Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

Review Of OMEGA Speedmaster "reduced"

trailboss99

109184-24326.jpg

I always wanted the rep of Moon Watch. How can a Omega fan live without one? A fellow member was selling his "reduced" version for a ridiculous price at TRC (due to chronograph reset problem) so I had no other choice but put him out of his misery and buy this lovely watch. Thanks my friend!!!

The chronograph resets to random positions on the dial but since I rarely use the chronos on my watches I just stopped it manually at '12 and live with it... for now. Other than that the watch is perfect and keeps excellent time. A fellow watchsmith who "killed" my BA subdial will probably do the same for this baby... and fix the stopwatch reset problem as well.

Once again, this rep is powered with Venus/Seagull hand wind movement which Ziggy has reviewed HERE.

I was going to buy the watch only for review purposes (as an addition to my Omega Guide). Some people have been asking about the "reduced" rep version and I thought I'd do a community service, just quickly review the watch and let it go after that. I thought the "reduced" version would look ridiculously small on me but I was wrong.

109184-24327.jpg

The watch feels roughly the same size as the Sub or GMT Master, and when compared to the full sized Speedy it doesn't feel much smaller at all. This was a pleasant surprise to me, and I'm also surprised how much I like the watch! It has more rugged appearance than my "BA". Here you can see a quick comparison shot of the two:

109184-24328.jpg

My "BA hands" Speedmaster has thicker case and bracelet, plus a raised acrylic crystal which makes it look a bit "bulkier". The difference in diameter (2-3mm) isn't too dramatic as you can see from the picture.

Actually I'm happy that I got the "reduced" Speedy, since I've never seen a pictorial or review of this rep anywhere. Even among the genuine watch circles you rarely see anyone buying or reviewing this smaller version. Just like another "little brother", Tudor Mini-Sub, it's overshadowed by the bigger version... and thus it's not that desirable among the collectors. To be exact, the reduced version is not the "real" Moon Watch, because the full sized real McCoy was powered with Lemania hand wind movement... and the gen reduced Speedy comes with automatic only.

And besides, Pugwash has already reviewed the full sized rep Moon Watch. You can read about his trip to the Moon HERE.

Then to the unavoidable question: Is the "reduced" version very accurate?

The short answer is "no". Almost everything is wrong in the rep, which makes it a hybrid watch. As you can see from the following two comparison shots the appearance of the watch and the subdial spacing is almost exact. But when we take a closer examination we'll see that the running seconds and stopwatch minute counter are reversed... and the rep lacks the numeric seconds markers from 5, 10, 20, etc. And of course the problem with all Venus/SeaGull powered reps the 6'o'clock subdial is a 24 hour hand which makes the appearance wrong. The rep also has writing "PROFESSIONAL" on the dial while the genuine has text "AUTOMATIC".

Replica:

109184-24329.jpg

Genuine:

109184-24330.jpg

You think the flaws end here? Well, the clasp is also wrong. This rep has long push-button clasp with the writing "Speedmaster Professional" and a diver's extension clasp! The rep factory has apparently used a Seamaster clasp with this one. It's actually quite hilarious how flawed this rep is. Our most anal retentive members will probably commit a suicide after seeing this review. (Genuine clasp on the right).

109184-24331.jpg

It also has the standard, transparent glass back (just like all other Venus/Seagull Speedys). It's inaccurate for this model (how did you guess?), but gorgeous as ever.

109184-24332.jpg

Well, how dare I still like the watch, with all these flaws?

If I like the design, looks and "feel" of the watch I just enjoy it. It's that simple. The general appearance is very accurate and watch has quality feel of a high-end replica. It's just those minutiae hardcore WIS details that instantly give it away. The watch looks absolutely gorgeous on the wrist... and it's different enough from my "BA-hands version". And if someone asks (which most likely won't happen) I just tell them it's a hybrid. I actually HOPE that I'll run into a WIS who knows the exact details of Omega Speedmaster "reduced" in this lifetime.

This review kinda left me scratching my head. Because in the end of the day I'm not sure if this rep should be compared to the "reduced" version at all. Maybe we should see it as just another rep version of the Moon Watch? The only differences between this and the full sized rep is the bracelet, 2mm smaller diameter and the flat crystal.

Genuine "reduced" Speedmaster retails at $1800, but preowned watches can be obtained for as low as $500. So does buying the flawed rep make any sense?

No, unless you get a good deal like me. Yes, if you have smaller wrists, like the looks of this watch as it is... and find it for less than $150. But definitely go for the full sized version if you want more accurate Speedy.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy my sinfully inaccurate but ah so delicious and good looking new Speedmaster!!! Omegas are such amazing watches, gens and reps. I don't think I'll ever get enough of them.

Thanks for looking (once again).

109184-24333.jpg

--------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE: I will not reply to watch/part/mod questions via PM from the members anymore. I'd love to help everyone privately, but my PM box gets flooded/spammed these days with these enquiries and I simply don't have the time. This is a hobby for me, not a job. Please ask your questions in the public forum where you have thousands of potential helpers. It's nothing personal. Thanks for understanding.

By-Tor

oscarmadfish
:popcorn:

powderfreak

Just got the same rep yesterday and have to say that this was and still is a very accurate and honest review. For all those who can live with small flaws on their reps: Go for it, the Speedy feels, wears and looks just great!

Thanks again for that excellent review!

KeNnY

one day, ONE DAY, I will have it on my wrist also :D

Matlow

Nice review. I enjoyed that :D