onzenuub

Improving reps with Lemania (ST-19) movement

onzenuub

I think there was a tuto similar to this is a forum…but I think that the tuto is lost. So let me show you how easy is solving one of the flaws of the reps using the copy Lemania or seagull ST-19 movement.

The reps using this movement have a false hour counter in 6 position. Amazingly, the counter is synchronized with the hour hand, as show in following picture:

4647692609_d8e2f0998d_o.jpg

We are going to fix the hand of the hour counter. Of course this is not what the gen has. However, if the chorno is stopped, the result of this mod is correct, and you will not realize that the hand is fixed. And if the chrono is not running more than 10 minutes (more or less) is difficult to see that the hand is fixed.

Following picture shows the Lemania copy (ST-19) movement:

4647692667_942cc34292_o.jpg

The arrow points the button to release the stem, and the circles the screws to free the movement form the case. There is a ring holding the movement… in my case I needed 20 minutes, yes, 20, to remove the ring… a typical tolerance problems of our reps.

Next step is removing the hands:

4647692741_55f9fc2909_o.jpg

4647692827_a4dda7d8f0_o.jpg

To remove the dial we have to unscrew a bit two screws;

4648307452_791837b298_o.jpg

After removing the dial you will see this:

4647692921_a39af7e0ae_o.jpg

After removing 3 screws and the top plate, the modification is visible:

4648307576_74b47347f5_o.jpg

Gear A connects the hour wheel to the output of the false hour counter, gear B. We have to remove gears A and B:

4647693045_e2b40e6454_o.jpg

4648307678_061a081526_o.jpg

And a drop of superglue of similar is placed in the hole shown by the arrow. Then we assembly again only gear B and the mod is finished.

Then we go back all the steps, setting the hand of the hour counter to 0 position. It will be there for ever.

4648307736_a007e5059b_o.jpg

Final result:

4647693225_3673a57b39_o.jpg

Regards,

Francisco

dingle

great post. saw it at RG as well ;)

JoeyB

If the sub-dial at 6 tracks with the hour hand, why make it non-functional? Remove the hand and re-install it set it to GMT time or another time zone of your choice. Then the dial is still functioning, and you have a GMT watch.

sconehead

Superglue???

AustinTech

those ST-19 movements are so cool.

I want a homage with one of them inside. Any suggestions?

sconehead
those ST-19 movements are so cool.

I want a homage with one of them inside. Any suggestions?

Robert has loads here, not hommages though...http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=5388

trailboss99
Superglue???

Quite. With all due respect to Francisco that sounds like a bad idea to me. I think any glue should go on the plate to hold the gear rather than down the hole, it could end up anywhere. I'd personaly be using a tiny drop of Gorilla Grip or the likes rather than super glue. Super Glue does not come within a mad mile of my watch bench.

The GMT idea is a good one but it still won't look right.

Col.

AustinTech

Thats a purdy fingernail.

sconehead

I was led to believe the fumes off superglue did terrible things to intricate watch parts as well as the obvious you mentioned above Col...

JoeyB
Superglue???

Quite. With all due respect to Francisco that sounds like a bad idea to me. I think any glue should go on the plate to hold the gear rather than down the hole, it could end up anywhere. I'd personaly be using a tiny drop of Gorilla Grip or the likes rather than super glue. Super Glue does not come within a mad mile of my watch bench.

Col.

I think, and I could be wrong, that all he is doing with the superglue is plugging the hole. I'd agree, there must be better ways to do that.

I don't know that any mod to that sub-dial will look "right", even sitting at zero the rest of it's life. Personally, I don't like things that are only for looks and don't function, even if the function is 'different'. For me, why go into the movement and take out gears? There is only one who gets close enough to tell if my watch is right or not, and when she's that close it's not the watch she's interested in.

sconehead
Superglue???

Col.

I think, and I could be wrong, that all he is doing with the superglue is plugging the hole. I'd agree, there must be better ways to do that.

I don't know that any mod to that sub-dial will look "right", even sitting at zero the rest of it's life. Personally, I don't like things that are only for looks and don't function, even if the function is 'different'. For me, why go into the movement and take out gears? There is only one who gets close enough to tell if my watch is right or not, and when she's that close it's not the watch she's interested in.

It's your gold teeth she's after??? The horror... :monkeypuzzle:

JoeyB
Superglue???

Col.

It's your gold teeth she's after??? The horror... :o

Aren't they all?

trailboss99

Nope, the gear being replaced (because the hand sits on it's shaft it must be there) needs to be frozen in position or the hand will just flop around.

I think something may have been lost in translation here. By 'hole' I think he means in the cutout for the gear. Even so I can think of several more appropriate adhesives than Super Glue. Yes, Sconey, the fumes from that stuff can do untold amounts of damage.

Col.

prestigewatchco

we have done these before if I remember we just cut the A gear to avoid contact with the main hand gear. This gives a much bigger area to place the glue away from anything

trailboss99

A much better idea Robert.

Col.

debian

thanks for the tutorial, great mod.

gran

You have to change the tittel of this topic

This is not a Lemania movement it is a Venus 175

Gunnar ;)

frank t

I did one of these a few years ago, and I used a small snippet of double sided "scotch" tape to anchor the gear....While i do have super glue on my bench, it NEVER goes into a movement!!!

Drhulee
You have to change the tittel of this topic

This is not a Lemania movement it is a Venus 175

Gunnar :kinkythegayviking:

Actually it is a Seagull ST19, or variation of it :)

speedzmaster

But, what if we enter Le Mans and want to time ourselves?! :kinkythegayviking:

Sweet tutorial!

Speedmaster

i need to make this to all speedmaster replica or the maker are fixing it ?

DR3M3L

I always do this mod without any glue. Get some though black rubber, cut a small piece out, press it inbetween the dial and the plate on the place of the hole, then use a small needle to make a small hole in the rubber, insert the hand in there and it hold very good. This is IMO much safer then adding a drop of glue in the hole of a movement.... Didn't see this earlier, but glad I didn't gave this a try when I was just starting watch repairing :P