from crappy parts with out of spec tolerances. I've swapped in genuine ETA 7750 setting bridges and detents and cured the problem. Like Myaz said, the quality control in the Chinese factories leaves a lot to be desired.

gwkiw

Good to know some genuine ETA 7750 parts can be used to resolve the issue. I don't think I'm up to attempting that myself yet, but I may try to find a rep-friendly watchsmith to perform the surgery if it gets worse.