mysterio

XF PAM682 Pictorial Review

mysterio

As I explained in the XF PAM305 Pictorial review, having some trouble currently with shipping leadtimes for watches I am planning to review, so I've decided to try and do a picture review. These are pictures taken of the actual watch. For my first next review, this is the

Luminor 1950 Submersible 3 Days Automatic Acciaio 42

O71LwGl.png

The PAM682 was just announced this year in the SIHH (Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie Genève) 2017 held in Geneva, Switzerland and along with its ceramic bezel equipped Rose Gold twin, the PAM684, is Officine Panerai's first 42mm Submersibles, something that those with smaller wrists have been clamoring for. It is a 42mm Submersible with a stainless steel construction with an open caseback that shows its P.9010 movement, which aside from the smaller diameter of the watch, has enabled it to become theoretically thinner (I say this because I have not been able to find any reference stating its actual thickness, although with a smaller case and thinner in-house movement, it is expected to be thinner). As this was just announced barely three months ago, it was hoped but it was not expected to come out so soon. However, the newly announced XF factory has demonstrated its manufacturing capability by coming out with a rep in such a short amount of time. With the proliferation of the 44mm and 47mm submersibles in the replica arena, it surely has arrived in a congested arena. Will its 42mm size be up to standards?

Dial - Black dial with the LUMINOR SUBMERSIBLE text at 12 o'clock and the PANERAI Automatic text at 6 o'clock. Circular hour markers for the majority of the dial with 1 and 2 stick markers at 6 and 12 o'clock respectively. Seconds subdial with the characteristic blue seconds hand for P.9010 equipped watches (although it does not have a P.9000 counterpart like the PAM1312) and date complication window @ 3 o'clock.

7ZogxrU.jpg

Crown and crown guard - Nicely executed crown guard, with the slight chamfers at the sides of the half-moon shape, same as gen (not as prominent as on larger submersibles but it is there). REG T.M. engraving is nicely done and lever pin placement is same as gen although might need some adjustment (looks a little sunk). Crown is a bit skinny but it looks like same as the gen (since it's smaller to match a 42mm watch).

BnqHaLZ.jpg

Bezel - Bezel is nicely brushed. The bezel minute markers from 0-15 are sharp and legible and the circular hour markers aren't prominent nor are they sunk on the bezel. Slight chamfer on both top and bottom sides of the bezel, not as prominent as on bigger subs but it looks like the same as the gen. The cut is clean and it exposes the shiny polished edge underneath contrasting the brushed stainless steel case.

hnM8s5u.jpg

Case - Well done case, brushed stainless steel with longer lugs which is expected for P.9010 based movement watches. Here is the shot with the PAM682 as reference. Back of the case has the QR strap change system same as on gen. Caseback is nicely engraved showing the movement underneath.

NKIowHV.jpg

5B6BeIn.jpg

Movement - It is the new P.9010 movement which in reality is just the A7750 with decorative plates glued on to make it look like the gen P.9010. Fortunately, the placement of the balance wheel for the A7750 is at the same location for the gen movement, which is @11. No misspellings thank goodness. :D

u8WAWBR.jpg

ry1ggRd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tX2sBmz.jpg]

Lume - This recently has been a discussion item since the first batch of PAM682s had the uniform green lume to match the first picture uploaded by OP in their website. Now it has been updated to show that the P.9010 based submersibles will henceforth have blue lume on the lume pip and the minute hand. So naturally, rep fans were sadenned to know such an easily discoverable tell was missed (although understandably). Well, cheer up, I told you the factory had been contacted and notified of this glaring error. This is the corrected version (this is the very first prototype I'm told but it should be coming out shortly. ;) ). Of course, don't take my word for it, look at the following pictures (one in normal conditions, another taken in the dark). :D

WbTydM7.jpg

CwNgEaM.jpg

So in conclusion, the XF PAM682 looks to be getting its due attention from those who have been clamoring for a 42mm submersible, especially from rep collectors. With fit and finish every bit as good as the other factory releases, this watch at the very least deserves your attention. Definitely at least a first-class rep medium class if we're going to consider the movement (it's very good but it's not 1:1 to gen), maybe even bordering on super rep class.

Thanks for looking! :)

soundfx

i am actually looking for a rep like this, where can i get this one? do you sell it?

JohnCocktoastin

i am actually looking for a rep like this, where can i get this one? do you sell it?

Start here:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showforum=6

then here:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=81269

then go here http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=60

and find a TD you like, tell him/her what you want and go thru the process. :treadmill:

Pentax

Can you please post a picture with this watch and a Rolex Sub so we can see the size comparison that would be great to see the difference 

Hunklee

Thanks for sharing. Very helpful indeed!

cvp3

Hmmm 42mm PAM's. I like.

raspymcnasty

could you post some wrist shots? I cant imagine a 42mm pam

Pentax

Enjoy!

http://IMG_8779.jpg