kennycoder

Rep vs Gen: Breitling Navitimer 01

kennycoder

Finally received the rep! Was trying to get one from our TDs but nobody could source it. Sold out.. imagine that... Had to post a "want to buy" request and gladly one kind member replied.

Anyway.. long story short, how does it feel? Generally speaking it's one hell of a rep. Very well done, feels super solid, almost gen like. Size, feel, operation, etc, is very similar. AR is virtually the same, just a bit different hue of blue. Gen is more pink-ish I'd say. Bezel on this rep is spot on. Not as tight as the gen, but fuck me the gen is very tight. Sometimes it's super hard to turn. I guess it depends on the temperature somehow because it's not always like that. The hotter it is, the tighter it gets. (Maybe I'm wrong and it's plain dirty).

Bezel ruler also finally aligns with the dial, so this is a plus. DW font is spot on. Caseback is quite well done. Overall shape of lugs is also correct.

Now for the imperfections...

1. Bezel ruler marks don't touch the dial as on the gen. There is a 1/5th mm gap that is visible. (minor)

2. Caseback is not as deep / well defined. (minor)

3. Serial number between the lugs is in the wrong place and is much bigger. (minor)

4. Case is thicker due to 7750 mod (medium)

5. DW is sunken (major)

6. Movement is 21600bph (medium)

7. The dial.. for me this is the biggest giveaway. Not because of the subdial spacing but because of the way it reflects light. Huge difference there. Gen has this sunburst effect while the rep is blunt silver paint.

Aaand now pic time (sorry for the quality). 28th on the gen, 29th on the rep.

cz914cz.jpgoYOVioY.jpgw9ZSYeG.jpgYtOJPUe.jpgCVZjGZh.jpg1OpCgUE.jpgwKyidBM.jpgDSTcfa9.jpgbi3jsIv.jpg63u92gt.jpg9ooRdZK.jpg690pq8l.jpg5fyC0Nj.jpg?1

webbo2005

Good purchase! Once it's on the wrist, it looks pretty spot on to me!

Mine says hi (on a very good £4.99 brown leather strap I got from ebay...)

POGWf8Fh.jpg

The only difference is mine is 28800 and date wheel doesn't look as sunken :|

0DBxUuFh.jpg

Edited by webbo2005

KeNnY

very nice thanks for the pics and review :)

I like this type of watch, reminds me the Quartz model I had won on Auction from Robert back in the days.

Maybe one day I will get a breitling again, this is really classic , like the Moon watch from Omega.

kennycoder

It's super classy. I think the rep captured the essence of the navitimer very well. From the normal wrist distance nobody will notice it's a rep. It is that good.

GenTLe

The only difference is mine is 28800 and date wheel doesn't look as sunken :|

0DBxUuFh.jpg

Auch, please fix that huge beat error :)

BTW: do you have a link to your model at TD site?

GenTLe

kennycoder

It's weird. Mine is for sure 21600. And it's the second one I have. Maybe some TDs got them with 28800 fitted somehow. Nevertheless on the @9 dial it's virtually impossible to see the difference.

Silva97

Not bad at all, without putting the 2 side by side hard to tell. If only it didn't have the sunken date wheel.

Del

Nice comparison mate! :thunbsup2:

That sunken datewheel is a killer though. This is the biggest issue IMO because it's easy to spot without having the gen beside it for comparing (unlike the dial issue you mention, which would be much harder to spot if the rep was by itself). I actually think a good quartz version would be a real hit since the datewheel is less sunken than on the A7750 version, even allowing for a ticking sub-dial, plus a quartz version could have the correct case thickness too.

However, as is always the case, only the gen is 100% gen-like....:D

webbo2005

The Quartz versions look shit though, show me a good Quartz if you dare.

kennycoder

The Quartz versions look shit though, show me a good Quartz if you dare.

Err.. there are none of navitimer yet. What Del is saying is that it WOULD be possible to achieve with quartz version. There are some good quartz reps like IWC 3714 and so on...

webbo2005
Del

Don't worry chaps, you're both correct! ;)

I've seen quartz versions before and they haven't been the best so what I was trying to elude to was that if someone made a high-quality quartz version then I reckon it could be a big hit! Unlikely to happen though...

kennycoder

There are no good is what I meant. Of course there is plenty if quartz crap.

Don't worry chaps, you're both correct! ;)

I've seen quartz versions before and they haven't been the best so what I was trying to elude to was that if someone made a high-quality quartz version then I reckon it could be a big hit! Unlikely to happen though...

I also don't get why don't factories invest a bit more in quartz. I mean there are a lot of good movements around. Take a look at bulova.. it is smooth as butter. Why isn't it an alternative for some closed back watches?... Lets hope..

Gazzla

Good review Nik. Enjoy your gen. ;)

kennycoder

Good review Nik. Enjoy your gen. ;)

Thanks mate. I wish I had your photography skills :(

Barth

Great side-by-side. Thanks, and enjoy the gen ;)

greg_r

Interesting comparison. Enjoy it, mate! :D

Tobybear

Very nice!

Arthuro

Thanks for this review. This one has been on my wishlist for a while.

TheSav

So which will you keep? :)

kennycoder

So which will you keep? :)

Gen <: It's a keeper for sure.

UmpaHimself
very nice thanks for the pics and review :) I like this type of watch, reminds me the Quartz model I had won on Auction from Robert back in the days. Maybe one day I will get a breitling again, this is really classic , like the Moon watch from Omega.

I agree. Been on the lookout for a gen at a good price.

northantsrich

This is such a nice watch its sooooooo frustrating they can't do a good rep of it.