NCRich

Fun with dials

NCRich

So I'm building 3 DRSDs and I'm going to do them all a bit different. Who wants the same old, same old. One of these is for me and the other 2 are for others. Since one person bought a separate dial I've got one to experiment on for aging.

Since we aren't using this dial I used it as a test subject. I'm working on two others so I was playing with application of heat.

New dial

9z1hEbO.jpg?1

I kept putting this dial back in the oven. This was a test to see where we want to stop. This was a bit too far, though I bet if you ghosted a bezel and lumed the hands raggedly to match you'd have people falling over you for it.

BZxaGrU.jpg?1

So I stopped this one here, its for someone else and I don't want to take it too far. This has a couple coats of flat lacquer applied to give it some texture. Actually they all do.

YNVFbXl.jpg?1

This one is mine, I went further as I am going to age mine more. Something different as I want to do this a bit more. I'll probably fade the insert more on this as well.

gn2mFxl.jpg?1

And a pic of all three

z31xjgV.jpg?1

As I said FUN WITH DIALS!

Daffy

So, what is your recipe? How long, what was the oven set at, etc.?

NCRich

400F was the temp. 9 minutes is too long, that is the overdone one. 5 minutes on the least one, 6-7 on mine. I'd not trust that though. You have to watch these. I look every 30 seconds.

purger72

Looks really good, specifically the one that was in 9min. How will you match the hands to the dial?

NCRich

Looks really good, specifically the one that was in 9min. How will you match the hands to the dial?

You strip off the existing lume with acetone, then relume. I can make the lume any color with pigments.

fatarms

I feel bad for whoever owns the dial you barbecued :lol:

NCRich

I feel bad for whoever owns the dial you barbecued :lol:

Yeah, sorry about that dude. :lol:

NCRich

Came out pretty nice once you relume. Almost done.

YQipc3H.jpg?2

porschespeedster

Came out pretty nice once you relume. Almost done.

YQipc3H.jpg?2

Wow, this is very well done, and for no money other than the cost of lume.

NCRich, you're ascending to Rep God status rather quickly!

JimboJames1972

Sorry to jump in in this old thread, but I’m gsthering together parts for my next build (vintage Explorer) and am considering aging my next dial and hand set.

Out of interest, does the heating process stop the lume from working? I’m guessing that once the hands are stripped back and re-lumed with pigment lume then they will glow at night quite well, but do the hour markers etc still do the same?

Many thanks.

NCRich

Not always, but like everything is just depends.  There are no guarantees when doing this.